Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my wife n I's 08 buck's
Well how come no one posts there hunting story's? My wife and I harvested I got a 3x4 wife tagged a 2x2 she was VERY VERY happy with it. I guess that's all that counts eh? I hunted in Southeast Idaho area (Franklin county) kinda wish i still had a deer tag every time i go out for a drive i run into bucks. No wall hangers but good enough for meat in the freezer. Our party got 4 bucks total and I'm going out Saturday for my cow elk hope i tag out with that as well... So far im 100% tagged out this year my turkey, deer, and hopefully my elk[cool].

I keep checking on this hunting forum to read others hunting stories but no one seems to post....
[signature]
Nice Job!! I think you may be cooking the wrong parts........[Wink]. I agree, not many posts here, so I will post another one with my daughters deer-me and the wife are eating tag soup it looks like!
[signature]
Hey congrats on the deer! As far as not posting anything on here, I've been chomping at the bit, but I can't seem to shoot anything [laugh][:/][laugh]. I've been out a few times for ducks, but they all just laugh at me when I shoot at them!
Anyway thanks for the post, and if/when I ever manage to shoot something, I'll let you know.
[signature]
I hunted a new area this year and I hunted it hard. It is the four point area, it whas a new experience. You wouldn't think so but when you see 15 or so 20 plus inch three's you end up doing a lot of stalking and glassing even though you know they're a good buck. The first buck we came across was about 2,000 yrd,s away, it looked good but couldn't tell points, so we snuck in. We got about 90 yrds away and just getting into sight when a bull elk burned over the hill and nearly stepped on the deer. the deer spooked into a close grove of maples, so me and one brother went into good shooting position, while the other watched to make sure he didn't sneek out on us. We was all set up when he came out but still couldn't tell points, he skylined and I'm guessing 6 plus points on each side, to late he was gone. We had a chance at a 30 inch but you would think we was muzzloader hunting he was about 350 yrds and we tried stalking in the fog, no good. After a few more days I finally ran into this buck, he's a five by five 23 wide 23 high.
[signature]
we were bow hunting the west side unit i am guessing thats were you were i ended up getting a nice 4x5 maybe 24 wide but out of the one 4 x 4 we spotted we counted 17 three points that were around the same size or bigger i wish they would change it to draw so they could thin those big 3's out.
[signature]
A picture is worth a thousand words........[cool]
[signature]
Agreed. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Or at least 100. Here is the buck I got in 07.
[signature]
well i didn't get my buck this year or my bull. got close a couple of times with my bull but my buddy who 80 yards behind me over the hill couldn't see me or the elk and he thought that he might of been callin to much so he quite cow talkin. it was a nice 5 point bull that was standin behind a small group of pines. he was at 35 yards and i had no shot. he needed to take 1 maybe 2 more steps and i would of had a shot. but when my buddy was quite for so long he got nervous and took off. but i did get my 60x tag filled. here is a pic of my doe.
i shot her with my bow at 24 1/2 yards out of my tree stand. i made a bad shot due to 2 things. one when i baaahed at her she didn't stop i had to say "Hey stop" then she was like what. but her she had the front half of her shoulder behind a bush i thought that i had enough room so i found my mark and let my arrow fly( by the way i was in full draw from about 1 min before i started to try and stop her) so i was kinda rushin my shot that is where i made my mistake. but i hit a stray twig so i thought that i shot underneither her so i waited about 15 min then climbed down and found my arrow and seen that it wasn't a miss like i thought that it was covered in blood and guts. so i knew that i mad a bad shot so i decided to let her lay down and not look for her till the mornin. so the next mornin i showed up and found where she was standin and tried to find the blood trail. i started getting scared when all i could find was her track. but this place was so tracked up that it made it really really hard and it was on dry . so i started to mark that spot and start lookin for her. with no luck i decided to go back to the tracks on my way back i just happen to look down and i found my first drop of blood so i started to follow it. it was the worst blood train. it was just pin dots of blood every 15 or 20 feet. the 2 pic were the most that i found in one spot which i am assummin she stopped for a sec. then after about 2 hours of doin that i came to some tall grass with a depression so i just went and look at the depressin thinkin that she might be there. well she wasn't but there was a poole of blood that was still wet. so i became a little more quite and sneaky while i was continuein. after that i found 3 or 4 more drops then in quite all together. at this time with the path that she took it was 70 to 80 yards away from my treestand. so i just started to look in a cicular pattern. then somethin out of the corner of my eye caught my eye and i looked under this willow that was on the edge of this pool of standing water. and there she was layin on her side with her legs straight out from here like she just fell over on her side. she wasn't very stiff so me lettin her lay down for the night was the best thing i could of done. so i looked to see where i hit her. my arrow clipped her back leg right at the point of the muscle just about 2 inches into the muscle passed there that clipped the belly openin it up about 3 inches with the insides handin out a little bit. and then passed completly through the middle of the other leg. but yeah that was my first kill out of a treestand. and my 3rd deer with my bow. i love that 60x tag. here is a pic of a deer that walked in after i shot my doe while i was waitin to go and check out my arrow. yeah yeah and here is a pic of my group at 30 yards so i can shoot i just need to calm down. i turn into a little kid again durin huntin season....
[signature]
Nice story thanks for the pix. i have a couple of stories like that myself. I think everyone gets a little excited and forgets how well they can shoot lol. Nice doe down in the southeast corner we are unable to harvest doe's, kinda wish we could some times they are the BEST eating....
[signature]
im sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree. my first harvest with my bow was a white tail fawn. now holly cow they are good nice and tender. mmmmmmmmmm...... we haven't had a whitetail population till recent years. but now they are starting to compete with the mule deer so they offer a general season tag for whitetale or mule deer but it is antlered only but then there is a whitetail tag and that is either sex. and that is in any wepon. the early archery opens aug. 30 till sept. 30 and that is either sex for mule or white. then close for general oct.10 to the 30th well it use to be this year it closes on the 24th. then opens again for archery from nov.1 to dec.19. ohhh and we have the x tags. they are extra tags. it allows you another deer but they are anterless only. that is a draw hunt but there is almost 2000 tags so your chances of drawin are good becuase it only applys to the southeastern part of idaho. and if you really want more deer then you can a non res. tag. but durin sept. i try to focus on my elk that is when they are in rut. but like i said them fawn are yummy yummy.
[signature]
thats a nice looking buck where did you find him
[signature]
i hunted hard last year in several places i found lots of does but didnt see any bucks . i did find a new spot for elk. hopefully i draw on it this year. hopefully i fill my tags this year so i can share some pics
[signature]