Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLYS ON MANTUA ANY GOOD?
I AM NEW TO FLYFISHING AND WAS WONDERING IF MANTUA IS ANY GOOD THIS TIME OF YEAR AND WHAT FLIES ARE GOOD TO USE SO MAYBE EVEN AN AMATEUR LIKE ME CAN CATCH A FEW FISH?

I HAVE ONLY FLY FISHED THE UINTAHS AND THE WEBER RIVER VERY LITTLE. I DID EXCELLENT IN THE UNINTAHS LAST YEAR, I COULDN'T KEEP THE TROUT OF MY FLY, BUT I GOT ONLY ONE BITE IN ONE DAY OF FISHING THE WEBER RIVER. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS SO THAT MAYBE I COULD CATCH MORE FISH AND NOT LOOK LIKE SUCH A FOOL OUT ON THE WATER[blush] SEND THEM MY WAY I AM SURE I WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATIVE.
[signature]
Hello. I was fishing on saturday on mantua adn I caught one largemouth about ten inches long on a streamer called a thin mint. I bouhgt it at al's sprting goods in logan but it has a tail with black, olive, adn brown marabou with about three or four strands of krystal flash in it the same length as the tail. It has a peacock herl body with a strand of krystal flash and a brown hackle wrapped around it and a tungsten bead for the head. I was on the north end of the island up in the cove just fishing it next to the cover. I saw one other guy in a pontoon boat land a trout but I dunno what he was using. It was a tough day with that bass beign the only one in 2 1/2 hours of fishin with four people, but the say that mantua is a the kind of lake where when it is on fire the fishing is great but when it is dead it is tough. I hope this helps you and good luck with the fishing.
[signature]
Hey, thanks for the useful information.

It sounds like Could try to tie that fly by myself. Experimenting with new flies is always

fun. I just have one question is there a special way to fish a streamer or is it

just like any other fly?
[signature]
There are two ways that i fish a streamer. i either cast the fly out to the water and dependign on wether I am using a sinking or floating line will dictate how long I let it sink before I start the retrieve. I either will slowly seim the fly back to me by running the line through my fingers and just slowly rotating my wrist and bringing the line back. Or I also will strip it back to me with a twitch then pause retrieve. I hope this helps you
[signature]
[cool]Until the water is warm enough to get the fish looking for topwater stuff, you will need to use a sink tip or full sinking line, to get your bass flied deeper. Use leeches, wooly buggers and crawdad patterns inched along the bottom, with the twisting line strip retrieve. For midwater to topwater, use light colored wooly buggers or minnow-imitating streamers. Vary your retrieve from slow and steady to using the rod tip to sweep or shivver the flies. Patterns are not nearly as important as size, color and presentation.

When bass are moving, they often respond to "action" on the flies. There are few things more exciting than a surface strike by an aggressive bucketmouth. If still slow from the cold, they might only suck it in, and it is difficult to feel them on a slack line retrieve. A good retrieve for both bluegills and bass is to point the rod right at the fly and keep your fingers in contact with the line at all times. That way you can feel the slightest tick, or hesitation. When you do feel something, start the strike by just pulling the line with your stripping hand. If there is a fishy feel on the end, go ahead and raise the rod to complete the hook set. If there is not the resistance of a fish, you don't waste a cast or spook fish by sweeping back on the rod and ripping the fly through the holding area.

Fly-roddin' bassers live for those crazy days of summer, post spawn, when bass always have their vision pointed upward for butterflies, moths, dragonflies, big hoppers, mice or other goodies that land on the water in their "killing zone". This is when big hair bugs, hoppers and poppers can produce "pacemaker" action. At this time, the streamers and wooly buggers formerly fished deeper, can also produce when "waked" across the surface, like feeding minnows, big bugs or small rodents.

During the hottest part of the summer, the bass feed early and late...and dive into the weeds to sulk during the hot part of the day. Get after them at daybreak, dusk or after dark. If you wanna talk about heart-stopping fishing, try having a big largie blow up on a big hair bug just as you are lifting it from the water to make another cast, on a dark night, while you are all alone on a small lake in your float tube. THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

TubeDude
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][size 3]Thanks guys sounds like you know your stuff. I always like trying out new things it especially when it can make for excellent fishing. I'll have to tie me up some streamers, I already have a few wooly buggers so maybe I'll take a quick trip up there this weekend but I'm still trying to decide where I'm going to go. Being such an amateur flyfisher maybe I better wait till not so many people are out on the water.[/size][/font]