Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Perch Report 11-7-08
[cool][#0000ff]After catching a few perch from a boat, while fishing Yuba with Bassrods last week, I decided to make a special shot at it with the tubes this week with TubeBabe along for assistance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hit one of those rare days on Yuba for this time of year. Air temp above freezing, no wind at all...all day...and water temps ranging from 49 to 53. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Interesting start. Decided to launch in front of the bridge, since the low water had the water's edge way out in front of the bridge...usually has water under it. We have done that many times in the past. But, as we drove toward the dry underside of the bridge there were sand berms I had never seen before. Stopped the Jimmy and got out to look before proceeding. Good I did. The north side of the bridge pilings was blocked by a deep trench cut into the road, to keep vehicles from passing. It wasn't marked and not possible to see before you dropped into it. The south side had no trench, but the soft sand would require 4 wheel drive and a fast shot to make it through. We plowed through and hit the beach. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just about the time we were getting ready to launch, we heard the sound of another vehicle coming down the access road and to the bridge. I saw that he was barreling toward the trench side and waved my arms to stop him. He waved back and KERPLUNK. His front wheels disappeared into the "sand canyon". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Turned out he was from St. George area and just came down to see the lake. He saw a lot more than he wanted. We had no tow rope or shovels. He had a jack and a small shovel. He was eventually able to get out by jacking up the front end and piling rocks from the dam under the wheels. Close call.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]As we were trying to come up with a plan, we noticed the "No Trespassing" sign that someone had torn down and tossed into the weeds, So, after getting the tubes ready to launch, I took our vehicle back up and parked off the road. Man. I have fished Yuba for over 35 years and it seems as if one by one they are closing down all of the access points for tubers...without having to pay a fee and use the ramp. I have a season pass, but it is no good anywhere but at the parks.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The fishing? We started by throwing crankbaits and spinner baits along as much shoreline and dam face area as we could reach with our tubes. Nary a sniff from any pike, trout or walleye. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, we rigged for vertical jigging for perch. Started in the same area that Bassrods and I had found a few last week. Nothing doing. Worked out into deeper water and finally found a few isolated fish in 35 to 40 feet of water. Also saw schools of baby perch on the sonar. Figured the bigguns would be in there feeding on them. We were right. Almost every large perch we caught was barfing up freshly eaten 2"-3" perchlets. In fact, one small perch I caught had the tail of a smaller one sticking out its mouth. As I took the picture, I noticed the tail of the smaller one wiggling. I pulled it out of the bigger fish's mouth and it was flopping around. That is fresh. Took another picture of predator and prey before releasing both...and both dove to the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fishing was not fast. One here and one there. Most perch were right about 11"...and fat. We kept a couple about 10 inches and several between 12" and 13". Tried a variety of jigs and tried both crawlers and perch meat as bait. Just about all of our perch were caught on 1/4 oz. chartreuse "ultra minnow" jigs...with TD custom recipe perch strips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, we saw grundles of fish on sonar, but a high percentage of them were probably carp. We caught several carp on our jigs and perch meat combos from as deep as 41 feet. Including one pic of a mirror carp with light coloring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We started out near the dam and worked back and forth from shallow to deep...25' to 43' (deepest spots in the lake)...from the dam to the ramp. At one point I got out near the ramp and hiked back to get the car and bring it down. We finished right out in front of the ramp and got our last 4 keepers in that area. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were some "dock danglers" fishing minnows off the end of the dock. I did not see them catch anything for the entire time they were there, but when they got ready to go they hoisted a small pike on a stringer...see pic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only about 3 or 4 boats on the lake. One turned out to be Brad Cutler...president of Rocky Mountain Anglers..and his boatmate. When asked if they had found any pike, his answer was "We were just running stabilizer through the motor to get it ready for winter." Sheesh. Took him all day to do it. Best excuse for a skunk I ever heard. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat, that was just one of the many excuses I have. If you ever need one give me a call. Thanks for he perch jigs, can't wait to give them a try.
Brad
ps I forgot to tell you I didn't have my Wheaties yesterday either.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It was good to see you again Brad. Good luck with the fish taxidermy business. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new fish, and your website when you get the link posted here on BFT.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What happened to the "please keep Walleye" message from the mighty Utah DWR? Wasn't there a healthy population of Walleyes in Yuba this year?

Did the Walleye population crash? Do the Utah DWR smoke dope?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have not had the opportunity to scour the bottom of Yuba in full diving gear, counting noses on the walleye population. However, based on experience with several boom-bust cycles in that lake...and a little basic knowledge of the species...I can make some guesses.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, I suspect that there REALLY ARE lots of walleyes in Yuba...but well-fed walleyes. Historically, walleyes with lots of natural food are very tough to catch on artificials...or even on dead natural bait. Now, if we could use live perch minnows....[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Second, with the heavy competition in the food chain from the piscivorous (minnow eating) carp population the perch to predator balance will tip even faster during this downward cycle. Once the number of predators exceeds the capacity of the perch to spawn enough food to sustain the entire food chain, CRASHO!!!.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As in times past, anglers will suddenly start catching large numbers of walleyes. A lot of the walleyes will appear thin...because they have been running out of small perch to eat. That is when they become easier targets for fishermen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water level in Yuba is the lowest I have seen it since it was drained in '03 and started refilling in '04. If we do not get a mega-winter, to have the lake full by perch spawning time, there will be no shoreline vegetation for the perch to spawn and the bust cycle will be upon us.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The reports and advice from DWR are valid and on target. There are plenty of walleyes in Yuba and it is a good idea to TRY to keep them thinned out. They are the primary cause of virtually every bust over the years...that and poor spawning caused by drought conditions. That is a deadly combination in Yuba. No perch spawn and too many walleyes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At one time there was a survey conducted by University of Utah (I think) in which it was proposed that walleye removed over ten times the biomass of perch from Yuba as anglers did...even during periods of heavy angler harvest. That survey did not even factor in the current condition of the massive carp population that has also been feasting on perch...from eggs to fry to subadults. I almost suspect that carp eat more young perch than the adult perch and walleye combined. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just my opinions. But I have had a lot of discussions with fellow perch jerkers over the past year or so and that seems to be a consensus opinion. However, we are pretty much forced to accept the "management" of DWR so we are much better at knowing the history than predicting the future.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have heard that Walleye are difficult to catch when there is plenty to eat. But folks catch them all the time in Canada and Minnesota. So I think there has got to be some sort of "deadly lure" for Walleyes. I bet there is one: live bait.[cool]

There are probably scores of "How to catch finicky Walleyes" articles. You can find them in fishing magazines and on the web. To sum it all up they are all hogwash.

I don't think you can coax any Walleye without live bait, seems that way to me.

So here is my solution: Legalize live bait in Utah for Walleye, and only for Walleye.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are on the right track. Live bait is the ultimate bait for walleyes. In the midwestern walleye waters serious walleye chasers almost always take the big three on a walleye safari...live minnows, worms and leeches. In fact, no winter ice fishing trip would be considered without having a bucket of minnows. Walleyes under the hard deck are REALLY tough to catch on "naked" jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course it is only an unrealistic dream to get live minnows legalized for ANY kind of fishing in Utah. Right up there with getting corn approved as a bait for CARP ONLY. Never gonna happen. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah DWR is very progressive...for the 19th century. You have to set your watch back 100 years when you are hired for a position with DWR.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry Drew...just kiddin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]