Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine help
My evinrude 115hp engine was running fine at full throttle when all of a sudden it seemed that the prop must of came off because it stopped pushing the boat.I pulled the egine up and it was still there. I put the engine down and put it in gear and it started out ok again it picked up speed but when i full throttled it again the same it ould not push the boat fast but the engine was reving high. I tried reverse and it worked fine but the same it would not go fast in reverse. You can go up to 15rpm any faster and the the engine would not push the boat and the engine would rev high. Anyone know if this will be a cheap fix because if its expensive i would rather put the boat away for the winter and fix it next spring.I would rather have some xmas money than a boat thats nt going to be used in the winter.
[signature]
Sorry man but you might want to put it to bed for the winter. From what I can read from your post, I'm afraid the dog clutch that does the shifting in the lower unit has croaked. That ain't gonna be a $1.95 fix.
[signature]
Cesar, if it is in consolation to you, the last time I took my boat out the lower unit started making lots of noise, especially in reverse. I hooked a garden hose to it when I got home and the prop wouldn't turn at all in reverse, unless I gave it almost full throttle and then it just barely turned. It didn't make any noise in my driveway, but I'm sure that it will cost a pretty penny to repair, assuming it is even repairable (it is an old outboard).
[signature]
I took my boat to Jones marine in payson they used to be the owners of theold eagle marine. They showed me my prop and thats the problem hopefully. I talked to the prop doctor in orem and he says it would cost maybe up to $100 to repair it a new is $165 so i just got the new one.
[signature]
Curious what was wrong with the prop. You got off easy. I can only hope that I am so lucky.
[signature]
Great news, after reading your post I thought about the problems that I had -- I also lost my prop guard on that trip. I just pulled the prop and found that the tines (whatever they are called) on the prop were almost sheared off and that is probably my only problem. I have a spare prop already, so I should be good to go for Saturday. I hate to replace a prop, but certainly much less expensive than repairing the lower unit.
[signature]
Changing a prop is easy and cheaper than having an engine fixed for sure. I am also glad i am going to be getting out to strawberry this saturday who knows if there is going to be any good weather left after this weekend.
[signature]
Unfortunately, after visiting a prop shop I am not so sure that I have found my problem.[frown] If I still have problems tomorrow I will be sure to stay close to the launch ramp.
[signature]
I will be at the berry tomorrow the whole day. I put my prop on and i am hoping too thats what my problem was. I gues i will find out first thing tomorrow morning. Are you going to be at the bery tomorrow or somewhere else? If you are at the berry we can keep in cotact with the marine radios. I always stay on channel 16 and i do a radio check once i am out on the water just to see who has one.I only get response from the marina .God luck out there tomorrow.
[signature]
My problem definitely wasn't the prop. It seems to run fine going forward, but if I shift into reverse it sometimes works, but often it doesn't.
[signature]
That really sucks the prop would have ben an easy and least expensive fix. My new prop worked really good i am glad i replaced it because i would have not made it across strawberry bay from the narrows with the waves being that big.
[signature]
Did you up the prop pitch?
[signature]
Kept the same size thats what the boat mechanic told me to do.
[signature]
Cesar, you still haven't said what was wrong with your old prop?
[signature]
i dont know how to explain it but on the back of the prop is a rubber part that wears off over time i cant remember what its called but i think it is the hub.Anyway once it wears down the prop wont get traction and will not spin.The motor will go but the boat will stay still. It was an easy fix cost me $165 for a new one and it took me less than a minute to put it on.
[signature]
I know exactly what you are talking about. Sure wish that was also my problem.
[signature]