Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i/o board motor question
Ive alway had out boards so i never cared to learn about in/ot motor care. My new boat is an i/o do i need to drain the block if it has antifreeze?
[signature]
I'm with you on inboards but I would think you would be OK if you have anti-freeze in the motor. Hopefully
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=GEEZER"]GEEZER[/url] will respond to your post, he is a wealth of information when it come to boat motors. You could also ask Lee.
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
I'm curious what kind of boat is it and what size motor?
[signature]
[Smile]My Bayliner inboard has the 4 cylinder volvo engine. It has a two stage coolant setup, with a heat exchanger (radiator) containing antifreeze coolant, which has sea water coolant circulated through it.

The sea water part of the system has to be drained and the pump for the sea water at least loosened to allow residual water to drain.

I would check the manual or local Marine place to make sure what your system is like.

Good Luck.
[signature]
I have the 4 cyl chev in my Bayliner and all I do is drain the block and the exaust manifold then start it for a few seconds with the outdrive in the down position. I fish year round with mine and never had any problems!! What did ya buy ya Jason??
[signature]
17.5ft galaxie starion 120hp in/out volvo-penta
[signature]
Congrats on getting a new boat.........[Smile]............I've had a few of both i/b and o/b's over the years.I've fished all year long with both.One of them was a 120 hp also.Every time I'd pull it out of the water I drain the motor only by taking 1 bolt out of the bottom of the block and 1 on each side of the exhaust.I didn't mind doing it because it was a good way to warm your hands up because the motor always had warm water come out.Then just like your out board put your out drive all the way down and let all the water out.I'd start it for about 15 seconds and make sure all the waters out............but please don't just listen to me I'd hate for you to have any problems but I think it wouldn't be to hard for you to get the job done.Good luck..........[fishin]
[signature]