Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a little info/help on Costa Rica surf fishing...
Hey Guys,

I am a member living in Utah, heading down to Costa Rica for two weeks in Jan. I am taking my fly rod and also a spinning rod. I need a little help on surf fishing. I have read some good reports on Costa Rica from the shore for Snook and Mackerel and possibly Roosterfish and Tarpon if lucky. Have read about Mirrolures and Xraps, bucktail jigs. Any advice on sizes, other lures? Also what lb. mono or braid would you use and leader? I was thinking 15 lb. mono with 20-40 lb. flourocarbon leader. Any advice is helpful and if anyone has fished Costa Rice tips would be great. I am staying on the pacific side near Ocotal. I don't get much Salt fishing in Utah (trout guy) but I am more drawn to saltwater fishing everytime I am near the ocean. Thanks Remo
[signature]
I just got back from that area. The surf fishing is getting better since the hurricane season is just about over. Don't forget to bring some rain gear. There are not many days out of the year that it doesn't rain.

You should do good with a fly rod. You may want to get some of the Boomer line. It will allow you to do longer shoots with less false casting.

Roosters and macks are the prize down there right now. Most of the Tarpon are on the Atlantic side but that East side can be brutal most of the year.

Bring along some of your bigger Clousers in black and purple colors. Mango flies are also a killer there.[cool]
[signature]
Hi everyone,

remo_5_0 - sorry I use your post to ask a few questions my self but it turns out that I am from Costa Rica and currently got back from Ocotal Beach on a short vacation.... I went fishing but most I did was trow a line with dead bait into the ocean and got lucky a couple of times... nothing big but it was fun.

So I decided to get into fishing more seriously because it is something I have always wanted to do and living here in Costa Rica .. well, you all know!!

I need help, basically all I have is a Quatum XR4 reel I bought a few years ago but never used ...so is brand new. I want to try surf fishing and of course need to get me gear first... so, what would anyone recommend? Rod? is my reel (Quatum XR4) good for surf fishing? What about bait? Live, dead or artificial??

Anyways, any advise will be greatly appreciated... I dont know a good fishing store here as to go for advise and buy the gear, but I will be flying to New York City this weekend and want to get everything there ... I will be in Manhattan so if anyone can point me into the right place it would be nice too....

RjAg
[signature]