Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Ice Fishing Safety
Just wanted to start a thread to talk about ice fishing safety. As new ice starts to form we need to be vigilant and careful so no one ends up on the news.

My first safety tip is know the lake you are fishing. Some lakes freeze cold and hard and fast while others develop more slowly and may have springs or other thermal features that create air pockets and bubbles that make the ice unsafe until it is much thicker.

For those crazy people like myself who venture out early in the season I would wear a life jacket and carry a throw rope in a place that you can get to quickly.

Ok ice fisherman add to this thread so we can think about safety as the ice fishing begins.

Windriver
[signature]
As an ice fishermen who ventures out onto newly formed ice several times throughout the ice fishing year, I would recommend bringing an axe to hit the ice as you go. If you hit through on one hit, start walking back. If you only have an auger, drill holes every 10-20 feet when on less than 3"s to make sure it doesn't go less than 2"s. And never go alone early in the season. And have lots of fun but leave the big fish for me.[:p]
[signature]
Early in the season I like to take a few friends with me. They usually out weigh me so I send them out first.[Wink]
If they don't fall threw neither will I.
[signature]
Unless they leav you some weak ice to walk across.[Wink]

I also get nervous fishing with large guys on warm days on less than 4"s. They might just take you down with them.
[signature]
I used to pull a aluminum canoe early in the year as my ice sled. Throw rope for sure- also I hate to see guys drill with the huge diameter augers- I have seen a little girl almost go thru one that was covered with snow- just gave me the shivers.
[signature]
Agreed on the auger. There seems to be a lot of people who use them in Idaho. My foot has gone through more then once and it sucks.
[signature]
I have a pair of ice picks that I hang around my neck. These will help me to pull myself out if I do go through. I also have a rope anchored to something on shore. I also make it a point to stick close to an area that is close to the shore. No reason to venture across the lake when you can catch fish early in the season by the shore. I haven't fallen through yet, but I'm positive that it will happen at some point in time. It's just a matter of being prepared when it does.

Brady
[signature]
These are all great suggestions. I really like the idea of tying a rope to something on shore and not going out farther than the rope will reach. I worry that someone will take a four wheeler out too early and have it go through the ice. I have not heard of anyone in this area dying from breaking through the ice so maybe its safer than floating the river. It seems like every year someone drowns during the summer.

Steelfisher
[signature]
Here is a link to an ice fishing forum that is worth looking at.

[url "http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=87684.msg860808#msg860808"]http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=87684.msg860808#msg860808[/url]

Steelfisher
[signature]
Grew up in Minnesota Icefishing. Here is what Dad told me.

You have to have something sharp to pull u out #1...that is how most die.

Most people just splash around tring to pull themselves up and out on the slick ice.

Dad always made me carry a long pole with a nail in it. Tie a rope to it to your waist and the middle of the pole if you want to be even safer as you will have a lifeline back to the hole.

Good for testing in front of you and if you fall in you have something to get you out with the pole or sharp nail.

I haven't been Icefishing in ten years since I moved here.....now I really want go.

Scott
[signature]
I really appreciate you starting this thread and all of the comments posted so far. My son and I really enjoyed ice fishing last winter but I definetly worry about safety.
I have seen bass anglers wear small pull-cord-to-inflate life vests in Florida. Does anyone wear those out here?

Thanks again for the important tips.
[signature]
I think that would be a great idea. I do not worry as much later in the season. This is the time of year when people including myself push the limits.

I just bought a throw bag. They are meant for rafting but I think they will work great for ice fishing it straps on a belt loop and is a self contained unit that has 70 feet of good strong rope. You simple slip the loop over your wrist and throw the bag at your target. The bag is florecent and floats so victim can see where to grab the rope. I hope I never have to use it but I will have it with me just in case. If I am testing ice I will give it to a person on shore.

Windriver
[signature]
Here is a link to a great video on how to survive if you do fall through the ice.

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k[/url]

Please watch it could save your life.

Windriver
[signature]
Was out exploring today and I found a couple spots right close to town that are starting to freeze. Gem Lake by the dam has ice (not sure how thick). A few miles further south I found another spot that had about 1 inch of ice that was crystal clear. It made a really interesting almost musical sound when I threw rocks on it. If it doesn't get too warm in the next 1-2 weeks we could be fishing on hard water really soon. I imagine that mud lake and Ririe probably have similar type conditions but I have yet to check them personally.
[signature]
Ririe always takes much longer than the rest of the local waters to freeze. I would be very surprised if we are fishing Ririe before January.

Windriver
[signature]