Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raritan river Stripers??
Has anyone ever heard or seen Stripers come up the Raritan River? I could swear I saw Stripers swimming up by the 287 Bridge...
[signature]
YES!!!!!!!! There are stripers up there. I discovered them about 12 years ago while trout fishing. The biggest bass tha I have witnessed in person that was caught up there was about 10lbs. That was 3 or 4 years ago.

Striped bass come in varieties. remember you hybrids and so on that are land locked in the middle of the country.

If your going to target them, use big shiners, killies, or lures. Come to thunk about it, large worms will work well also.

Good Luck!

Tom
[url "http://www.jerseytackle"]www.jerseytackle[/url].***
[signature]
Would they still be up there? I know someone who caught a small 15 incher up by the three bridges behind Manville in June, and someone who said they caught a few by the big waterfall in the Millstone by weston canal road in April.
[signature]
I do not know the area too well that you are refering to, but from what I know about striped bass, I would take a guess at saying yes. I would think that you will have a population that will stay year long if the food source is there. We have caught them in the Manasqaun river, in the middle of winter while looking for sea run brown trout. They adapt very well. My thoughts are you will probably find some there. If they are that small, they will probably spend most of their life there. It may also be a breeding ground for them. This is something that has caught my interest now. I wil have to do a lil' research and I will get back to you with what I find.

[url "mailto:tom@jerseytackle.com"]tom@jerseytackle.com[/url]

[url "http://www.JerseyTackle"]www.JerseyTackle[/url].
[signature]
Raritan is a great place for Stripers. In fall they fill the bay up and often head up the rivers. Look for bait and if your by 287 do you mean the Driscoll bridge? Look for birds they should be in that area good chance you can still get them now. In spring time there will be another run end of march to early june. At that time you can expect them to head way up in the rivers. Watch tide charts to tell you the best times to go hunting for them.
[signature]
It is possible but I don't think they run up yhe Raritan like they do in the hudson the only way to know for sure if you saw stripers up that way is to fish there I am sure some do go up that way let us know if you catch any
[signature]