Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Dec 10
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here's 5,000 of them. Tired, need a drink. Water 39 - 44 degrees. Ambient air temp 28 degrees. Flat as my exwife colder than a Siberian Outhouse.
No ice on lake anywhere.
1 fish trolling. Took TWO 2 lures. Both cranbkbaits; 1 yo-Zuri one Walmart renegade.
Time: Exactly as the moon was rising. See pictures. Another confirmation of my theory about moon rising and moon setting.

Area: west of island by painted rocks. 12' water. long lining.

Size; 10 lbs 34 inches. Ripped his mandible off trying to untangle lures. Treble in my hand. Dead fish! Like Alton Brown says "Good Eats!".

Item of interest: I was on the cell phone talking to the aquatics manager of the central region whining about the lack of fish when he hit. Foot in mouth, but still think that 1 fish for every 3 days of fishing is too few. DWR cares less. They don't want Northerns in there. Afraid they'll eat the walleye. Guess what? Too late.

Mixing drink. Good Night. Still can't figure out how to put pics in line. Help ...No help. These pic's reduced to this size are bogus. I'm going to add 1 pic that you can see. A duplicate.
[signature]
Awesome pez!

I am planning my trip down there for the 28th, so hopefully the ice wont have hit yet!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Oh my word you obsessed man! Great fish. And what next, this weekend is suppose to be pretty stormy with falling barometric pressure, what I wonder, will you make of this? I desperately want to fish Yuba this weekend.[/#000000][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Did you get a chance to look at the condition at the Painted Rocks ramp?
[/#000000][/font][signature]
Man that is awesome! I love it when people get obsessed with a certain type of fish and do well catching them. If you keep this up I won't be surprised to see you break the record. They say someone should be getting the next record soon because the pike are doing well and getting bigger.

And don't worry about the dead fish, there is no shame in harvesting pike from Yuba. We need to be taking some out anyway.
[signature]
[quote line_dangler][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Oh my word you obsessed man! Great fish. And what next, this weekend is suppose to be pretty stormy with falling barometric pressure, what I wonder, will you make of this? I desperately want to fish Yuba this weekend.[/#000000][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Did you get a chance to look at the condition at the Painted Rocks ramp?
[/#000000][/font][/quote]

I think the fishing might be excellent. A collapsed barometer following a period of barometric highs, a full moon. The sun will b e rising about 7:40 and setting around 5:00. There wont be any periods of moon rise during daylight hours, but the other factors will falll in place.

The real key to catching a trophy pike is to be on the water as much as possible. You have to really want one of these big fish to put up with long fishless days, casting until it feels like your arm is going to fall off. The more you fish the lake the better you know its idiosyncrasys. The longer you have a lure in the water the higher the probability it will get in front of a big fish.

When it is bitter cold, like yesterday morning I will troll the shoreline until it warms up then slowly work areas like the island near painted rocks, the cliffs at painted rocks, the narrows and other structure like gravel bars that come into the lake casting crank and swim baits.

We've caught fish on so many types of lures it is hard for me to make a recommendation. Perch and carp are the main prey so lures that emulate them work the best.

The cold water is making the fish lathargic. When you are casting slow it down a little.

Dead bait is probably the number one producer of pike and although we have never used it, a dead minnow dropped adjacent to the rocks at painted rock might do the trick.

Good luck on your venture. The water level is coming up fast and you shouldn't have a problem launching at painted rock unless the ramp gets icy with theh storm. Let us know how you do, and who knows I might se you down there if I get my boat cleaned up b efore the storm hits.
[signature]
I have the long fishless days part down [Wink]

Excellent report. So the pike are a good eatin fish? I have never kept one..... Not that I have caught that many -
[signature]
They actually arent too bad. . . .for being fish anyway. Try a smaller one if you're going to try it. Pezvela gave me his smaller one and I had my 27 incher and the smaller one was better in my opinion.
[signature]
I've for a few bags of minnows if you wanna try it out? Maybe I'll try that at the ned of this month.
[signature]
how did you prepare it? Is it most suited to smoking or...???

thoughts ... anyone Smile
[signature]
[quote HaggardW]how did you prepare it? Is it most suited to smoking or...???

thoughts ... anyone Smile[/quote]

Pike is a white, mild flaky meat with little fat and might not be suitable for smoking, I prefer to fillet it, remove the Y bones by cutting them out with a small sharp kife. Then they can be prepared by any recipe suitable for walleye, perch and other similar fish. I season mine w/garlic salt, white pepper and kosher salt, dust with flower, roll in egg/milk batter and finally, coat with panko crumbs. Pan fry in butter and ev olive oil. Serve with a splash of lemon juice.

Like ratstar, I believe the small ones are better eating. I killed the 10lber because he had two lures in his maw and when I was trying to remove one of them, the second impaled me with a treble hook to the hand. As I was trying to get the hook out of me I ripped the mandible from it. I didn't believe it could successfully feed with a major portion of its mouth ripped off so I dispatched it.

I'm not seeing many small pike in Yuba. This concerns me so except for extenuating circumstances, like a treble hook through my hand, I wouldn't normally kill one. If someone want to kill one, I take no issue with it. What ever makes your bum hum.
[signature]
The end of the month after christmas offers the best opportunity for trophy fish until spring and ice off. Remember the fish I posted during thanksgiving and the conditions I attrributed it to? Here's a post from the Nevada board that found those identical conditions and their unbelievable catch. Believe in the moon!

Big strippers fod AC plugs again. Check it out.
http://www.acplugs.com/...viewtopic.php?t=1346

I'll think about the minnows. Depending on the wind this week-end, I might sit it out. Yuba can be dangerous in a high wind coming in with the front. Tight lines
[signature]
good info and thanks a bunch...

I would tend to agree on that type of fish, being rare and all, probably best to let em go and propagate ..... there are plenty of perch that need eatin....

ya got a luv when they bite back [Wink] its a cool story anyway

thanks again,
[signature]
Once again the mighty Pezvela wins the battle of the Pike. Congrats and keep up the awesome reports, I really need to get back to Yuba and try for the monster. If a couple of us don't get there soon you WILL be the one to break the record[sly]. Thanks again for sharing.
[signature]
28th will be my day trip. Gonna catch a monster this time, may not be a state record but I know I'll catch at least one big one. I'm more prepared, better schooled and more excited!

I'm just crossing my fingers Yuba wont be froze over. I want to cast!!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Won't be hitting Yuba this weekend. I would like to spend a whole 2 days there when I go. As of now, the weather and wind reports make me think there could be some high wind. I'll take your advice and plan for around the end of the month. Thanks for all the help you have given. [fishin][/#000000][/font]
[signature]