Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Tips, Tricks, Tackle, Tools, Techniques, and lessons learned of 2008
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]Last year I posted [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=375870;#375870"]a post[/url] inviting all to share some of their favorite tips and tricks that we had discovered over the year. Man, what a bunch of great ideas that came from that thread. So I thought it might be fun to do it again this year. So post up your favorite tips, tricks, gadgets, gismos, and even lessons learned that this year has brought you.

I’ll start with a list of mine:

1) Finally, a pair of boots that actually keep my feet warm. Now, with my feet warm all day in this cold weather, I feel warm all over. 2000 grams of Thinsulate do the trick. I paid $140 for them but right now they are [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033812830667a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=83-0667&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1"]on sale in the bargain basement at Cabela’s for $105[/url].

[Image: s7_830667_imageset_01?%24main-Large%24]

2) WD-40 sprayed on braded line to keep it from freezing. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=451712#p451712"]Thanks curt69 for posting that little tid-bit.[/url] I put it to work at Bear Lake Friday … works great.

3) Home smoked whitefish … yumm. Just bought my first [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005854510706a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=little+chief+smoker&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_requestid=211&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1"]Little Chief smoker[/url]. I also purchased a garbage can to put over the top of it when smoking to provide some insulation while smoking in these cold outside temperatures. I drilled 10 small holes in the bottom of the metal garbage can so that the air/smoke can circulate while smoking. The garbage can also works well as a storage unit so that mice can’t get to it. [url "http://www.kutv.com/content/outdoors/story/Smoked-Whitefish/5qdvIKEINkuuQP_idf7Gmg.cspx"]Thanks BLFG[/url]. I put it all together along with a bucket of white fish from Bear Lake and walla … tasty treats.

[Image: s7_510706_imageset_01?%24main-Large%24]

4) Head lamps. This has got to be one of my all time favorite discoveries. No more holding flashlights or spotlights for night time boat prep. Now, everywhere I look, I can easily see. Tip … get them at Wal-Mart where they are under $10. Cabela’s charge $30 and up.

[Image: s7_517966_imageset_02?%24main-Medium%24]

5) [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=456284;#456284"]A piece of carpet to stand on to change shoes/clothes[/url]. For $2 at RC Willies, I purchased two pieces of carpet … one for me and one for Bait_Caster. Sure works great. Thanks TubeDude.

6) A 3x5 card where I make notes to myself and leave it on the windshield of my truck. The night before a fishing trip, I keep thinking of things I must not forget the next morning. So, the 3x5 card has notes like: Apply sunscreen, get the pre-cut bait from the freezer, take my pills, and get lunch from the fridge. Now I can sleep better and not worry wondering if I will be able to remember everything.

7) [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=394940;#394940"]Rod storage case for rough transport of my ice-fishing rods.[/url] Inexpensive arrow cases from Sportsman’s make pretty good storage cases that protect against the bouncing around in the sled out to the ice hole. Credit for this idea goes to Petty4Life.

Well, there are the things that stick in my mind of cool things I discovered during the 2008 fishing year. [/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]
So, what cool tips, tricks, gadgets, or even lessons learned did you discover this year that made an impression on you and your fishing? Post them up for all to read and ponder.

I dig this BFT Web site.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
I changed up this year by only allowing myself to fish for 5 hours max.....this has reduced the wear and tear on my back.

I also was introduce to "Pro Cure" products by Petty and Rileyfish, great product that has proven itself many times.

And lastly, I now have my wife fishing with me. She has really gotten into driving the boat so I can concentrate on my lines. Great to have a companion aboard to chat with too.
[signature]
lesson learned! :

no matter how far i have to fly, or how long i stay up, spending a week at lake powell with Trout_Slayer, his wife (my sis in law), and our dad, is worth every sleepless night in the world!
[signature]
Lessons learned, a new snowmobile out performs an old one in the Strawberry slush monsters. so I got an updated sled, lol. [Wink]

the little slides on the ice tent wear out when you are traveling at 60 MPH on the ice. Also when traveling that fast gear gets pretty spread out over the ice when the sled turns over. [shocked]

Bait is cheaper when you catch it. [blush]

I am thankful that I have yet one more year to play on the ice, Its my favorite time of year, As well as my favorite way to fish. I cant wait to see you all on the ice...
[signature]
[Smile]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Old Coot,[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]those are some great tips. I drop several black bobbers into my ice hole. They keep the ice from freezing (most days) unless your at Scofield [Wink][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]I always carry my wheeler tire chains and tighteners just in case along with a good tow strap for helping those guys that forget their chains.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]I also carry starter fluid to spray on the ice auger when it thinks it's too cold to start.[/#0000bf]
[signature]
Was fishing Mirror lake with my wife this summer. We were catching fish but even more fish were attacking the little red bobber stop bead up at the bubble. Finally got smart and put a little red bead infront of the fly I was using. Couldn't keep the fish off after that.
[signature]
Those are some great tips, the good boots and head lamps are ones I have discovered as well! Nothing beats warm/dry boots in the winter! I have two to contribute...

My number one tip this year has to be smelly jelly/procure on a jig...in the past I just tipped with a worm and found myself missing hook sets, now I have to really pay attention, because if I don't they swallow it like powerbait!

Number two...Carry a short stick with a nail through it onto the ice...I haven't had the opportunity to try this, but in theory is a great idea. If you happen to fall through the stick will allow you to pull yourself out of the water and back onto the ice...In theory!
it doew work. but make 2 small hand sized sticks. drill wholes threw ends. put a cord long enouff to go hand to hand. then thread threw coat arms. they will hang right where needed always. i made mine from points off a sharp 2 point mule deer with braided leather strap. saw it on chanle 7 escimo dude had some i liked. lol[fishin] shared waxing sled bottoms last yr.
[signature]
My best lesson this year was taught by my son: don't be scared to try new lures now matter how rediculous it may be!!

I had bought him some new lures and jigs for Willard and we were at pineview fishing for tigers and smallies. He was dead set on getting every new lure wet so after an hour or so of constant asking I told him go ahead and try it but it's not going to work up here. First cast he hooked and landed a 30" tiger musky. Not only that, he had another one one that came unbuttoned. So don't be afraid to try new things, it may look silly to us but the fish don't care.......sometimes

I'll have to try that WD-40 on the braided line, sounds good.
[signature]
That is a great idea, but beware. If a warden happens by and sees that, you might get a ticket for fishing with a gaff. You never know.[crazy]
[signature]
Pro Cure and RMT tackle were the favorites for me this year.
Also, the "worm grunting" post has got me wanting to try it.
And 1 more thing, If you are going to stay all night on the ice, put a piece of carpet over the ice minus the area your holes are in, and use lite flannel blankets to wrap the walls of your tent to keep it nice and toasty in sub-zero temps.[cool]
[signature]
I am going to try and make a set of what you had described....I am a newbie to Ice fishing, so I am still learning something new or better every time out!
I have been wondering about worm grunting too! I plan on using your tips on Insulating your Ice shelter, once I get a shelter. I am trying to pick one up before the burbot bash!
The carpet thing is a good idea, I've got a dozen or so 2'x2' squares that I was going to throw away.
As far as learning new things...I need a 23 pitch prop to get some more 'oomph' out of my motor...cha-ching$ [mad] Sometimes when fishing going back to the old trusty plastic or crank catches the most fish. I learn this every year and continue to buy new stuff...Do not sit too close to the heater in the ice tent...do you smell that? I HATE flourocarbon. When going on long trips pack everything you don't think you will need. The one thing that stands out the most in my mind was the most dissapointing but it taught me to respect the true sportsmen and women out there amongst us.
[signature]
i to tell the truth ive never had to use them. i only pack them at first ice. 2 to 3 inches after that no reason. have fun this stuff is addicting!!! best tip never fish for perch at night. lol [Wink]
[signature]
The most important thing I have learned this year. If you want to catch fish even if you are a nube, read BFT everyday. I have caught more bigger fish in more places in a few months. Than i have in my entire life. Thanks to all who have shared your knowledge. [:p]
[signature]
A little trick I use , is buy a mister jigger from sportsmans warehouse . Then cut a piece of plastic Packaging material off of a package and super glue a clothes pin on to it this makes a sail that will clip on to your rod , and if there is any breeze it will jig your lures for you while you tend your other poles . In the picture the pole to the right of my ice shanty is what I am talking about . If you look real close you will see the plastic sail . Also if you are having troulbe with your guides freezing on to your line just spray your line with WD40 works like a charm . Thanks Curt G.
[signature]
You ever have on of those days when you are bring in one fish after another? And you try to remember how many? I have some pennies in my tackle box that I have that I move from one compartment to another. They only cost a penny a fish and there reusable[Smile].
And if you need more you always have a few in your pocket. I counted my pennies and knew what was the most fish I caught in a day for the season.

It works for me
[signature]
A similar trick to the penny one is to use a golf counter or other cheap counter that you can click each time you catch a fish. But me-I just lie and double whatever I have caught for the day and call it good. [sly]

My favorite tip for this year is whole minnows 'wacky rigged' on a circle hook-use anywhere there are cutts or tigers. Also float out along rocky shorelines and cast a LC pointer 65 within a couple inches of shore and reel in with jerky movements-some wicked hits from those tigers. [cool]
[signature]
For night burbot fishing at the Gorge with tipups, add a jingle bell to the tip of the flag (audio alert) and a button LCD light at the base of the flag. When a fish hits, you hear it, and the light instantly illuminates which tipup is engaged.
[signature]