Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield Question
I am planning on hitting Chesterfield Monday morning with my family. It has been several years since I last fished there.

Where should I start looking and what should I use?

Thanks ahead of time.

Windriver
[signature]
I tried to make it to Chesterfield this week on Tuesday but was unable because of unplowed roads. After nearly getting stuck on several occasions we made it to the final turn off but the access road hadn't been plowed. I would have hiked in, but my girlfriend and dad weren't up to it. It would have been quite difficult breaking through the thigh and waist high drifts.

If you're planning on going I would make sure the road is plowed or be ready to possibly hike/snowshoe the last one mile in (unless you have a snowmachine of course). I know the road normally gets plowed, but with the frequent storms we've been getting there are higher priorities.

With that being said, it's typically not that difficult to find fish at Chesterfield. I've had good luck in the shallow flats at depths ranging from 5 to 25 feet (I've caught the majority of the larger fish in 5-6 feet). My outfit of choice would be a small maribou or rubber jig tipped with a meal worm or nightcrawler. The action is usually fast early in the morning just after sunrise and gets progressively slower as the day goes on. With as much snow as there is it will be hard to hike very far to different locations but I've always done well just off the access road along the west side of the lake. Hope this helps and let me know how it goes because I may try to make it up there this week as well.

Cole
[signature]