Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican Lake
I'm planning a trip out to Pelican Lake tomorrow. Has anybody been out there in the last couple of days that could provide an ice report?

Also, I would like to appologize for my inactivity on this forum over the last year or so. I'm getting a late start this season and last season was cut very short as I came down with bronchitis for three months after my 2nd trip out. Here's to hoping for a better ice season this year.
[signature]
I was out there on Monday and fished out from the boat ramp about 400 yards in 10 feet of water. The bite was steady and I limited on bluegill in 3 hours. No bass, however, I didnt try closer to the reed line where the bass normally hang out. Have a fun trip!
[signature]
thanks for the report huntnchucky can you tell us what the ice conditions were when you were there last. Thickness and how the edges are, if you need a board to get on along the shore yet. thanks and good luck fishing
[signature]
Ice was a solid 6 in most places. Solid on the edge.
[signature]
thanks for the ice conditions and fishing report. I'm hoping to get down there soon and take my wife and kids.[fishin]
[signature]
A couple of buddies and I went to Pelican last Monday and limited on blue gills and caught about 11 bass. One of the bass was 15 inches and pretty nice.

The bite was steady. We will be going back soon hopefully. I wish that lake was closer.
[signature]
Do the fish, especially the gills still have the parasites or what ever they are in the meat?
[signature]
Yes most still have them...The bigger the fish the more like to have them...
[signature]
I'm glad to hear that, they are not so dry when you bite into a fillet. [:p]
[signature]
I went out Dec 3rd on the east side and did ok till the wind got blowing more than we liked. Got into decent bluegill but couldn't find the big ones this time. Found several fun bass 13" to 15". The lake has risen several inches since Christmas and where we were the shoreline was slushy for several feet (only a few inches of water) making water proof boots helpful. The ice in our area was 12 inches and no slush.
[signature]
Do the parasites effect humans? I want to fish there on Friday. I haven't heard anything about these parasites, but I don't want to get sick or anything either.

Are they microscopic or can you tell when you catch if they have them or not?
[signature]
I have been told that they don't hurt people when cooked, but I don't like to eat worms that look like tape worms...

They are all through the meat, I guess its up to you if you like to eat worms....The bass and Blue gills are fun to catch and release anyway...
[signature]
I just pop them out like popping a pimple after I fillet them, I've been eating fish out of there since 77 and I ain't dead yet.[:p]
[signature]
You can, but like I said I don't...
[signature]
That sounds kinda gross[:/] Pop out the parasites like pimples?
I think I may pass on that reservoir. Can anybody else weigh in on this and let me know what you think about the parasites in Pelican??
[signature]
[font "Arial"][#000080][size 4]"Grubs" in My Fish, Should I Worry?[/size][/#000080][/font][font "Arial"][#000080]
[/#000080][/font][font "Arial"][#800000][size 4]LaDon Swann
[/size][/#800000]Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Program[/font]

[font "Arial"]Summer is the season when most farm pond owners enjoy their ponds the most, either by fishing, swimming, or simply relaxing pond-side. During the peak periods of usage, anglers occasionally find parasites on the fish they catch. They are called "grubs." Grubs are the most commonly reported parasite living on fish because they are the easiest to see with the unaided eye. [/font]
[font "Arial"]The grubs we see are really flukes (Trematods). The three most common flukes we encounter in our farm pond fish are the yellow grub, white grub, and black spot. When removed from the fish’s flesh and cooked properly, the presence of the flukes do not pose a human health problem.[/font]
[font "Arial"]To better understand the flukes found on farm pond fish, some information on the life cycle of the flukes is necessary. Flukes are parasites that spent part of their life cycle in two or three animals. To eliminate the parasite you must break the life cycle of the fluke. The animals required to complete the life cycle of the flukes involve birds, and fish and sometimes snails. [/font]
[font "Arial"]The yellow grub is a large grub which spends most of its life in the mouths of herons. When the yellow grub leaves the heron, it invades snails and eventually invades a particular type of snail. When the yellow grubs leaves the snail, it invades the fish and burrows into the muscle of the infected fish. These cyst encased grubs are one of the most commonly found parasite in fish fillets.[/font]
[font "Arial"]The white grub is found in the internal organs of sunfish. Since it invades primarily the liver and heart, it is a minor problem for anglers. The grub will be visible as numerous white "specks" in the liver of the fish when they are processed. [/font]
[font "Arial"]The black grub is widely recognized as black spots on fish. The adult grub lives in the intestine of kingfishers. The eggs of the black grub are deposited into the water in the bird’s feces. Similar to the yellow grub, the black grub invades any variety of snail that inhibits the water. When mature, the black grub leaves the snail and attaches itself to the nearest fish. The black grub is actually white and not black. The black spots are the result of pigment from the fish that surrounds the encysted grub. The black grub is can be found in the fins, under the scales or in the flesh of the fish. [/font]
[font "Arial"]To summarize, grubs have a complex life cycle involving birds, snails and fish. Their life cycle makes it practically impossible to eliminate them from natural waters such as farm ponds. It is not uncommon to find a few grubs on all wild fish. These grubs can not infect humans, but you should clean and cook the fish properly.[/font]
[signature]
Yellow grubs at Pelican Lake [Image: clear.gif] [Image: yellow_grubs.jpg]
Filet of a bluegill from Pelican Lake showing "grubs" in its flesh.
[Image: clear.gif]
Anglers sometimes call to inquire about the appearance of yellowish cysts they notice in the muscle of fish caught at Pelican Lake and a few other waters in Utah. These cysts are the intermediate stage of a trematode parasite called Clinostomum complanatum, more commonly known as "yellow grub." Aquatic snails act as the first host of the parasite. Many species of fish or amphibians can serve as the secondary host. Bluegill and largemouth bass at Pelican Lake are the species commonly observed with the problem. Aquatic birds such as herons, bitterns and gulls act at the final host for the adult parasite.
The parasite can cause localized tissue damage to the muscle or internal organs of the fish, but are not life threatening if present in low to moderate numbers. The parasite is often noted more in the spring to early summer, after which their numbers decline.
Yellow grubs can be treated in hatchery fish, but fortunately, none of UtahÕs State hatcheries have this parasite. There is no effective way to remove yellow grub from wild fish in a lake or stream.
Although infected fish may not appear appetizing, there is no reason not to keep an infected fish for human consumption. With careful trimming of affected areas and normal cooking procedures, the fish can provide a safe and delicious meal.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.
It still looks pretty gross to eat even if it is safe though.
[signature]
All this knowledge and here I thought you were just another pretty face. You still owe me a phone call to let me know if you are going to head over there later in the month.[:p]
[signature]