Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tactics for big Rainbows on the Ice??
Just curious what you'll think is the best bait/lure and on average the best depth to fish for big bows while ice fishing??? I have found that shades of pink/white and sometimes green work best in shallow water. Any other color suggestions and what do you guys think about jigs vs. ice flies. Also do you put a flasher above?
[signature]
Piggy bows live in shallow water[Wink]
[signature]
at the berry I've done better for bows in shallow water, 12 feet to 6. with the jig about 1in. or less off the bottom.
later chuck
[signature]
The bigger the ball of powerbait, the bigger the fish. That's what I always say...
[signature]
What to use for bows depends on the waters you fish. I mainly fish for bows at Otter Creek and i use small white tube jigs tipped with waxies through the ice. Others will chime in with what works for them at other waters.
[signature]
when i want bows i go white mariboo tipped with waxie and 1 salmon egg. shallow close to banks in 4 to 9 ft. by weed lines.dont pass over the boat ramps. they hold bows durring early to mid ice.[Wink]
[signature]
I have caught them on jigs tipped with minnows, wax worms, PowerBait, meal worms and crawlers. My experience has been that crawlers work the best followed by wax worms. Like others have said, most have been caught in the shallower water.
[signature]
I know of a few spots at Srawberry that i catch more bows than i do cutts it is about 4-12 feet deep where we fish so i beleave depth and location has the most to do with it and not bait because i will use the same thing further out and catch mostly cutts as far as catching the bigger ones verses the smaller ones use bigger baits so the little ones cant get there mouth around it LOL just my 2 cents
[signature]
1 inch Pink curly tail grubs tipped with mealies or wax woms do the trick. White is also a fallback color I use but I prefer to go with curly tails over tube jigs.
[signature]
I haven't tried curly tails much....is there a certain shade of pink that is better??
[signature]
Without a doubt, bigger bows are shallower. I target 4-6 feet of water when targeting big bows through the ice.

Brady
[signature]
I've had success with Mr. Twister White/ Fire Tail grub and Lindy Moonlight/Pink grubs. Both are available at Cabela's If the grubs are not working a pink Ice Cutr is always a safe bet.
[signature]
Due to our diverse audience you should probably leave that second quote off. Thank you!
[signature]
while I'm fishing a different kind of lake, I find that the bigger bows are actually deeper. smaller bows from just under the ice down to about 10ft. the bigger ones up to about 6 pounds, i get 15-20 or so feet down. i also only use tipups for them
[signature]