Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba 1-7-09
I got out of my car at 8:30am. I was back in at 10:30am and headed home with a limit of nice perch. I was using a perch colored crippled herring (spoon) tipped with night crawler. I also caught a few on a glow chartreuse jig head tipped with crawler. A good 4-5" of ice and I was fishing in 45' of water. Had one fish break me off, I assume it was a northern. The perch were hitting aggressively. No need for a spring bobber.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you were fishing in 45 feet of water I am assuming you fished near the dam. What were the ice conditions?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
4-5" of good solid ice. About an inch of snow on top, no slush at all. I don't know how it could be any better. They plowed the parking area and the ramp so you can park right next to the ice. The road in is snow packed, but the ramp and parking lot are dry.
[signature]
Right on! If I take my snowmobile & gear sled do you think I'd be safe?
[signature]
I wouldnt take your snowmobile on that. I would wait for at least 7 inches.
[signature]
I don't have any experience with snowmobiles and ice. It's really easy walking though.
[signature]
nice report, thanks for the ice condition. later
chuck
[signature]
Maybee a silly question but I will ask any way...when you say the ramp and parking lot is plowed and the road snowpacked, are you talking about painted rocks or the main ramp by the dam? I thought that painted rocks was the only winter access?
[signature]
Oasis is open during the winter too. The road in from I-15 is plowed,(north or south) but stays snowpacked quite a bit. It was 40 plus degrees today though, so maybe some melted this afternoon. Still easy access.
[signature]
Thanks for the update![Smile]
[signature]
Does this mean that the gloom and doom we have been hearing about Yuba is put to rest?
[signature]
SOMEONE OUGHT TO TRY THE 2 HOLES THEN THE CHAINSAW TRICK AND SEE IF IT WORKS
[signature]
[quote davefishman]Does this mean that the gloom and doom we have been hearing about Yuba is put to rest?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]There is no "doom and gloom"...just comparisons to what it has been in the past and observations about what we are seeing now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still plenty of fish in the lake, but not as many as there have been at other times. And, we have no way of knowing how they will survive the winter onslaught or whether they will get in a good spawn in the spring. Yuba can be feast or famine and we as anglers really have very little to do with it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is good to see fish coming from both the Painted Rocks and the dam areas. That suggests that they are dispersed throughout the lake and that there is a decent population.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Historically, the most and largest perch DID come from the deeper water nearer to the dam. As with most perch lakes, the baby perch follow their food (zooplankton) into the deeper waters in the winter and the predators follow the baby perch. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We cannot predict the future but HISTORY IS NEVER WRONG (Quote: TubeDude)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tom,

James and I were down there last week, the ice at Painted rocks was a good 8+ inches. I wouldn't be afraid of taking the snowmobile at all.
[signature]