Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A day at Pineview
The plan was to be on Pineview by 9am, but as usual plans never work out this first time for me. I got all my gear loaded up in the truck and on the road at 8:45am, but I still had to get gas and bait.
The first gas station I stopped at I filled up with gas and went in to get maggots, meal worms, or wax worms, I didn't care which. But alas the gal behind the counter looked at me like I had two heads when I asked, "Do you have maggots?" WOW, she really thought I was trying to be a jerk and thought I was saying something about her. Can you say "DENSE". Anyway it took a little explaining, then I was able to find out that they didn't carry any bait. I ended up having to go to Sportsman's Warehouse.
I didn't know that they didn't open until 10am. Anyway, I got the bait and headed out to Pineview. I got to cemetery point about 10:30am, can you believe that? An hour and a half past when I wanted to have lines in the water.
Well, I got parked and got the snowmobile off the tialer and all my gear in the ice house hooked up and shoot out to the narrows. I could find a place to park at the narrows that’s why I went to cemetery point.
I got set up after talking to LH2 and THPARKIE for a few minuets. I really wasn’t fishing right away so much as I threw a line in the water and then played with my gear. I haven’t gone through my ice gear since last season. So I just got things organized while I drowned a maggot and watched the flasher and aqua view. The aqua view didn’t do much because at 50’ or so it is just too dark.
After a little while Kent came over to say hi. But when he left the fish came in droves! I saw a huge school of some kind of fish suspended about 25’ off the bottom. I move the camera up to that depth and had enough light to see TONS of crappie. I couldn’t believe it. I was watching them on the camera and the flasher, but I could get them to bite on ANYTHING! It was cool to see them on the camera but SO frustrating at the same time.
About an hour passed and the fish moved on. I could mark anything on the flasher. I packed up and sped off around the point where I spoke to another guy who had a few perch on the ice. He invited me to drill a hole and chit-chat with him for a while, which I quickly did. Of course as soon I was done drilling he had another perch on. We sat and talked and HE caught some more perch. I didn’t catch a darn thing. He even gave me a jig and a perch eye, the same thing he was using, same size, same color, it was the SAME! But could I catch a fish… NOOOOO. I got skunked.
So 2pm hit and I packed it in. I got the ice house on the trailer and thought I would go for a zippy ride on the snowmobile before I left. So I got to about the middle of the lake and sure enough, my drive belt broke. Can you believe this luck? I did have another belt with the snowmobile to I got that fixed and flew around the lake for a little bit. At about 2:30 or so I packed it all in and headed for home.
So now that I have posted a book about my 1st ice fishing experience in Utah, let me recap. Got there late, didn’t catch any fish, broke my snowmobile, and to top it all off… When I got home my wife gave me crap about not having fish for dinner. “You could have stayed home and did some house work if you weren’t going to get fish for dinner”, she said.
It was a good day! Even with all the “downers” I got to go out side on a BEAUTIFUL day, the good Lord kept me safe on the ice, and I got to meet some of you guys face to face. I wouldn’t have traded a second of it for anything in the world.
[signature]
Glad to meet you(even though it wasn't properly). Sounds like an exciting trip for ya.[cool]
[signature]
Nice to meet you today... i live and fish further south, so if you ever head this way give me a shout...
[signature]
It was nice to meet you.
Sorry you had bad luck. Those crappie are very light biters, and Kent and I both had a hard time with them as well today. LH2 was still on them though,
[signature]