Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BURBOT BUST!!!!!!!!!
If there are so many burbot in flaming george, why is it so hard to catch em [frown]. Just got back from the bash and only caught one little 12 inch burbot and one huge crodad. It seemed like everybody was having problems on catching the dang things...WEIRD.
[signature]
Full Moon!!!!
[signature]
It is amazing that we can have weekends where our catch rate is 30-80 per visit, but then one night, the lights shut off. I am going to send a PM to Ryno and see if there are any biological reasons why burbot do not bite during the full moon. That is the only factor that was different than other trips I have taken to the Gorge.

We had 6 people in our tent, a total of 18 poles, no burbot. Unbelieveable.

How about a redo?
[signature]
Yeah im down for a redo if that is the case. Its just weird cuz the night before the bash there was a report of 68 bein caught during the full moon. So i don't know its pretty crazy. [crazy]
[signature]
We caught 34, lost 17 at the hole, and missed about 60 hits!
[signature]
Can you point out the approximate location you were at? Cause we sucked hardcore at cutting down the population.
[signature]
Good meeting you at the Bash. I'm with Ratstar where were you exactly. Cause you were not with the rest of us.
[signature]
Couldn't be because there were 200 people tromping around the ice, could it? With that much noise, every fish in the southeastern Wyoming made a run for it!

Lunkerhunter found the honeyhole alright. Find the blonde haired guy and you'll find the fish!
[signature]
we were roughly about 300 yards down from the main group. I went and talked to the other groups while i was there and it was the same story for them as well.
[signature]
we were about 300 yards or so down from the main pack of people but it sounded like everybody else was strugglin too.
[signature]
[quote RDRRM8E]Couldn't be because there were 200 people tromping around the ice, could it? With that much noise, every fish in the southeastern Wyoming made a run for it!

Lunkerhunter found the honeyhole alright. Find the blonde haired guy and you'll find the fish![/quote]

That would also be my assessment of the situation. I predicted (not on this forum but in PMs) that would be the case before the event was held. Fishing, for the most part, in water less than 20 feet deep, with lots of tromping, drilling, talking and... on the ice is not a good combination for catching lots of fish. For those who made it out (I changed my plans after reading the initial report that the ice was not safe) the big plus is the knowledge that was received. I will take an education on how and where to catch fish over catching fish any day. With the knowledge gained one can go back several times, under more ideal situations, and catch the fish.

Also, finding Brody is also a great idea. That guy knows how to catch them![Smile]
[signature]
I think the noise was the biggest problem. We were there Friday night where most of the group fished and caught some and missed a bunch more. Next time we should spread out more.
[signature]
to brite bottom line the ling are there just a full moon and tones of presure shut fish down the night before we had a little over cast but still got to bucket fulls biggest thing is people got out and tried iant never caught a fish on my couch.
[signature]
Ill agree with Ash although the fishing was slow for alot of us it was a great time. We all learned alot and were educated from very knowledgable people on the techniques and the problems that fish are causing. I hope that most people here will continue to fish for the bots and not let a slow day of fishing discourage them. Lets keep on em. Thanks again to everyone who organzied the event and participated in the differnt workshops that were given I enjoyed them and it will help us do our part yo keep these bots in check.
[signature]
[quote fishley] iant never caught a fish on my couch.[/quote]

I have [sly]

[inline Rpala1.jpg]

[inline Rpala2.jpg]

[inline Rpal3.jpg]

[angelic]
[signature]
Ok you got me .
[signature]
I didnt catch any Burbot either, didnt even see one on my electronics. I think that there was too much noise.
If it wasn't for the lakers I caught in the afternoon the trip would have been a bust for me.
Someone mentioned unsafe ice? That ice was great, transparent and thick.
[signature]
I think anglers on the Gorge could be having localized impacts on burbot abundance. That's awesome too, unless you show-up after someone else's successful nights. Some of you may remember from last year, Lost Dog was hot at first ice and the big catches decreased throughout the season. Lost Dog has been iced over for almost a month now, and being there hasn't been much for ice further downlake it's been hit hard. We were there Friday night, and there was a ton of people coming and going. I think the full moon, noise, etc. could all impact the bite, but you've also got to consider how many fish are being harvested. There's been several big reports on BFT this past month, let alone all the people that don't report on this site.

A lot of people got on the ice at Lost Dog this weekend and hopefully learned something that will help them in the future. Burbot are lakewide now, so don't hesitate to hit areas other than Lost Dog and do some damage to some un-harassed burbot! Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
So, where else (besides Lost Dog) would be a good place to go and help reduce the burbot population? I'm thinking of going again sometime, but I don't necessarily want to go where the catching is so poor.
[signature]
I dont think its that the catching is poor in Lost Dog area. Its just when there is 100+ people on the ice in one area it is. Try hitting a little farther up the Blacks Fork arm from what I've been gathering pretty much anywhere in there you can slay the burbot. Or try giving Lost Dog another chance when there isnt so much pressure and people. I'm betting you'll do alot better now that you know how to catch them.
[signature]