Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly fishing the Jordan River
Does anybody on here fly fish the Jordan river? If so, what do you target and what time of the year. any winter opportunities?
[signature]
I do because it is within walking distance. I have caught White Bass, Crappy there is some rainbow in there and my favorite...CARP!

Spring and Fall are my favorite, but anytime is actually not bad. I have caught them in the heat of summer and amoung the snow.

Best thing is, it is never crowded LOL
[signature]
i always wondered if it was worth flyfishing so what do u use and where about is a good area
[signature]
I can really pin point any one area, but I know there is fish all over in there.
I start of with basic flies like Haresears, Pheasant Tails, Prince...and of course SOFT HACKLES. Woolly buggers too.
[signature]
I am thinking about checking it out sometime next week. I know my way around salt lake well but I have never paid attention to any access points for the Jordan. If you have any tips on where I should start that would be great. I love fishing streamers. Have you ever had any winter luck on some big nasty streamers
[signature]
No, no streamers, but I seldom use them at all. I am sure they will work great if the fish are hungry.
I am not sure how your luck will be right now so don't get discouraged...it will get better.
I will PM you a couple of spots I hit.
[signature]
hey could u let me know as well
[signature]
All i can say is get out there and put in some work. Over the last few years I've really grown to love the jordan river. I live near 90th south, so I fish it a lot. Normally I fish bait, but the last few years I've been fly fishing it. I have caught rainbows close to twenty inches below the 90th south bridge, carp, bullheads, channels, and lots of suckers. Sucker fishing can be quite good in the spring right above the 106th south bridge, if you don't mind catching ugly fish. They fight. I've heard rumors of big brown trout being caught on big streamers, although I've never caught any. The further south you go, the more species you are likely to catch. I've pulled perch, crappie, walleye, channels, bullheads, largemouth, bluegill, green sunfish, white bass, suckers, and carp out of the jordan, all on flies. I've done best with brown or black buggers. Just depends on the time of year, as I've caught them on just about everything. Look for places that are dammed, or blocked, then fish them in the spring. The spawning fish get stuck there, and are surprisingly easy to catch. Get out there!
[signature]
ABSOLUTELY!
[signature]