Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishin the Green in the winter?
Hey, I was thinkin of taking a trip up to the Green River for a little FF. I take plenty of trips up there during the spring and summer but im wondering how the fishing will be this time of year? Any idea? I will be fishin in the little hole area..Thanks!
[signature]
I would think with the on off winter we have been having, the fishing could be fantastic! But if a front moves in it could push them way down.

The past couple of days we have had makes me ache to get up there!
[signature]
Ya, this weather has got me itching to get out and get a good session in with the fly rod! [cool] I have looked at a couple different websites and it sounds like it will be pretty good fishing. I will let you know how it goes...
[signature]
Please do. We are having a get together around the first week of April if we can all get it together with 4 drift boats....should be a blast!
[signature]
This might be a little late, but I used to fish it a lot in the winter when I was "stuck" there with no other place to go. And, it fished quite well when the wind wasn't blowing. Great midge hatches nearly every day, especially afternoon/evenings. (again, when they're not getting blown off the water). Nymphing is good in the Green 365 days a year. There's just so many trout that you can't miss. Fish smaller stuff, #16s and 18's. And no, you never need a 22 or any of that crap![Wink] If they want to eat, they will eat, and might as well get something for their effort. Scuds, midges, little worms, and little mayfly nymphs.

Fish are not at all selective in the winter due to lack of pressure, and you'll often have the place all to yourself, especially on weekdays. BWO's often start in March.
[signature]
A good friend of mine fished there in January a few years ago and was getting no where. But then he remembered my Christmas Present to him.
It was a Micro box filled with about 20 different #30's and #32's. He had it in his upper vest pocket. He said it saved the trip.
[signature]
I agree. For ever fish you catch on #16-18 flies you can catch 2 or 3 more on smaller #20-24 flies. You should be able to find rising rish anywhere the sun hits from 11 - 3. Little hole is one of the better areas because it gets a good deal of direct sunlight compared to the rest of the river. I like Harrops CDC hanging midge, the many versions of a trailing shuck midge, clusters, and morgans midge (I tie mine with white CDC instead of grey so it is easier to see). If the fish aren't up try fishing any tungsten midge dropper 3-4 feet off of a cicada pattern. You would be amazed how many fish eat the cicada in the middle of winter.
[signature]
I just moved to Utah in order to get more time on the Green!

I haven't ever been up there on a "winter" day, but have been up on snowy days in the spring and fall.

I am a big fan of the terrestrials and cicada (near the bank). I always seem to find a few big browns waiting to see a big bug (even after it seems that all of the big bugs would be gone for the year).

I've been itching to get up there soon!
[signature]
[indent]The wife and I snuck up here and fished on monday. Got to the water at like 9 and fished from the boat ramp just below the damn and up to the steel cable. I caught 1 tiny rainbow on a beadhead. Wife caught none.

About 12 we ran down to little hole and fished upstream from the boat ramp. At 1 there was a PROLIFIC midge hatch just in the shade maybe a quarter mile up. Literaly hundreds and hundreds of fish rising for about an hour. I in hindsight should have brought some midge patterns....ooops. Was trying a scud at this point with no luck. Wife caught 2 20" Browns on a lucky craft pointer. After the hatch we continued upstream to the 1mile marker into little hole and picked up a few fish here and there. Weather was AWESOME in the sun and cold in the shade. I ended with 6 fish biggest being like 19". Wife ended with more fish and bigger fish on her pointer and a mid size rainbow rapala. It was fun but slow imo.
[/indent]
[signature]
day in, day out, soft hackles, small zebras, bwo emergers, brassies, discos, hares ears, pheasant tails... doesn't really matter. Drift is more important than fly selection. If you don't catch fish on the green, you've done something wrong. Way too many fish...
[signature]