Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Ririe)Kokanee Tocos
Just finished some kokanee tocos for dinner that were freshly taken for Ririe [cool] 4 to 6 inches of ice, lots of crack'n and pop'n go'n on...along with a lot of sunshine. Action was very slow...we only had a small school swing by. Landed 6 between the 3 of us. All were taken 15 or less feet of water using small ice jigs with mealies.
[signature]
Its good to know that the fishing is on at Ririe.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks what I'm say'n...by the way...the ice is very slick with there being any snow on it. One might what to throw some cleats on those boots.
[signature]
It's so good to know that Ririe finally has ice. I wish I could have gone up today but maybe next week end. Now that the ice is on I have other obigations to tend to, but I'll be up there soon. Got to have a Koke dinner\, best eatin fish around. Keep us posted about the fishing up there so I can stay psyched until I can go up myself. Anybody have any theories about how to decide where to fish? I would like to know how to be in the right place when a school goes by. Is there a way to know or is it just luck.
[signature]
Is Ririe better in the morning or afternoon?
I am thinking about a Roberts and Ririe monday. Just don't know where to go first.
[signature]
Best I've done has been to find an area they have liked in the past then hope for the best. On the other hand last week I spoke with someone that had been there most the day then all of a sudden a school came by and caught a limit in 10 minutes.
[signature]
I fish for other species while I am waiting for Kokes. I target the perch and trout but put three rods suspended at various depths until the kokes come through. Then I concentrate on them until they are gone. Repeat the cycle. That way the fishing keeps me busy instead of just waiting around all day.

Windriver
[signature]
Is that 15 feet deep from ice to bottom? or 15 feet from the ice to the fish?
[signature]
15' down from the ice. You will be in 20-40' of water a majority of the time and it seems the kokes will run from 8-15' down from the ice. If you have a flasher you will be money on Ririe. We have done very well using just one rod each. We fish the bottom for perch until we mark kokes. Then we reel up to the bottom of the school and take the largest kokes of the school this way. A flasher is worth every penny and especially so at Ririe for this reason. You can see exactly what depth the kokes are that day.
[signature]
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, we don't have a flasher. however, we may be investing in one soon if they are so helpful.

we've never been on Ririe before and we are really hoping to get up there in the next week or so.
[signature]
Without a flasher I would use as many rods as possible at different depths to find the kokes. They will hit almost any pink jig it is just a matter of finding the depth when they come through. Tipping you jig with mealworm helps. I would set up a jig ten feet under the ice fifteen feet under the ice and twenty feet under the ice and then use your other two rods to fish the bottom as was suggested.

Kokes can be cruel when they come through and hit your neighbors rods like crazy and nothing fifteen feet away in seemingly open water. It fun when they come your way but can be crazy that is why I occupy my time with other species.

Windriver
[signature]
I was up at Ririe today and saw that cruelty in action. Most people weren't catching a thing. Just before 4pm I saw a lot of action from one group. They then started packing it up. I wandered over to see if they minded me poaching their holes since they were leaving. They gave me their blessing and left. I then proceeded to do what I had done for 3 hours, get nothing. There was another guy about 40 feet away, he had yet to get a single hit and he had been there all day. Truly irritating.

BTW, the ice is 4-6 inches except right around the edges and some pretty obvious spots opposite shore from the parking lot which is still a little open water. Also around the island out from the parking has some open water. Overall it seems to be getting a little thicker though for the most part.
[signature]
[cool] Thanks for the info Steve I may give it a try while your at work and I'm not! lol
[signature]
[quote Pigwithfins][cool] Thanks for the info Steve I may give it a try while your at work and I'm not! lol[/quote] Anytime buddy...anytime[unimpressed]
[signature]
that sounds very frustrating but like I tell my son, if it was as simple as putting your line in the water we would just call it catching and not fishing!

how are the roads into Ririe? I have a two wheel drive pickup (I know I need another, just have to finish school). I have the back loaded with sand and I have good tires but I hate to make a drive and then not be able to get to the water.

thanks again for all the advice
[signature]
The road to the Juniper boat launch at Ririe is kept plowed. However if there is much snow and a high wind you can run the risk of being drifted in between the highway and the reservoir. At least that's what happened to my buddy's last year during one of our stormier weeks.
[signature]