Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba, soft ice,bad edges,light bites
So, my buddy wanted to go to Yuba yesterday. He went the day before with his son and nephew. He got skunked and the three of them caught a grand total of one fish all day.
Obviously we needed to get away from the dam area so some kind of transport was called for. I wanted to take snowmobiles because they are fast, and mine was already on the trailer. Nope. He wanted to take my Polaris Ranger because it has a windshield and it's a comfy ride.Wimp!
I loaded the Ranger and we headed down. After everything was ready to head out onto the ice, I got looking around and the edges didn't look so good. Ranger is too heavy and I kept breaking the ice out to about a foot of water and could not get up on the ice. Finally got on the ice and headed out. Destination was the narrows, but by the time we got to Walleye point and saw a big crack with water coming up through it, I got a little nervous. Visions of a 14,000.00 machine falling through the ice do that to me. O.K., so now I'm the wimp.
We started drilling holes and looking for fish. My vex wasn't showing anything until we got out to where the ice has buckled and gets all bumpy.Perch and carp were moving through in schools. We tried half a dozen different lures and caught a few fish on everything we tried.
The interesting thing was how light the bite was, and how the biggest Perch were moving. I set up my Vexilar and an aqua view camera. I would watch for fish on the finder, and then pick up the monitor and watch them.I ended up catching four Perch that never even made the end of my rod move. I would see the fish grab my lure, then look at the end of my rod. Nothing. So, I set the hook anyway and brought them up. Sometime I would be sitting there looking into the monitor and a giant, fat, jumbo Perch would come meandering along. Belly to bottom, stiring up silt and not even showing up on the fish finder. The smaller Perch usually came in about six inches off bottom, but all of the jumbo fatties were swimming belly to bottom, and would stop and stare at my jig.I would jiggle it and stop. They would either swim away or ease up to it and just hold it in their mouth for a second, then back off and stare some more. We ended up with our 20 fish, but I was nervous all day as the ice was melting and slush was getting worse on top of the ice. I wasn;t sure how far my Ranger would have to swim to get to shore. When we got back to the ramp, I made my buddy get out and I made a mad dash toward the shore about 100' West of the ramp. Didn't break through very bad at all, but, I ain't taking the Ranger to Yuba again unless we get a serious cold spell. And as I'm writing this, it's raining in Spanish Fork. Yuba could real interesting if it's raining down there.
By the way, we tried Perch meat and caught a few fish, but the very best bait was eyeballs. They hit the eyeblls faster and took the hooks deeper than the perch meat.

WB
[signature]
wow sounds like yuba is getting tough to fish!

there is going to be a big in flow of water comeing into a lot of low valley lakes. a lot of snow is melting and from what i have seen the water levels will be riseing pushing the ice up and out makeing it softer..

all fishermen should be very carful going on the ice in the valleys for the next while, inless we get a good cold snap the egdes of the ice will be soft!!
[signature]
I drove past Yuba this morning about 7am on my way home from work. I usually stop and fish, but it was raining pretty good. Not good news for the ice. Plus, like Fuzzy said, it will be filling up with all the snow melting.
[signature]
Was it the pressure ridge in the narrows that was "leakin"? No other issues on the ice, just the edges and the crack?

If you see a block of ice that looks like my avatar bobbing in open water come monday morning will you fish me out [Wink]

Thanks for the report, looks like it will be an interesting weekend at Yuba...
[signature]
We never made it to the narrows. The crack that the water was coming up through wasn't even noticeable until you got right to it.
If you are going to Yuba this weekend, take a ten foot 2 by 12, or you will be wading.
[signature]
Well that sounds like that is that. Haven't gotten a ice report on OCbut sure it's the same as Yuba. Maybe Huntington?
thanks for the reports.
[signature]
hey smokerdog.. you going tomorrow? i'm thinking of hitting E-lake and see i can put the hurt to them cutt's up there and maybe a fat bow or tiger.. if your in the area stop by and say HI! lol . i have wanted to video the cutt's with my Aqua-vu on the ice there for a long time.. maybe this time i'll be able to get some good footage! [cool]..
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, Bob. That sucks about the soft ice though. As usual, a great and informative post.
[signature]