Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska/Prince of Wales Island questions
Hi all. While we watch all of the ice melt[:/], I have a question I would like to present. This summer, I have the opportunity to travel up to Prince of Wales Island in Alaska to participate in some continuing education I need for my employment. (and fish[Smile]!) The information on the newsletter sounds great, but I was wondering if anyone here has been up there and has good or negative feedback on their trip(s). Is there anything special I should take up there when I go? The program is from July 1-7. I have only been to Alaska once and that was the Kenai peninsula/Homer 10 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
[#6000bf]I am not much help, but I have had friends that have been [/#6000bf][#6000bf]up there bear hunting and salmon fishing. They said its [/#6000bf][#6000bf]an amazing place and really enjoyed.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]I am considering a bear/salmon combo trip this year.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]I would take every adavantage of the opportunity.[/#6000bf]
[signature]
I guided there for a lodge on the northern end of the island in the late 80's. Do it!

The small creeks all have salmon and steelhead runs, though the steelhead are mostly a spring and fall thing. Halibut and salmon fishing on the inside passage is great if you're into that. You can fish the creeks by yourself. The place is heavily vegetated and bear infested, so make lots of noise and watch your back (and every other side!). Logging roads provide access to the creeks, though there are also some paved roads down around Craig and Klawock.

My "assignment' while working there was to explore and guide on nearly every little freshwater drainage of the island, which I did. This was from March-May, and again during the Silver run in late summer. I ran a halibut/trolling boat for most of the summer when the creeks only had pinks. The first week of July is sort of an "in between" time for the salmon runs in the creeks, so they may not be all that great. The ocean always has something going on, and you should be able to find someone to get you into some Kings at that time. Bottom fish and halibut are always available.

Contact the Forest Service up there for a map, use google earth, and also google some lodges/charter boats in the area you will be staying in. (presumably Craig/Klawock since that's the only real civilization on the island and where the ferry terminal is.)

Definitely plan SOME KIND of fishing while you're there. Its nothing like the zoo on the Kenai. This place is about as wild as you can get without getting on a float plane. (though it does have roads, cars, and a ferry service to the mainland). The Kenai River is more crowded than Los Angeles during the king run.

Take GOOD rain gear (they get 100 inches a year!), bug dope (100 percent deet. Its wet, vegetated, and a mosquito's paradise), and waders for the creeks. Polarized sunglasses are a must for the creeks because they're small, and you are usually sight casting. Yellow lenses are handy for all the cloudy days. If you can swing it, find a local or a guide to take you fishing. Runs change from year to year, and also vary based on rainfall. Local knowledge is key for a visiting angler.

And remember, there's a bear within a couple of hundred feet of you on nearly every creek, but it may not know you're there. Let them know you're there. You can't see most until you're nearly eye-to-eye due to the heavy forest and vegetation. I never had a problem, and never carried a gun. But I did respect their turf and talked to them a lot. "Hey bear! Comin' through bear! Go ahead bear! I'll fish the next pool bear!" Always yield.

I've never been closer to more anywhere in Alaska, and I guided in the Bristol Bay region for many years as well, which is known for lots of bears. Just don't surprise them, and you'll be fine.

Its a beautiful place, despite all the logging scars. I've always wanted to go back, but haven't made the time.
[signature]
I'd also tell you POW island is much different than Kenai- No crowds and every no name stream is chocked full of eager Salmon during the runs. Sort of what you probable thought Alaska would be like before you fished the Kenai Penisula and experienced the combat fishing from hell. The streams I fished where all very easy to wade. The bears are all black bears if that makes you feel any better- no grizzlies on the island. I went up twice late summer and early fall and I am planning another trip early August this year. The roads have improved quite a bit. They where finishing up paving the road to Coffman Cove while I was there and working to improve many of the gravel roads. I had 4 wd drive vehicles both trips but didn't need it. I certainly have been on much worse roads on many of my fishing trips in Utah and Wyoming. I used a 9ft 8wt rod for all of my salmon fishing on the island. Mostly used egg-sucking leech patterns. Honestly I was hooking into a couple dozen fish per hour (silver, pink and an occasional chum) and landing almost half of them. I didn't use a guide just explored on my own. Hopefully the Sockeye will be running while your up there.Maybe you want to look into staying after the meeting to increase your odds on that. I don't think there are any King salmon runs, just the occasional one that runs up the wrong stream. Kings are caught in the salt water around the island. The main ferry from Ketchikan runs daily to Hollis not Craig/Klawock now.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the input! I will sign up tomorrow. Can't wait.[Smile] Now I probably will be useless at work for the next 5 months dreaming of this.

Tarponjim, did you by chance work for the Lands End lodge? They will be the host for the seminar, and they are on the Northern tip of POW island.
[signature]
The lodge I worked for was called Whales Resort, near a little wide spot in the road that was called Whale Pass. At that time, Wale Pass was two buildings with a llittle store and some gas, operated by one family. I was at the resort during their first years of operation as construction was just finished. They needed someone to "explore and develop" their freshwater fishing program, and I was the lucky person to do that during the runs. One of the best gigs I ever had.

Everything Riverdog said sounds spot-on to me, and more up to date than my information. Sounds like they've paved paradise, but at least you won't have to worry about cutting tires on the logging roads should you decide to explore. He's right about the kings too, they don't go up the rivers on the island, and are caught in the salt.

I did fish to the end of the road on the northern part of the island, and those creeks have fish runs as well. I can't remember the names after all this time, but I'll try and find a map or chart on-line and see what I can remember. As Riverdog said, nearly all of them get their fish runs. There were even a couple that had sea-run dolly varden too.
[signature]
The road past the turn off for Coffman Cove that travels down to Whale Pass wasn't paved yet. Only about 30 miles of moderately rough road to keep civilization out. Sounds like Whale Pass has really grown- it's now a wide spot in the road with a little store and gas and about 8 buildings. And a bunch of pet exotic rabbits running around on the loose. Not sure why they haven't all been eaten by all the bald eagles around- maybe the fish taste better[Wink]. I did actual see one king salmon in dog salmon creek but you have to realize I walked a mile of that creek and I probable saw a hundred thousand dead and dying salmon. A little late to fish it. If you waded across the 30 yard wide creek dozens of fish couldn't help but run into you. Doggonefishing if there are any job openings at your work let me know- I'd love to get paid to fish/ I mean take a coarse there.
[signature]
"Doggonefishing if there are any job openings at your work let me know- I'd love to get paid to fish/ I mean take a coarse there."

LMAO[sly] The business is paying for some of this, I have to pay the rest. The problem is I am supposed to go learn the newest advances in opthalmology, but I'm afraid I will be having my "eyes" on the fishing instead and won't get as much out of the instruction as I should.
[signature]
I went on a 3 day fishing trip last August and it was awesome! We stayed on Ketchikan which is a few islands to the north I believe but our boat captain would always drive past Prince of Wales (about 30 min. trip) and a little to the west where we caught our limits every day. It was the Silver Salmon run (also called Coho) but we also caught pink salmon which we used for halibut bait, Sockeye and even a few king salmon which we immediately released because they are a protected species. I recommend the halibut fishing also. We didn't catch any monsters but reeling in 300' of line with a 30 lb. halibut on the other end is quite an experience (do wrist exercises before you go!)
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]What are the access conditions like in this area, do you hike in a long ways or drive up. It would be nice to drive up with a pickup and camp for a few days and fish the area? Thanks.[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Drive to Ketchikan, and ferry vehicle to the island (Hollis). From there travel on logging roads (some paved, some "improved", to the creeks on the island. From there, you walk through the heaviest forest and brush imaginable, with bears everywhere and mosquitos pretty abundant. Very dense. Hikes aren't that long, but a mile there isn't like a mile someplace normal or in the desert. You'll bust your butt to go a mile. Easiest walking is right down the middle of the creeks, but most are very slippery. And did I mention bear infested?

Google Earth it and you'll see what I mean. Heavy timber country, and a climate that gets over 100 inches of rain a year. Temperate rain forest.
[signature]
Jim, you forget Ketchikan is on Revillagigedo Island which is a 6 hour ferry ride from Prince Rupert, BC or a day plus ferry ride from Bellingham, Washington. For shorter trips much easier to take a 5 hour flight (if you can get the 1 hour layover in Seattle) to Ketchikan and then take the 3 hour ferry to Hollis. Probable will need to spend the night in Ketchikan unless they still have twice daily ferry on Fridays in Summer. Roads don't reach the whole 140 mile long island but there's good access to tons of streams. All the water from the rainforest has to drain somewhere. Summers are less rainy but expect some rain and drizzle. If you don't like bears or mosquitoes go in September when the bear hunt starts, mosquitoes are down and the aggressive silvers are running. I never walked more than 50 yards in that forest without at least seeing signs of bears. I would seriously bet they're are more bears than people living on that island.
[signature]
Yeah, you are correct. When I went each time, I drove to Prince Rupert, and then ferried to Ketchikan, and then on to P.O.W. That way, I could steelhead fish in BC on my way home![cool] Hit the Kispiox, Bulkley, and some of those other tributaries. Made for a nice ride from Colorado to Prince Rupert, and I had never seen or fished any of that country, so that was another benefit of the job, and the company paid for my expenses! Like I said, one of the best gigs I ever had.

That Skeena River area of BC is the prettiest country I've ever laid eyes on. Makes the US Rockies look like moon scape. For a short trip, flying would be the way to go.
[signature]
I think it's about 1800 miles from SLC to Prince Rupert if I recall correctly from looking it up before. I actually haven't driven it but was thinking of doing it this summer or next. Now after you describe it 1800 miles doesn't sound so long of a drive anymore.
[signature]