Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reels
I need a good reliable reel to flyline live bait on 15-20# line and toss iron on the West Coast for yellowtail and small tuna. I also plan to use the same reel on my 8 1/2' jigstick in Florida for tarpon, dolphin, tripletail and cobia. I've been considering either Penn's new 525Mag or the even newer 975CS. Requesting recommendations, pros and cons etc.<br><br>
Thor & Jay - Thank you for your input. The Trinidad is a heck of a reel (with a heck of a price tag). I like good quality gear, I just don't like taking out a mortgage for one. I don't have any experience with the Sealines but I am sure they are good outfits. I like Penns because I have never had one fail. I have witnessed drag slippage by anglers with both Newell and Daiwa (but of course, that could have been due to poor maintenance). I have always been impressed by Penn HT100 drags and even landed a 60# bluefin on my 500L with 20# line. My knees were rubber for about 20 minutes but it made a believer out of me. Personally, I like the looks of the 525Mag and the 975CS. I just don't know which would actually be better for a 15-20# live bait rig, fishing the slide, clamping onto my jigstick for dorado and cobia and maybe even surfcasting to tarpon along the Florida coast. I realize that's asking a lot, but I can't afford a wagon load of gear. Happy hook-ups! <br><br>