Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American fork creek fishing?

whats it like to fish at american fork creek?

brown and rainbow trout is what i hear. and a bag limit of 4.

if your goal was 4 trout how long would you expect to be out there to get it?
[signature]
I fished it twice within the last 3 weeks. The lower canyon gets little sunlight this year so it will be cold. Above the turn off to Tibble Fork gets much more sunlight and frequently warms up. I don't know if I'd bother keeping fish from there. They average about a foot long at best and are quite skinny. Even the 15-16 inch fish probable don't weigh a pound on average. I also thing there's a problem with mercury or something with them. Fishing slows in the winter there but still shouldn't take more than an hour to catch 4. The rest of the year it shouldn't take but 20 minutes tops.
[signature]
I agree that its not the place to go if you want to keep fish. Its fun, but just for sport.

The water problem is with arsenic leaching out from old mine tailings and coming down into Tibble Fork.

Here is the official word:
Quote:The Utah Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), in conjunction with the Utah Department of Health and Utah County Health Department, is issuing a fish consumption advisory for brown and cutthroat trout from the North Fork of American Fork Creek.
Due to elevated arsenic levels in the fish meat, adults should limit their consumption of these trout to no more than one meal per month. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children under age 12 should avoid eating any trout from the creek.

But again, the fish aren't worth keeping anyway.
[signature]
What is the road like up the canyon. Is it plowed? Any ice reports?
[signature]
It's plowed upto but not past Tibble Fork. Tibble Fork still had open water - ice comes and goes. Even when it looks solid there are springs that make it unsafe to venture out.
[signature]
browns and bows all through the canyon, and above tibble. Hike about a mile above tibble, and you will start getting the cutthroats. I've been ice fishing tibble a lot. Too easy of fishing if you ask me, but I bring the fly rod and fish the spillway when I get bored. Check her out, and bring six dollars to get up the canyon.
[signature]
How thick is the ice?
[signature]