Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor work
Ok, the last three years have been way too busy. My boat sat for a while. The last time I took it out it would start and idle just perfectly. However, once I got out of the no wake zone and hit the throttle it would start going, then bog down, sputter, backfire a few times through the carb, and die. It wouldn't start again unless I let it sit for about 1/2 hour or so. Then you could go through the whole routine again.
After researching it a bit, I think the carb bowl and jets are gummed up or there is some sediment that moves around and plugs the jets when you hit the throttle. I've been planning on digging into it and trying to fix it myself, but I think I'm now resigned to just paying someone to fix this and give it a good overall tuneup at the same time.
The boat is a '79 Fiberform with a 305 I/O and a 4bbl carb on top.
Can anyone recommend a good shop to do this work that can get it running well again without costing me a small fortune?
Other than this, the boat is in amazing shape, always stored under cover and VERY low hours.
Basically, I want her up and running well in time for ice-off!
[signature]
i have a two stroke 150 merc force. it sat for a couple years also. I am no expert but did you put any addatives in the tank before you let it sit like stabil I had to drain my gas tank because I new the gas was bad and diddnt want to force it into the fuel lines and carbs so maybe your gas was bad and you trying to still use it maight have been your problem but like I say I am no expert I just screwed up a little by not adding anything to my gas that was left over.
[signature]
Nope, the gas was left as we WERE going to go on a couple more trips....then life happened. Anyway, we drained it and put fresh gas in before that trip, so it wasn't the bad gas. I'm guessing sediment in the bowl.
[signature]
[pirate]That sucks took my boat to the boat dude in westhaven for carb problems Did a great job and fair price. he rebuilt it and I got 8mph more out of it I think he knows his s&&&[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Where is he located? How much did the work cost?
[signature]
I don't know if you got your boat fixed yet, but it is certainly the fuel in the carb. that is the problem. When fuel sits for a time, it begins to break down and there is a gummy residue that will be coated on all the parts of the carb. It is not hard to fix if you have any mechanical skills. You can buy a rebuild kit for about 25.00 or 30.00 which comes with new seals, o-rings, etc. for your particular carb. and it will make it run like new again. The problem isn't the new parts you will recieve in the kit though. The problem is all the grime which is covering all the parts inside the carb. Buy a bottle or 2 of either carb cleaner or break parts cleaner. They are pressurized spray cans that will clean the grime off without a problem. Just take all the parts out of the carb, remember where they came from, and spray off all parts, spray into all the holes that you can see, take the float off and clean it, spay up into the needle valve hole, etc. Basically spray that stuff everywhere and wipe off some of the sludge if you need to. Instead of puting the old parts back in, replace them with the new ones from the kit and you will basically have a new carbeurator. It may seem tough when you look at it, but it is not too difficult. I rebuilt my first carb out of a Ford Taurus when I was only 15 years old. I was surprised when I put it back on and the car started and passed emmisions when it wouldn't before. My point is, if a 15 year old with little mechanical experience could do it, you probably can too and save a lot of money.
[signature]
I'm sure this can be a fairly simple, straight forward job. The problem is finding time to tear the thing down and get it fixed right. This is the reason it sat all last year: Time.
We now have the $$$ thanks to the tax return, and we are ready to get it fixed. Now I just need to find a reputable place to do the work. I also would like to know what they do to ensure it is running right before we take it back. I can start and run it in the driveway just fine with the water hose attached, but you can't really punch the throttle doing that or it could cause damage since there is no pressure on the prop. Do they have a way to put the back end in a tank or something to load test the engine?
Any other input on a good shop / mechanic to take the boat to?
[signature]
I have heard by many people that Hansen Marine in SL is a great shop. However, I have heard by many more people, with much more conviction, that Lee's Marine in Hyrum is the place to go. I have had people tell me that it is worth the drive from Salt Lake to go to Lee's in Hyrum.
[signature]
Well, the boat is about to go in this week. Unfortunately I can't drive it clear up to Hyrum to get it fixed. I really need to try to stay in the Salt Lake / Tooele area.

There are a couple of guys that advertise on KSL. I seem to remember some bad reports about one person like that, but dont remember any details.

Other than that, it looks like my options are one of the dealerships on Main street or Advanced RV that took over Bevan's Marine out in West Valley. They have done well with us on ATV and snowmobile work, but boats are new to them. He did say they picked up a mechanic that had been with Bevans for years, though.

Any final thoughts before I just put the names of the dealers on a dartboard and throw a dart to see who I take it to? Smile
[signature]
Lee's Marine, best in the state
[signature]
First thing you oughta do is replace the fuel filter. If this doesn't get the job done you need to check the fuel pump. Pull the coil wire out of the coil so the engine won't start. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb & put the end in a container like a coke bottle. Crank the engine over & see how much gas gets pumped into the bottle in about 15 seconds of cranking. If the bottle isn't half full, you've most likely got a bad fuel pump.

Good luck.
[signature]