Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300+Perch Day at Roberts
A bunch of my neighbors decided to take there kids and have a perch derby at Roberts Gravel Pond. I started the day with steelfisher by drilling 30 holes and setting up three ice houses. Everyone started to arrive around 9:30 and the perch were hitting fast and furious from the start.

Everyone got into plenty of fish. It didnt seem to matter what you were using as long as it was small enough to fit into their mouths. There really is not a better place for fast action. When the kids got sick of reeling in fish they went sledding.

[inline Mom&BabyRoberts#1.jpg]
[inline BabyRoberts#2.jpg] [inline BabyRoberts#2.jpg]
[inline SledofPerchRoberts#3.jpg]

We started filleting the perch at noon and we didn't finish until after 2:00. We had to call for catch and release from the kids at about 1:00 because we could not make any headway. They were catching them as fast as we could fillet.

We heated up some oil and fried the perch fillets fresh out of the water plus we took some fillets home.

Overall it was a great day to be out with the neighbors and kids.

I included a few pictures of how I fillet small perch without getting any bones in the fillet.

[inline "Perch fillet #1.jpg"]

[inline "Perch fillet #2.jpg"]

[inline perchfillet#4.jpg][inline Perchillet#5.jpg][inline Perchfillet#6.jpg][inline Perchfillet#7.jpg][inline Perchfillet#8.jpg][inline Perchfillet#9.jpg][inline perchfillet#3.jpg]
[signature]
great pics, i can only imagine the hand cramps from fileting that many fish. Maybe if i could get a few more days like that the wife might go with me a bit more.
[signature]
I thought about taking my group of kids to Roberts, I wish I would have now, Ririe being as slow as it was Saturday. Those kids will talk about that day for the rest of their lives. Good Job.
[signature]
Windriver,

Your a dedicated man to work through all those perch! Great pics on the filleting process. Was anyone else out on the pond; it seemed like everyone was out at Ririe.

OvidCreek
[signature]
Hey Wind...thanks for the pictures...I wonder how many perch are in that place...everybody seems to have the same luck there and it's that way throughout the whole season.
[signature]
There were a lot of people out on the ice at Roberts. didn't count them but as we left we probably passed at least 10 cars. Doesn't seem like much but that is a small pond.

Windriver
[signature]
Okay, that does it, my son and I are taking a trip to Roberts. Those pics are simply incredible. And thanks for the pics showing how to filet the perch; very helpful.

I know I always ask this but, are the roads into Roberts clear enough for my 2WD truck? I hate being handicapped but it is paid for! [Smile]

thanks
[signature]
The roads were fine yesterday, but that can be a day by day thing. If you think you will have problems I would just pull off at the first parking area and walk. Perch seemed to be being caught all over the lake. We were fishing just out from the far bathroom and parking area.

Windriver
[signature]
Congratulations for a job well done. We need to have more activities with kids in the fishing arena. By the way, did anyone else catch anything besides the perch? Just curious!

[signature]
Earlier in the year I was getting some stocker trout, but I think they are mostly caught out now. We didn't get anything other than perch.

Windriver
[signature]