Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOWS
So I work with a guy whos sister works for the dwr and he keeps telling me that they are no longer stockin bows that can reproduce he says that all the bows they are stalcking are sterile so that they can restore the natural cut species to the state. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this? I mean I think that it is great that they want to restore the population of the cuts but at the same time taking out the bows? Come on I grew up fishing for bows and they will always be my favorite fish to catch and eat!!!
[signature]
i think they have been doing this for a few years. idaho has been doing the same, idaho has been working on planting cutts but have had problems finding a pure dna strain, because the bows have deluted the gene. Thats the reason from what i understand that they are only planting sterile bows now. I also heard it had something to do with utah power, they have to pay so much in protecting the cutts every year due to the damns.
[signature]
Planting sterile fish also makes it so that the dwr can manage fish numbers better. If fish can spawn on their own the dwr isn't able to manage the fish numbers in a body of water as well.
[signature]
And if the DWR has to keep planting fish they make more money that way...[crazy]
[signature]
money talks. They need to keep feeding the beast. (DNR)
[signature]
The one thing I have heard a number of times (understand I'm not a biologist) is that the sterile strains tend to actually grow a lot faster. I believe all of the bows they have planted in Strawberry for several years now have been sterile. Unfortunately they just don't plant as many as they used to.
[signature]
In general, at least for wyoming, rainbows are stocked yearly because they are put in lakes where they can't successfully spawn. so basically they are sterile even if they do have the ability to reproduce.
[signature]
[quote bbkyle35]In general, at least for wyoming, rainbows are stocked yearly because they are put in lakes where they can't successfully spawn. so basically they are sterile even if they do have the ability to reproduce.[/quote]

This is also the case in Utah...in most places where rainbows are stocked, they cannot successfully reproduce. Stocking sterile triploid rainbows increases the value of the stock because they grow faster...what the state has done is look at ways of improving the quality of rainbow trout stocked in Utah. They have done this through examining strain differences, WD resistance, and triploid heat-shocking. This is NOT a bad thing!
[signature]
i talked to a fish biologist about this probly a year ago and he said the main reason they were doing this was to keep the cutts off the endangered species act, he didnt mention anything to me about them growing faster or anything, he said there had been threats to put them on the list unless something was done.
[signature]
This is also the case in Utah...in most places where rainbows are stocked, they cannot successfully reproduce. Stocking sterile triploid rainbows increases the value of the stock because they grow faster...what the state has done is look at ways of improving the quality of rainbow trout stocked in Utah. They have done this through examining strain differences, WD resistance, and triploid heat-shocking. This is NOT a bad thing![/quote]

I wish they would stock triploids here, that how the new world reccord came about in Canada.
[signature]
[quote bbkyle35]

I wish they would stock triploids here, that how the new world reccord came about in Canada.[/quote]

They already are and have been for years...
http://wildlife.utah.gov/fes/pdf/vol_12-1.pdf
[signature]
sorry didn't specify...I'm from wyoming, not utah
[signature]