Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle smallies and perch-5/31
I Float tubed and shore fished one of the bays near the state park marina today(5/31) between 12:30 pm and 6:30 pm, caught countless perch ranging from 6-11" and 5 smallmouth in the 13" range and 1 chub using white curly tails and 1/16 oz. jig heads. All fish were close to shore, the bigger bass were a little ways out but not far.

Saw one guy pull in a smallie from shore that had to be about 4-5 lbs. He also caught many perch and one trout using a similar rig as mine.

Also saw some teenage boys pulling in some perch and a few bass from shore using fly rods.

Great day for all except those fishing for trout, not much trout action happening in this particular bay.
[signature]
Thanks for the post RC. I've never caught a perch and my wife has a few small cousins that want me to take them fishing. I typically fish rivers which isn't the best for introducing several children at one time to fishing. I'm guessing perch fishing would be the way to go. Do you have any suggestions?
[signature]
I would use the same gear that I posted, fish one of the bays where it's weedy, I cast out and retrieve slowly, most of the perch were holding tight to the shore (within 10 feet). I had the most action between 3-5 pm with the perch.
[signature]