Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone tried a float tube @Lake Powell?
Has anyone tried using a float tube for Lake Powell?. If so what would be the best set-up bait wise and how should one be prepared for the bass instead of trout when it come to using a tube?
[signature]
I use one very often when I'm at Powell.
Not sure what your asking?
When I'm after Crappie and gills I use small jigs below a bobber or worms. When I'm after stripers I use a cast master or jig with anchovie. When I'm after walleye, I drag the bottom with bouncers and spinner rigs with anchovie or worm.

As far as your tube and finned fish, be aware that some of the fins are sharp enough to puncture your tube if your not careful. Other than that "tube away".

Where are you thinking of going? Powell is a big place.
[signature]
I worked in Page for 2 months one spring, and a friend and i made a habit of fishing the barricades at the dam for stripers out of our float tubes and a really small raft. It was okay as long as the weather was good and it wasn't saturday or sunday. Be warned, people don't look for float tubes at a lake like that, had some close calls with getting run over. I wouldn't put a float tube in anytime between mid may and september, too many idiots with a lot of horsepower down there.
[signature]
I have seen a couple down there but not a good thing to do...
[signature]
I work at Halls Crossing but I fish mostly in Bullfrog and once in a while in Hite. I am new to the tube thing, I've only tubed in Idaho using a fly rod catching trout. But you answered my questioned. Sounds like a I should do the same tactics with a tube as I would a boat.
Good thinking about those stripper's dorsal fin puncturing tube. Thanks!
[signature]
Halls is probably not the best place for a tube, kind of exposed. But they are great for putzing arond the marina and hitting the tires. At bullfrog, I hit the coves and beach by the marina.
I would not venture past the moorings or out of the 5mph zone. The cove upstraem by the old launch would be a good place to be out of the way.
Carry one of those air horn things to get peoples attention if you think they are comming at you, wear bright clothing and put a big safety orange flag on the back of the tube.

Don't worry cliff, he's not planning on tubing to the San Juan. I would not take a tube out to the barricades, unless it was on a pontoon boat that I was using as a base camp.
[signature]