Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yuba toothy critter!!!!!
We decided to give Yuba one more try before the ice gets scary. We walked from Oasis across the lake and into the narrow area. Yes, it is a very long walk. We started in 30 ft. of water, no fish. I decided to drill holes in towary shore going shalllow. I started in the shallow hole, 15 ft of water. Marked lots of fish but no takers. Finally got a nice perch. Then I saw a fish come off the bottom and look at my lure, and drop back down. It came up a second time and droped off. I was jigging to try and get it to hit. The third time it came up, it hit and the fun began. It was a nice 26 inch northern. caught it on a northland buckshot spoon with a minnow head. We moved around trying to find the perch but only caught a few. It was really warm by the time we walked off the lake. The ice is still thick but the edges were a little soft. It was an[inline "yuba pike 003.JPG"]other great day on the ice.
[signature]
Nce fish
[signature]
That is awesome... you got to love watching them think about it [Smile]

Nice work!
[signature]
great report and awesome picture. congrats. [cool]
[signature]
First that fat cat and now the northern.... are you sure your fishin for perch? [Wink]

Nice job!
[signature]
I got a 24" there last month on a kastmaster jigging for perch. Not a huge pike but pretty exciting when you're expecting a perch!

Good job!
[signature]
we have never eaten pike so we kept the fish to try. thought it interesting that this tiny perch is the only thing that was in its stomach. He must have been really hungry.[inline "dinner 001.JPG"]
[signature]
Thats a great looking fish bet it was good eating too northerns are pretty tasty.[Wink] It seems a lot of people catch the northerns when fishing for perch kinda funny.
[signature]
When eating them watch for y bones. If you pm me I have an easy way of eating them while not choking on y bones. Northern are very good eating fish.
[signature]
lunkerhunter has a link to a you tube video of how to fillet a northern. It is different than any fish we have caught. He's on the menu for tonight. thanks for the offer of help.
[signature]
Congratulations. Indeed, a very nice fish and excellent table fare. For those of you who would like to catch a northern and sample its delicious meat, I would recommend redmond lake. It doesn't freeze over and catching a northern there is much easier than Yuba.
Again, congratulations.
[signature]
[sly]
[signature]
great pics
[signature]
Congrats on the nice fish and keep those pics coming
[signature]
I don't fillet them any different then any other fish, I found it wastes to much meat when I've tried. I'm sure if I practiced it would be fine. I've never had a problem however if you cut them with the fork after they've been cooked correctly, I have half the square piece of fillet with no bones, the other half you divide in the middle again with the fork it takes the meat right off the bones and leaves a neat set of them to throw away. Northern's in my opinion are one of the best eating fish there is.
[signature]