Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WY. ELK TAGS
Finally after 3 years of applying in WY. for elk tags the wife and I finally drew in an area where there are only 3 nonresident tags. We get the whole month of Sept. with our bows and 10 days or so in Oct. with our rifles if we don't punch a tag on the archery hunt. I had already talked to the biologist about the area earlier and he had given me the names of several ranches that allow access with no charge and I contacted them as well, they talked like they had good populations on their land and they seemed very friendly toward a nonresident hunter. I'M PUMPED! [cool]
[signature]
That's aweosme!!! Sounds like you should have a good chance at a bull. I would really like to get into the drawings for Wyoming, but I have no idea where to start.
What part of the state are you hunting?
[signature]
I just did my homework, and contacted biologists along with info from the Eastman's hunting journals, pulled up info on harvest statistics etc. on the WY. Fish and Game site. Tried to get some info from some WY. residents on the BFT site but they weren't too interested in helping us but that's all good.[:p]
[signature]
I guess next time I'll just ignore your PM's completely since my replys were of no help to you.
[signature]
I have actually done a little bit of Homework, but I don't want to get into something I will regret. I don't have a bunch of time to go out of state and scout. If I spend over $1000 on a tag, I plan to work my arss off on filling my tag.
I figure I will build some points for a few years and save some money and do a bunch of research. In about 3 years I should be able to draw something. I have been looking at units 30 and 31 around Flaming Gorge area.
So why don't you PM me and help a fellow BFT guy out. I subscribe to Eastmans and I do plenty of research, I just lack the field experience.
I need to figure out some good spot for deer i Wyoming too. I know you have a fair share of experience with the deer over there[Wink]
[signature]
I appreciate all your help.[:p]
[signature]
LOL, Congrats on the draw, and good luck on the hunt!
[signature]
We appreciate it, not looking for a BC bull just a couple respectable animals, the wife has never taken a mature bull and as we are in our 60's I would like her to take a nice bull. Looking forward to being able to hunt them during the rut with our archery gear.
[signature]
Congrats Pete. Share with me in a pm where you drew. Hope you both score on some nice critters
[signature]
[#6000bf]Congrat's on the draw crest. I was unsuccesful on 31 with max point. However, my odds were still in the 5% [/#6000bf][#6000bf]range.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]As great as a state as Wyoming is, the deer herd currently is not managed well IMO. [/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]However, the elk is good and I am going to keep buying points for deer.[/#6000bf]
[signature]
Congratts too you both!!![Smile]
[signature]
CONGRATS, well I have been trying last 4 years for a bull tag and I have drawn none. I have put in for cow tags and have drawn 3 cow tags... this sucks... I just checked and got another cow tag now.... I have gotten all my cows and was thinking it was time for a bull.... next year i will try again.... I always get into a whole herd of elk and would have no problem getting a nice bull....

anyway nice going on drawing your tags... They issued 9 tags for the area I wanted and missed the draw.... at least i will get a nice cow again.....
[signature]
I have actually been putting in for 8 or 9 years but for areas near Cody mainly, I was glad when they went to the point system. We started applying together and had max points, just had to settle for a unit that was easier to draw in this year. The one we had been applying for previous years the odds were less than 1% for a nonresident. Hopefully we will have some decent pictures to post this fall.
[signature]
I go up near Buffalo Wy. I finished high school up there and I know just where to go.... last few years you can get 4 doe deer tags and 4 doe antelope tags also.. I usually max out on my tags and animals... I save the deer tags for white-tail's. I stayed in UT last year and ended up only with a doe deer for the freezer. So its time to head to wyoming again this fall to fill my freezer again...... Now just waiting to see how the UT tag drawing goes....
[signature]
I just pulled up the draw odds for the area the wife and I drew our tags in and they had dropped the number of nonresident permits to 1 permit so I guess applying as a party does have it's advantages. In talking with one of the ranchers on the phone he said they should look at raising the number of permits instead. He seemed to think there were plenty of elk in this unit to justify it. I hope there are, guess I'll find out when I get up there this summer scouting. I'll have to take the boat as there are plenty of nice walleye in the nearby lake I'm told.
[signature]
So what's the harm in telling us the unit you drew in?
[signature]
With a little research you should be able to figure it out.[Wink]
[signature]
I don't really care, I just think it's funny how it's such a big secret to you. You will probably never hunt the unit again in your life and I'm sure there are other Non-resident applicants. I don't think many people are going to come on here and automatically put in for the same unit because some guy on BFT drew the tag.
[signature]
It's just buggin the heck out of you isn't it.[Wink]
[signature]
Yup, and I have no idea why.
I guess I just don't understand why it can't be revealed. I wonder the same thing in all the magazines I read, is it really going to affect drawing odds? Are that many people really going to change all the plans they have because somebody revealed a unit in a magazine or online?

Oh BTW

58 [Wink]
[signature]