Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First attempt at float tube mod
Well, I tried to make my first mod for my float tube. I was pretty happy with it, now im looking and wondering if it will sit to low in the water? I think the cork of the rod is ok, but the reel might be close enough to get wet? Sorry for the cell phone pic.
[signature]
Nice! I like your design especially the raked back look of the net holder. Your reel is gonna ride in the water I think. Can ya hike it up a little? Shorten the staps? Don't think it would take much.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It looks good, but you DEFINITELY need to bring everything up higher out of the water. Not only will your reels get dunked but a higher riding holder makes it easier to see what you have and to make changes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Okay, I got to ask...what does it matter if the reel gets wet?
But I agree it would be better a little higher so you can see what is what.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Okay, I got to ask...what does it matter if the reel gets wet?
But I agree it would be better a little higher so you can see what is what.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]You are primarily a fly flinger, so you have probably not experienced the problems that develop when a spinning or baitcast reel gets dunked...especially in salt water or gritty muddy water. A precision spinning or BC reel has many parts and gears that fit together closely and are not improved by water deposits or grit in the works. Some spinning reels immediately become hard to reel if they get water in them. Others are okay as long as the water is liquid, but they sieze up when the water dries and leaves even a small amount of water deposit inside. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Any spinner or baitcast reel that has been dunked should be taken apart, cleaned, dried and relubed. Much better to keep them up out of the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Gotcha[Wink] I do realize salt is a big concern, EVEN with fly gear.
I just know, with Fly Gear, sometimes putting them in the water, makes them work better....specially when frozen[laugh]
[signature]
It looks good. If you're worrying about hanging too low, just drill another hole in the back below the one you already have for the clip, and then run a zip-tie through and around the d-ring and zip it up... at leas that's what i would do.

How do you feel about the prowler by the way? Definitely looks cool!
[signature]
What TD said, but looks loike a clean, quick setup.

-ABT
[signature]
[quote MillerJ]It looks good. If you're worrying about hanging too low, just drill another hole in the back below the one you already have for the clip, and then run a zip-tie through and around the d-ring and zip it up... at leas that's what i would do.

How do you feel about the prowler by the way? Definitely looks cool![/quote]

I did a little review [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/Float_Tubing_General_F81/gforum.cgi?post=428791;search_string=prowler%20maiden;#428791"]here[/url]
[signature]
Thanks all, I did some more work on it. I'll take some pix as soon as I can.
[signature]
Ok, here are the latest and greatest. I switched the net and the rod positions, as the net seemed to heavy and threw off the balance a bit.

Edit: Why dont inline images work?
[signature]
atvaholic, fiirst off, and mind you I am NOT a blonde, but I looked at that picture and thought, Why would you put a kick stand on your tube, then I realized it was the butt of your net DOOOOOH[blush][laugh]

Anyway, I guess the test is the water...WAHOO!

As far as your pictures, if you want them in your post:

1. They must be smaller width than 450 pix
2. At the bottom of your reply square is a choose file for the picture you want.
3. BE SURE and click the little square that says "inline" THEN, up load picture.
4. Once up loaded, at the top of your TEXT box (the one you write in) is some icons, like B U I and so on. Look for the thing that looks like a picture frame. Click on it, then another screen will pop up asking you if you want the IN LINE. Click on that then find the picture or number and click on that. Then just wait. It should be there.
[signature]
LOL whats wrong with being blonde? Yeah, I dont really like that either (how low it sits) but otherwise it will be in my way. It was supposed to sit on the back on an angle, but its too heavy and throws the balance off.
[signature]
I am sure it will be fine in the water, I just feel like a total goober for thinking that at first LOL
[signature]