Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June's HOOKED Fishing Tackle $10 Gift Certificate Give Away
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]For June's [#804040]HOOKED[/#804040] Fishing Tackle $10 Gift Certificate Give Away, I thought we'd mix it up a little. I wanted to get into something I know nothing about so I knew I'd need help. Not just a little help but EXPERT help. So, I recruited an expert.

There is no disputing that we have several guys here who could be considered experts in one form of fishing or another but when "expert" came to mind the first choice was our very own Float Tube Board Moderator, TubeDude. So I thought why not get the 'Dude to give us a little "Float Tube Quiz" and maybe we (especially me) could learn a little about tubin like the 'Dude. TD graciously accepted and said he'd be honored to do it. Thanks 'Dude for helping out like you always do.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]As always, you need to be a BFT registered user to win. Answer all questions with the best possible answer. If later you decide you've found a better answer, you can edit your answers. Anything goes! Answer all the questions and then pick a tie breaker number between 1-200. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]TD and myself will determine the final winner based on the answers and tie breaker number. Contest ends June 15th at 6:00pm.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]So without further ado, here goes...[/size][/font] [center][size 5]TUBIN’ TRIVIA QUESTIONS ALA TubeDude[/size][/center] [left][size 4][#ff0000]1.[/#ff0000] What are the three basic types of modern “flotation fishing” craft? (Think shapes)[/size][/left]

[size 4][#ff0000]2.[/#ff0000] What do float tubers use for propulsion? (Choose only one.)[/size]

[size 4]___Outboards [/size]

[size 4]___Trolling Motors [/size]

[size 4]___Swimming Fins [/size]

[size 4]___Push Poles [/size]

[size 4]___Burritos[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[b][size 4][#ff0000]3.[/#ff0000] What is the best kind of waders to wear for float tubing in cold water? (Choose one.)[/size]

[size 4]___Ultra Lights [/size]

[size 4]___Neoprene [/size]

[size 4]___Panty Hose[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4][#ff0000]4.[/#ff0000] When a float tube fly fisherman makes a short cast, followed by a lot of back kicking and stripping out extra line, what do they call this kind of cast? [/size]

[size 4][/size]

[b][size 4][#ff0000]5.[/#ff0000] You should NEVER take a float tube:[/size]

[size 4][#408080][/#408080][#408080]A.[/#408080] On streams or rivers with fast moving [/size]

[size 4]and/or shallow water.[/size]

[size 4][#408080][/#408080][#408080]B.[/#408080] On any water whenever there is a strong [/size]

[size 4]possibility of wind and/or lightning[/size]

[size 4][#408080]C.[/#408080] Into any area of a waterway on which there [/size]

[size 4]is heavy activity by motorized watercraft.[/size]

[size 4][#408080]D.[/#408080] In your back seat on a first date.[/size]

[size 4][#408080]E.[/#408080] All of the above. [/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4][#ff0000]6.[/#ff0000] What are the greatest advantages of float tubes over boats?[/size]

[size 4][#408080][/#408080][#408080]A.[/#408080] Lower cost of acquisition and maintenance.[/size]

[size 4][#408080]B.[/#408080] Greater portability and access to hard to reach fishing spots.[/size]

[size 4][#408080]C.[/#408080] Stealthier approaches and quieter fishing.[/size]

[size 4][#408080]D.[/#408080] Better exercise[/size]

[size 4][#408080]E. [/#408080]All of the above[/size]

[size 4][#408080]F.[/#408080] None of the above[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4][#ff0000]7.[/#ff0000] What are the two primary advantages to fishing from a boat, rather than a float tube?[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[b][size 4][#ff0000]8.[/#ff0000] What can you NOT do well from a float tube? (Pick 2…or more)[/size]

[size 4][#408080]A.[/#408080] Fly Casting [/size]

[size 4][#408080]B.[/#408080] Trolling for billfish in blue water. [/size]

[size 4][#408080]C.[/#408080] Spinning…Light to Heavy [/size]

[size 4][#408080][/#408080][#408080]D.[/#408080] Trolling (slowly) [/size]

[size 4][#408080]E.[/#408080] Floating Rivers [/size]

[size 4][#408080]F.[/#408080] Fishing Salt Water [/size]

[size 4][#408080]G.[/#408080] Remote Pack-In[/size]

[size 4][#408080]H.[/#408080] Towing a Water Skier [/size]

[size 4][#408080]I.[/#408080] Cranking, Pitching and Flipping [/size]

[size 4][/size]

[b][size 4][#ff0000]9.[/#ff0000] “WHAT GOES IN, MUST COME OUT” refers to:[/size]

[size 4][#408080]A.[/#408080] Newton’s law of gravity.[/size]

[size 4][#408080]B.[/#408080] TubeDude’s law of liquid intake.[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[b][size 4][#ff0000]10.[/#ff0000] What do you most NOT want to hear while fishing from a float tube?[/size]

[size 4][#408080]A.[/#408080] ”SHARK!”[/size]

[size 4][#408080]B.[/#408080] ”Let’s see how close we can come to that guy in the donut.”[/size]

[size 4][#408080]C.[/#408080] ”P-S-S-S-S-S-S-S”[/size]

[size 4][#408080]D.[/#408080] ”Hey, buddy. Don’t you know it’s wakeless speed in here? Bwa-ha-ha-ha!”[/size]

[size 4][#408080]E.[/#408080] All of the above[/size]

[size 4][/size] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 5]GOOD LUCK![/size][/font][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/center]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the commercial, BLM. See, you guys thought we was serious and we was just funnin' witcha.

Hey, there are a couple of questions there that might be subject to interpretation.

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here’s some hints on those other than “multiple guess”.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] 1. Think in terms of shapes, and what they are called.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] 4. Phrase as “A float tuber’s __________ cast”[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]7. Consider basic performance, especially on a larger body of water. __________ & __________[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Have fun and good luck.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]TubeDude[/size][/font]
[signature]
well here it gos.

1. v boat, pontoon, and donut

2.swimming fins

3.neoprenes, though i use ultralights haha

4.i believe this one is trolling or stripping line, typical answer from a jigfisherman, ok so now this says a float tubers distance cast.

5.E though D is debatabul

6.E

7.coverage of a lake and trollin speed

8.B and H

9.B? not familiar with this scientific theory haha

10.E

lucky number 177
[signature]
This one ought to be interesting[Smile]
[signature]
1. U-boat ,pontoon and donut

2.swimming fins

3. neoprene ( make note to try panty hose )

4. Rookie cast

5. E ( but I have survived doing B)

6. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

7. Turbo speed & long distance ( and you don't need to paddle to shore to go potty )

8. B & H or was it H & B

9. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB I just hate that on windy days and its blowing the wrong way .

10. E

tie breaker 69 HE HE did I win ??????? LOL
[signature]
1.cirlce(donut) tube, u-boat, pontoon boat

2.swimming fins

3.neoprene

4. distance cast

5.E

6.E

7.faster, cover more water

8.B,H

9.B

10.E

and my tie braker will be 139

hope i may win, with acount that all my stuff that i tube with was originally tube dudes[Wink].
[signature]
1 Uboat,pontoon and donut
2 fins
3 neoprene
4 "Thigh powered trolling"for flyfisherman who cant cast!! me
5 E
6 E
7 You dont have to go to the shore to pee!!You cant carry as much gear or "BEER" on a tube!!
8 B,H
9 B
10 E
"BIG FISH RULE"M.H. #81
[signature]
1. pontoon,donut,u boat
2. swimming fins
3. neoprenes
4. a distance cast
5.E 6.E
7. Speed contol for trolling and lake coverage
8.B E H
9.B
10. E
Tie breaker 102
[signature]
1. V-Boat, Pontoon, Donut

2. Swim Fins

3. Neoprene

4. Distance cast

5. E

6. E

7. You don't get cold & wet , cover more lake

8. B & H

9. B

10. C

Tiebreaker 217
[signature]
[cool]Are we having fun yet?

I thought everyone would know the answer to number 4. But, I guess it is too much of an "inside joke". Let's make it easier.

If you were to enter a casting competition, there would be two main areas of expertise..._____________ & accuracy.

To properly complete #4, you need to say this cast is called a "float tuber's ____________ cast".

Sorry if I was suitably vague on that one. But, you can go back and edit any of your entries before closing time on the 15'th. Everyone know how to edit?

Oh yeah, just for the record, #7 does not have anything to do with "#1 or #2"...bodily functions. Think in terms of float tubes having certain advantages on small waters, but boats having other advantages on larger bodies of water. A couple of answers are close...but no winners yet.

TubeDude
[signature]
At least I should be able to make everyone else look good. So here goes.

1. Round (donut), U-Boat (open face), Pontoon (high boys)

2. Swimming Fins

3. Neoprene (prefered 5-6.5mm)

4. Distance Cast

5. E - All of the above

6. E - All of the above

7. Distance and Safety

8. B - Trolling for billfish in Blue Water &
H - Towing a Water Skier

9. B - TubeDude's law of liquid intake

10. E - All of the above

Tie breaker - 92
Are you sure that #2 isn't "all of the above"[Tongue] Good luck everyone.
[signature]
I'll admit I cheated here. Even though I own both a tube (which TD I'll still give to Jigme if he gets in touch with me) and a pontoon boat I still didn't know the answers to some of these. So, being the resourcefull kinda guy I am I checked out Tube Dudes forum. Who knew float tubing was so popular. All this time I thought I was a geek and I'm in the majority. O.K.....I'm still a geek but, at least we are now a majority.

1. Round, U or V (both the same basic design), and Pontoon.

2. Fins

3. Neoprenes

4. Distance cast

5. A, B and C, I can't answer E because there was this one time in the back of my 68 ford Torino when Mary White and I (deleted by Moderator).

6. E.

7. 1 - It's really hard to pack a half dozen strippers you just met at "Sammy's on the Island" for a run down to MM 53 for Cervesas and burgers at Jimmy's place on a float tube. 2 - Once the afore mentioned strippers have been fully imbibed on Pacificos and Oyster shooters is even harder too (deleted by moderator) on a float tube. NOTE: to FB2, strippers are a kind of fish we caught in Fl. They are hard to handle and expensive to catch, hence my answers. Sammys on the Island is a super secret fishing spot we go to get them. They love Cervesas (a type of bait) and burgers when served aboard a 53' Striker (a really big boat). Tell no one!

8. B, H. E could be a possibility depending on the size, flow rates and depth.

9. B.

10. E.

Did I win? Oh, 40. Did I win yet?

IFG
[cool]Yeah, you're a winner alright. Pretty much on target with MOST of the answers.

Since this is a fishing oriented forum...with a family type audience...I'm going to assume you made several successive typos. You really meant to write STRIPERS...didn't ya? Although I never heard about shootin' oysters for bait. Do ya use a full or modified choke...and do ya need a retriever?

And, for being a geek, you seem to have developed some interesting ways of getting your moneys' worth from a float tube. I think I'm learning things from this little exercise too.

TubeDude
[signature]
[left][size 1]Okay, here is my attempt:[/size][/left] [left][size 1]1. round, u-boat (aka "kick boat"), and pontoon[/size][/left] [left][size 1]2. Fins, preferably from a local scuba shop[/size][/left] [left][size 1]3. Neopremes with long johns and sweats, NOT levis[/size][/left] [left][size 1]4. You got me stumped on this one. I usually call it "long lining it so the fly can sink more," or "I'm too tired after catching so many fish to cast that far." A.K.A. "Distance Casting"[/size][/left] [left][size 1]5. Rivers, (unless its a pontoon that's rated for them). Windy/stormy conditions, well, all of the above. I'm curious though TD, what would have Tube Babe done if you DIDN'T have a tube in the back seat?[/size][/left] [left][size 1]6. All of the above[/size][/left] [left][size 1]7. Are there really any advantages?????????? Okay I know I would love a boat when I want to fish 3 miles out in the lake, or cover a lot of water in a brief amount of time. I would really love to have a boat when that unpredictable wind picks up and blows me all the way across the lake and I have to walk, or hitch a ride back to my car. Saftey in inclimate weather is another bonus on bigger waters.[/size][/left] [left][size 1]8. I'm going to guess Towing Water skiers and certain types of rivers only. Because I'm willing to bet that Tube Dude has caught a billfish out of his tube. Since I can edit my response, I'll have to say trolling for billfish is probably unlikely out of a tube.[/size][/left] [left][size 1]9. B all the way[/size][/left] [left][size 1]10. E E E E[/size] [/left] [left]Lucky Number: 112[/left]
[signature]
[cool]I'll ask the questions here. Don't get personal (#5). But, since you asked, I never float tube on the first date. AND, I always practice safe tubing.

And you're wrong about the billfish from a tube. Sharks, rays, gars, northern pike, mini muskies, several large saltwater critters...but no billfish. I do get a pretty good sized BILL from my credit card companies, for fishing tackle. Is that close enough?

Thanks for jumpin' in.

TubeDude
[signature]
I like that response tube dude
[signature]
[blush] I had to look up a billfish on the net after your reply. Hooking into one of those babies could pull me up onto my fins!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]C'mon Guys & Gals! Take a shot at the TubeDude's Float Tube Quiz and you just might win a $10 [#804040]HOOKED[/#804040] Fishing Tackle Gift Certificate. One week left til we anounce the winner.[/size][/font]
[signature]
off to the races

1:pontoon v-boat donut

2Confusedwimmfins

3:neoprene

4:a float tubers distance cast

5:E

6:E

7: speed and mobitily

8:B,H

9:B

10:E #150
[signature]
[cool]C'MON FELLOW FLOTATION FISHERFOLK! So far there are two entries with 9.5 right answers. No perfect scores.

A couple of folks have tried to get too explanatory in their answers. Not necessary. If I ask for one word...or two words...that's all that's required.

That being said, I am considering awarding some style points for a couple of the answers...and deducting for a couple of others.

Got an extra point question for everyone. WHAT WAS THE LARGEST FISH, OF ANY SPECIES, EVER LANDED FROM A FLOAT TUBE?

TubeDude?
[signature]