Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
walleye in bear river?
on the bigfishtackle home page there is a picture of a gal holding 2 walleye caught in the bear river. where are there walleye in the bear river?
[signature]
i know for a fact they are below onedia damn in idaho. i have caught one on a fly rod and Trout_Slayer on worms. i would also assume trappers bridge
[signature]
It says utah?
[signature]
I have not personally caught any but have heard of people catching them below cutler early in the year.
[signature]
I'm the Walleye queen guys! Yes I'm in Utah on the Bear river[Wink]!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
there are plenty of walleye in the bear, they run up to the narrows and spawn in the spring, they fish for them in the benson marina, by the bridge that narrows the water, ppl also catch them while they cat fish. As for the guy who says made the smart comment about the narrows, if they are in the narrows they would be below? After all thats were they came from.
[signature]
AND....right on down to Willard bay! Narrows is pretty fun to fish for them too! Benson Marina is over rated as far as good fishing! Too many people, snag and yellow belly haven![Smile] Has anyone been up on the ice at the Narrows this season? Haven't been able to get up there yet!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
i have always wanted to go out on the ice and give it a try but i have never done it, I know they stop plowing there at the service entrance for the utah power workers and the back side they stop just past the hot pots, so i think you would have a bit of a walk either way.
[signature]
I caught a couple small ones below cutler years ago. It took me a minute to figure out what they were. Have fished Bensen for years and never caught one there.
[signature]
I copied and pasted a report of one I caught back on 6/16/06. It is still the biggest I have ever caught.

Three of us hit the Bear at about 7:30 and launched at the Corrine access. Headed downriver and and started throwing carp meat, chub meat and nightcrawlers. We caught lots of small cats under 10 inches and ended up only taking home two that were about 14" a piece. Just slow for the larger kitties. Although just after 12:00 a.m. I set the hook on a larger fish on carpmeat. It felt pretty good and took a little drag on the first run. I when I finally got it up to the surface my jaw dropped, along with the other two in the boat. It turned out to be a 26" walleye that tipped the scales at just over 6 lbs. I was stunned. In all the years we have fished the river, none of us have caught a walleye. I know they are caught periodically out of Cutler, but Corrine is a long way down the river from Cutler. Has anyone else heard of people catching walleye out of the Bear?

As you can see, I asked the same question almost 3 years ago. The DWR did a shock survey I think in 2007 from Cutler dam downstream. They found a good, self sustaining population of walleye in the upper section closer to Cutler dam. I just don't think anyone targets them.
[signature]
I catch alot of biggies up and down that river. Those in my pic were only 21 and 23 inches about 5 llbs. My personal biggest was 31" 12llb caught in Oct. and yes she was released. The smaller ones I eat YUMMY YUMMY! Kitty Kats are another favorite to fish for.
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
I live next to the bear river in benson and fish it a lot, there is walleye in there, I have only caught two in the last two years while fishing for cats, I don't know how to target them but have tried several things with no success. I caught them just using nighecrawlers.
[signature]
The good ol' trusty! I'll bet you caught them while reeling in.[Wink] HINT HINT! Gotta couple months when the kitty's wake up gotta love spring time fishin for them!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]