Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers just want to play
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Hit Willard this evening with Fish-N-Fool. Now is the time to put in your journals that the wipers are on. FNF and I hit the water at about 5:30 and trolled a lot of area through out the evening. Water temps were about 71 degrees. His fish finder was showing tons of fish along the east side near the feed lot. But we didn't get any hits till we left that area and headed out to deeper water. The we each picked up two small wipers. Later on down north of the light poll, I landed a very nice 4.75 pounder ... fought very hard for a long time when it got next to the boat. Then FNF picked up a 3.5 pounder. That was it till we got up around the island and we both lost several hits. Caught the big one on a Strike King pearl white diamond shad lipless crank bait. The little ones came in on small Walleye divers. And FNF's large one came in on a gray back white belly bleeding shad lipless rattle trap crank bait.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Decided to try out the new fish cleaning station. OH ... MY ........ GAD those mosquitoes were BAD!!!!! My advise: use rubber gloves to protect you from the fish stink AND the mosquitoes, 99 cent head nets from Smith and Eddies, and a long sleeve shirt. Man, if the West Nile virus is in Utah, I've got it![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]While at the fish cleaning station cleaning my 2 fish, a guy came up with 10! He and his partner had caught them all since 6:30 PM. Said he had 2 break lines when they hit! They had fished back and forth in front of the feed lot using white grubs and chartreuse grubs. I think I'll give that a try Thursday night. When FNF and I passed through that area, we seen tons of fish on the finder. In fact, we thought that maybe the finder was not acting right. Why didn't we catch any there? Beats me ... unless it's because we were pulling crank bait rather than grubs.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man the evening was nice ... comfortable temps, slight breeze, sun going down over the mountains, and fish at the end of the line. Not to mention, FNF was a very enjoyable fishing partner and I hope others get a chance to enjoy some time on the water with him. Tonight was a first for him but that's a story I'll let him write about.[/size][/font]
[signature]
You meant to say "Wiper just want to have more fun"! (A parody to Cyndi Lauper's "Girls just want to have more fun")

Sounds like you had a blast! Don't you love it when they nearly take the pole out of your hand when they hit?

I noticed the buggers in the air, when we were out there chasing Jason and myself out to the water and stayed with us like a black cloud most of the day.
[signature]
Another good report, thanks Old_Coot. I'm glad to hear you guys got into a few and you sure covered the area. Don't you hate it when you see all those fish on the finder but they don't bite. At least the catching is improving, good luck on thursday. WH2
[signature]
Great report Old Coot. Sounds like the bigger wipers are being caught more often. I guess you didn't get any walleyes?
[signature]
Nice report Old_Coot. How fast were you trolling? This might be a stupid question, but did you vary your trolling speed? I know in the past, sometimes if you increase the speed you can get them to respond, when they wouldn't at a lower speed. Did the guys with grubs say how fast they were trolling? Thanks.
[signature]
Last night was a blast! Old_Coot finally broke the Willard curse that was on my boat. I caught my first Wiper ever!! Oh man those fish are incredible, man are they powerful fish, Coot was a blast to fish with, when are we going to hit the water again? I had Wiper dreams all night long.

I don't know if my fish was quite as big as coot says it was, it seems like it was about half as big as Coots monster, but it was still fun to catch, to bad someone forgot the camera Smile

A big thanks to Old_Coot for going out and shownig me how it's done and for breaking the Willard curse, and thanks to Maddog at Hooked for selling me the right lures and happily taking my money, whenever you want to go Maddog or Coot let me know.

anybody want to go wiper fishing? I know I am going to be spending ALOT more time on Willard.
[signature]
well, i have yet to catch a wiper, mabye it will happen soon.
[signature]
right on old_coot thats what we like to here i cant wait to here about thursdays report on the fishing see you tonight at the muskey class (wando)
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Killer bee,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Actually we did try varying our speed but 90% of the time we were around 3.3 - 3.8 mph. (per GPS).[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]And yes, I did ask the guy at the fish cleaning station how fast he trolled. He just said "A pretty good clip". Which does go along with what you suggest.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]It's looking like this will be a 4-day Willard Bay week for me. Mrs. Coot has given me a kitchen pass to fish three more days out there this week! But she said she had some papers for me to sign after my last trip. But she won't tell me what they are. She says it's a surprise.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][unsure][/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Old_Coot. Good luck next time you head out. Take the camera when you go!
[signature]
did any of the lures I hooked you up with at hooked fishing tackle work for you?
Trent
[signature]
I caught my biggest one on the large bleeding shad rap, and one on the wally diver, I didn't try the laser producer or the other one you told me to try, but I do plan on trying them this weekend.
[signature]
im not much of a troller but the wipers i caught didnt seem to care about speed. it was depth that seemed to matter that night. i noticed if it wasnt the exact depth on the water table i had no bites. this is hard from a tube but i figured it out. when they were in the rocks well it didnt matter then.
[signature]