Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Line for Bassin'
What (in your opinion) is the best fishing line for bass fishing? Its time to buy new line for all my reels, so I got 3 bass setups to reline. I've seen some stuff for the Berkely 100% Fluorocarbon Professional Grade line, and been thinking about trying that. I want something that casts smooth and long, but of course, needs to be real strong. I've been using Trilene XL smooth cast, and its done well, but if there's a better line, I want to get that.
[signature]
That seems to be the age old question. I use braided lines like Fireline on most of my rods, but some will have florocarbon like my dropshot rod and topwater rods. You can get away with braided when fishing near weed beds or texas rigging. Brand names everyone has a favorite. I like p-line and fireline.
[signature]
For braid I love Stren Super Braid. For everything else I use Bass Pro Shops 17# Floro
[signature]
Simp. If you're used to Berkley XL then go with Sufix Siege or Elite (Red lable). Flourocarbon is great for plastics on casting gear, braid is good for pulling frogs though cover, and mono/copolymer is good for topwater. Remember, flourocarbopn and P-Line sink...not so good for topwater baits. To keep your three bass rods versitile I would stick with a copolymer such as Yozuri Hybrid, or Sufix Siege, which is a monofilament.

I use Sufix on all my rods except for my carolina rig rod, which as 65lb Power Pro braid.

HockeyMan
[signature]
I'll look into those. Its starting to warm up here, the next couple of weeks are looking like the 50s is the lowest it will be, so I'm gonna get my rods respooled and ready to go. This year I'm not gonna use worms, save for last resort. I have been catching on crankbaits, and I'm gonna try spinnerbaits, so I'm gonna use those primarily. If the fish aren't hitting those, I'll resort to worms.

I'm going to lookat the Sufix lines, and I'll look at some braids, and monos and flouros and stuff, and hopefully make the right decision as far as poundage and such. Hopefully I just catch a lot of fish this year.
[signature]
If you want line that will never break, use braided line.
my favorite is fireline.
My hooks bend and come unstuck before i ever break the line.
[signature]
Fireline...I got it. I'll pay special attention to it when I look. But how does it cast?
[signature]
Spinning rods-Suffix Seige Elite, dropshot P-Line.
Baitcasting, Berkey Maxx and Seige.
I only have one rod rigged with braid and I don't use it very often but I like the teflon coated Spiderwire.
[signature]
I think it casts great. Even with the line being 20 to 30 pounds the diameter of the line is still pretty small.
I know on spinning reels you don't want to have to much spooled on to over do it as well as baitcasting. With my experience when there has been to much on the reel that is when you'll get backlashes.
But gaurenteed, you don't lose fish unless you find a pike to bite through the line.
[signature]
I'm taking notes here. If I decided on a braid, what lb line should I get? right now I have 12lb on. but I was thinking about moving up to maybe 14. I think as the spring progresses the bass in my girl's pond will definitely get bigger (I hope) and when I fish at the river, I have no idea how big they are, I've never caught a largemouth at the river.

I'll probably look into that fluorocarbon for my catfish poles, unless a better suggestion for those comes up, but i digress...
[signature]
I've caught 7lb trout and 36" pike on 8lb fireline. I use 20lb for salt water. It doesn't seem to work well on baitcasters though. Plus you can respool it to another reel and get another year out of it.
[signature]
I'll probably stick with the Berkly smooth cast XL on my baitcast. I'm doin ok with it and don't want to mess myself up even more haha. I use the spinners more though, so it'll be alright.
[signature]
I like braided in the lakes but for the rivers i always like a floracarbon. Braided seems to get nicked up alot more than the carbon does when your bouncing on rocks and other things. Also if your fishing when its cold and making ice in your eyelets braided holds alot of moisture and will freeze in your spool.
[signature]
That's a good point...I don't fish in the cold, but I fish and then that night it gets cold...so I should probably hold off on the braided...
[signature]
Well I started with 20 then moved up to 30 but that's because I am always fishing heavy cover and stuff so some of the time i pull the whole tree out haha.
But if you put on some 14 pound fireline on you will have great casting and strength. You cant bite that stuff with your teeth and sometimes have a hard time cutting it.
Once I tried braid I've never bought anything else unless it was needed.
[signature]
I know the tree thing...fishing at night last summer with my girlfriend. thought we had a catfish, but the line seemed like it was stuck...so we kept pulling, because it was 20lb line, so we could. we gradually got some movement towards us. we thought we had a turtle or something....it got closer, it looked like a snake on top of the water. My girlfriend was freakin out at this point because she's scared to death of snakes. I calmed her down and we kept pulling. it was a HUGE tree branch. this branch was bigger than me, and I'm 6'2½". So we pulled it up onto our little pier and started untangling line, and low and behold, there was indeed a catfish on the line. Oooooooooooh......good times, good times...
[signature]
The braided line stuff is bringing back memories for me. The late Russ Izor treated me to "some new stuff from Japan ". It was strange feeling, different than Dacron, and slippery.For awhile we all tied a figure 8 knot at the tag end of our line and then tied an improved clinch knot and let the Fig. 8 knot slip down and jam into the clinch knot. Follow that? When wet, it would cut you to the bone. I was using some on my jigstick, throwing surface iron and live sardines. I noticed that if I was hooked up and I let the line slip a little I could cut anybodys line who crossed me. Same for kelp. What an asset!. I had some on my Flippin stick and I could lift small trees right off the bottom. They looked like Chrismas trees they were so full of snagged lures. What a miracle! Fantastic Stuff... Why doesn't everybody use it?Its kind of a hassle. A backlsh with braid is murder. Never get it out. It slides down into itself when tension is applied so it casts kind of sticky as the line reaches spots when it has stuck. It floats. It is so light that the wind really affects it. Knots have improved since the advent of the superlines, but you really have to like to tie knots when you spool the stuff up. It is advised to first wind on three feet or so of mono then tie your favorite knot to the braid then do the same thing on the other side if you want to fish a leader. Are you with me? All of this is knot hard so to say and it has its benifits. The floating superline is easy to see for Flipping and almost unbreakable. I stopped using any leader long ago when I use braid and don't see any difference in the amount of strikes I get. It is so sensitive that you have to let them eat it or your hooksets will result in lips instead of whole fish.
Ok, what lines do I like? I've been fishing Spiderwire XXX Monofiliment in 6 , 10, 15 pound test. Very soft with outstanding knot strength.Fishes very well and lasts a long time. I use 17 pound Vanish on my live bait rod. A little wiry but cheap for flouro and has worked well on some big fish. Twenty on up to straight 100 :Triline Big game. Cheap, Durable and fishes well in open water. Thirty pound Spiderwire braid.Just on my Innerflow Flippin stick. Stuff slides down the middle of my weird Rod with no guides. Got the rod for thrusting a jig back into holes in the reeds we were flipping. Can't break it with a rod, I still use it because I got a five pound spool of it, because of my story on how the stuff saved my life one time. But, that's another story....
[signature]
Flourocarbon sinks, so use this with lures where you want to get better depth. Flourocarbon also has less stretch and is less visible in the water than monofilament, but monofilament doesn't sink.. so use monofilament with topwater lures and lures you want to suspend underwater without pulling the nose of the bait down. Flourocarbon is also usually preferred with a spinning set up. You can check out profishingresearch rankings of pro preferred line to get more information on brands and line sizes favored by pros. This is my site so I hope it's ok to let you know about it.
[signature]
What line?? That depends on what lure you are using and what rod...

I use 5 kinds of line from braids to mono and 5 pound tests...

And what type of cover you are working...

Top water I like mono, it floats...

Jigs I like braid...

Jerk baits I like floral carbon...

And worms and sink-o type baits I like floral carbon as well...
[signature]