Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is to much?

[cool] Well it's that time of the year when there is more talking and thinking about fishing, than there is actual fishing. With that being said I'd like to see what you BFT'ers think. I have a love hate relationship with this forum, I love to read up and see how the fishing is, I also like to hear all of the fish stories, but I admitt I hate to see people posting specific details about the exact places, techiques, and baits that they used. I think that this forum and others like it have and will lead some great fisheries down the path of destruction. Many anglers have spent years learning certain bodies of water and techniques, just to see it posted on the internet. I'm not against helping a guy catch more fish, but how much information is too much?
[signature]
I don't think there can be too much information. I told several dozen people how to fish pineview for crappies and most of them still couldn't cash in. It is the individual fisherman that catches fish, not just areas and techniques. Some bodies of water can't handle the pressure so it is best to not post at all on them. I could have given my rod to someone right after catching a fish and they could spend hours trying to catch one with no luck.[Wink]
[signature]
Beating a dead horse here. Your asking for an opinion, and , well, opinions are like butt holes, every one has one, most of them stink.

If some one wants to post the exact location, and all the details, they will see soon enough what that causes. If it is a small spot, it will be wiped out and they will be sorry they ever posted. Many will elude to an area, but disclose the details only by PM.

When someone posts that they fished Rock Cliff arm, that is a big piece of water and will not be impacted at all. Same with the Jordon river, 32 miles long it is, the lower provo is 10, mid at least 6 miles.

People will post what they want, as they should.
[signature]
LOL! You make it sound like Utah's waters were untouched before the existence of this site. Any angler who knows what they are doing knows the hot spots and where to go and when and what to use. This site is a community of people who like to fish and share their stories and reports. If you don't like that perhaps you should find another hobby.
In my own opinion, You can't have you're cake and eat too.
A path of destruction??? Our economy is going down the toilet, unemployment is becoming an everyday thing, terrorism, etc....and you're worried about someone fishing in your spot? I have been doing plenty of fishing, I think you may need to find something to do.
[signature]
I agree with Lunkerhunter2 . 90% of the fish live in 10% of the lake . 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish . I was out on Trudes bay in Island Park . There were 8 boats fishing . The game wardon check all of them before he got to my boat . He asked how we were doing and I told him we were doing OK . He asked to check our fish so I took my cooler off the swim platform and handed it to him . You should have seen his eyes when he opened it . Me and my wife had 8 fish and the smallest one was 4 pounds , He told us we had caught more fish than all the other boats put together . We didn't tell him about all the ones we had put back that day . Curt G.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]So, completely hypothetical, you have a stretch on the Weber River that you have fished since you were 16 years old and able to drive a car. You seldom see anglers on this particular stretch and on this stretch you have a certain spot that always produces a lot great big browns, you also found out years earlier that if you threw a purple frog into that hole you were almost guaranteed to catch a least 10 fish including a couple of 4-5 ponders. Well one day, while fishing a couple of guys walk up and watch you catch several nice fish on that purple frog, (a lure that nobody else has ever even thought about using before). No problem until 3 days later when you read on a forum that these two guys caught 5 fish over 4 pounds, they have included photos and details to the exact spot that you have fished for 15 years, and they also have posted a picture of a purple frog that they used. Wouldn’t that make you sick to your stomach? Just Wondering….[/font]
[signature]

I'm not complaing, just wondering....
[signature]
Not really. I will just look for a new spot. There are sooo many untouched pieces of productive water in this state you you should never get bored exploring. Like i said before, you have to know how to catch the fish before you can catch them.[Wink]
BTW, did that story happen to you?[crazy]
[signature]
Well, if you were not smart enough to break off that secret lure and move to a different spot instead of standing there in front of them catching several huge fish and letting them see your lure, that's your fault.

I've done this, when in a small spot.

I've also handed out the so called "purple frog" to other fishermen when in an area that can take the pressure or fishing for species that are in abundunce.
[signature]

No, not exactly, but there are a few smaller bodies of water i've fished for years with out seeing any other people. It just seems tht over the last couple of years word has gotten out, there are fewer fish, fishing garbage all over the ground, and people every time I go. I just think that before the internet, someone would let the cat out of the bag at their local tackle shop. Word did spread by mouth, but not nearly as fast as it does now days. Now in a matter of seconds, thousands of people can know about a "hot spot", and overnight, it may never be the same.
[signature]
"There are sooo many untouched pieces of productive water in this state you should never get bored exploring."

I don't know Brody. The remaining land is being bought up left and right and the fisherman have less and less areas to fish. Just seems like to me that there is more private property and now with this new bill that came out, it gives us less opportunities than ever before.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.
[signature]
You must be talking about me.[crazy]
[signature]
Ya I understand what you are saying ,but I also agree with LH2. But I somtimes wish people wouldnt pry. I dont mind kissing and telling I am just not gonna tell ya what happened in the back seat. I think that if a particular spot is hot it should be up to the indvidual to use his own skills and know how to do well, or improve. so somtimes (whether it be right or wrong I just dont respond to some questions) I also try not to pump others for too much info. Just another of those stinky opinions. There are no secret spots in the state!!
[signature]
I'm with Lunkehunter2 on this one all the way.
later chuck
[signature]
Hey, you guys caught a few and that other guy over on CP got right after it after i showed him how. Remember?[laugh]
No Pete, i am talking about the people that i gave GPS cords to(pretty much). They fished the same exact holes i drilled and came up empty. My point is that just because someone hears that the narrows is hot for crappie it doesn't mean they are going to go catch them. The same holds true for any of the other lakes around here. How many times have you got a hot tip only to get skunked using the same exact things and fishing the exact same way as your hot tip? I have several times.[Wink]
[signature]
Stacy I just fired you a PM,
[signature]
I'm just funning ya, I do catch a fish once in awhile[:p]
[signature]

Let's just try to enjoy ourselfs out there fishing and be sure that there is fish for our future generations . What that means is being current with the proclamation and picking up trash and not making it hard on someone just because they want to catch a fish just as bad as you do .I think it's a real neat feeling to teach someone how to catch a fish or two . [Smile]
[signature]
".I think it's a real neat feeling to help someone out and let them how how to catch a fish ."
[#00bf00]Absolutely! That is why i try and give as much info as possible. Some times it is just in a pm and others it is right there for everyone to see. I also agree that more people need to pick up garbage when they are fishing, and understand the rules and regulations fully. Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity.[Wink][Wink][/#00bf00]
[signature]
I agree with LH2,[Wink]
That is what this forum is about is helping others and it is up to the person on what they say and how much they say,
But you have to remember that what one person dose one time don't mean it is going to work for the next person, or even the next time,
I've told people how to fish when, where, how, with what,
Here is a good example,
Capt. Jim up at the gorge takes costumer out every day
shows them how, where, they catch big Macks,
Then they go up on there own and can't catch a fish,
But if they use what Capt. Jim has showed them and they work at it long enough and then they learn they start to catch fish,
I take people and friends out trolling and we catch fish, they see how I do it but when they go out on there own they don't catch fish or as big of fish,
It is all in putting in the time learning the water, learning the fish that are fishing for, then you have the weather, the moon phase, You even have the time of day, then you have the color for the time of day, on and on.
So just telling someone how to, doesn't mean a lot.
Anything in life takes time and more time to learn, but to be real good you have to master it, and that is not done just by telling someone where and how!!!!!
Plus that is part of the fun is the teaching and the learning , Purple frog, pink elephant, or just a old brown worm, that doesn't mater
Just put your time in studying and fishing and you will learn that there is more to it than you ever thought possibly .
Good luck every one and lets have a great year of fishing
and if you need to know anything just ask anyone for help and they will help, because we are fisherman. that is what it is all about right [Wink]
[signature]