Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A river runs through it
If a stream or river runs through private land area, is the stream also private? My question is, can a person fish a stream (staying in the stream) as long as the person never goes on private land. For example the weber river, ogden river, blacksmith fork, logan river, provo river, alot of these rivers go through private land, Any input would be wounderful. THANKS [laugh]
[signature]
if i understood the hb 187 bill, it is going to depend on what streem you are on. But that thing is so difficult to read. i am sure others understood it a bit better.
[signature]
Kiss your river fishing goodbye.[:/]
[signature]
Coach- there are many threads going on right now on many of the fishing sites dealing with this topic- read and bone up on it. It will affect you and your children.
[signature]
[quote FishNCoach]If a stream or river runs through private land area, is the stream also private?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]NO![/size][/#800000][/font]

[quote FishNCoach]My question is, can a person fish a stream (staying in the stream) as long as the person never goes on private land.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]YES![/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]A Utah Supreme Court decision last year clarified that and as a result a bill (HB 187) has been introduced in the Utah House this year to restrict that RIGHT of access. But as it stands right now, you have a RIGHT to use that water for recreation. However, you DO NOT have any RIGHT to tresspass on private property to gain access to the water without permission of the land owner.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks dubob, and others, I guess I need to check and see what stream is affected by the law's, [fishin] I was hoping that it was standard with all stream or rivers in Utah.
[signature]
No Bill has been passed yet and untill they do you and the rest of us have the right and privelage to fish the waters of this state. You need to ensure where you access that it is deemed public and then yet respect the property that you are fishing, or recreating (sp) on. I have a feeling many landowners aren't aware of the Supreme Court decision so i carry a copy in my fish vest. I have yet to need to pull it out but am not going to take any crap about fishing our waters either. WE do need to watch HB187 though it is focusing on taking our waters away....Everyone stay focused on it and we can keep our waters ours. Until something legally chanesgo fish that stream and knock the @#$#@ out of them...LOL

Todd
[signature]
WE do need to watch HB187 though it is focusing on taking our waters

Where can I find this,[crazy] and the laws about this? [:/]
All I want to do is fish the streams below and above were I park my trailer (Timp and Black Smith fork) but some of the public owners say stay off, or it is posted as such, with a no trespassing (sp) sign. [fishin]
[signature]