Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine
So I have a question I've always wondered about. What does it take to convert a car engine to fit a boat? For example, if I had a boat with the common 350 that blew the motor, what would it take to use a 350 out of a car/truck in that boat? I'm assuming the block is the same, but I have heard other things about 'engineering' the motor for marine applications.
[signature]
I have heard that it is a nightmare to do it. Somebody else probably has done or tried it though.
[signature]
Good question?? I would assume that if they were both chevy small blocks that everything should bolt up the same? hope I never have to find out for myself!!

Let us know if you find out or mabey someone with a few more marbles will chime in!
[signature]
I'm just curious mostly. There have been a number of boats out there with blown engines and my brother has a limo with a recently rebuilt 350 that is just sitting there......unless you know of someone that wants to buy a limo.....
[signature]
My Lund has the 4.3 Liter V6 and last year I sucked a value when I forgot to put a winterizing water plug back into one of the exhaust manifolds. I torn the motor down and removed intake manifold and one head.

That's when I learned the 4.3 Liter V6 is the SAME as a chev 350 but has two less cylinders.

The BIG difference is the exhaust manifolds - those things must weigh 40 pound each. The only difference in parts is the exhaust manifold gaskets - which were a little more beafy in the marine application.

Other differences is the starter which is a really the same but they say the starter is built for marine applications. In other words it was about $25 more than a standard starter - I couldn't see any real difference.

As far as where the motor hooked to the outdrive I have no idea what is envolved there.

One thing that I was told is that a marine motor is like your pulling a large load up Parley's at full throttle.

Good Luck
[signature]
One more thing is my oil drip stick - when the drip stick is removed you can hook a oil pump onto it and suck all the oil from your pan without using a drain plug -- if you do install your own motor modify your drain plug before putting in your motor - I've seem a couple different way to do it -- one by having a drain value with a hose hooked on that you can stick out the drain plug in the transmon to change your oil.
[signature]
[quote Lundman].

Other differences is the starter which is a really the same but they say the starter is built for marine applications. In other words it was about $25 more than a standard starter - I couldn't see any real difference.

[/quote]

I had a boat mechanic get really excited when he found our that my V6 had a regular auto starter on it (The owner before me had put it on). He said that the starter on boats is sealed so that a stray spark can not light fumes that could possibly accumulate around an engine on a boat. I would pay the extra $25 and not take any chances.
[signature]