Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strike res. boat question
i have a 14 foot aluminum boat, and i was wondering if it would be ok for fishing on top of cj strike. i have heard horror stories about people anchoring and the under current pulling their boat under in just a few seconds. i never fished up there so i don't know about the under current. i want to do some sturgeon fishing up there. any word of advice or things to be cautious about will be highly apreciated.
thanks
[signature]
I am not exactly sure what you mean by fishing "on top of C.J. Strike". (Always better to be fishing on top of any body of water compared to on the bottom!!) I have heard of lots of stories about wind storms on C.J., but never any undercurrents. C.J. is like lots of bodies of water in Idaho; when the wind gets howling, stay off. And, there is frequently wind in the Snake River canyons. There are also plenty of days when it is mirror calm. Just watch the weather reports, and wind predictions for Mt. Home and other nearby towns. You certainly don't have to go far from the Air Force ramp to get into bass, crappie, perch, trout, and bluegills. You mentioned sturgeon fishing. Are you talking about sturgeon in the reservoir, or below the spillway--they can be found in both locations. The sturgeon fishing in the res. is in the upper region of the res. Hope this helps. Mike
[signature]
I took my 14' Gregor up there last year with no problems. I have heard about the wind but nothing about the undercurrents. That seems a bit on the edge of 'reservoir legend'. Be smart and wear your PFD and you'll be fine.

We did well early morning on topwater. It was like a circus. Most of the fish were around 12" but they were fun. We used little poppers and I used a Zara Puppy and did a little 'walk the dog'. They'll do flips for those. We later switched to tubes and jigs and caught more smallmouth. We managed a perch and a crappie, too.

The river below Strike is where the action is... By Grandview.

Enjoy.
[signature]
You take your 14 ft boat out on strike & fish out of it just like you would any other impoundment on the snake river and have a great time. I have fished it for years & have lived in Southwest Idaho all my life. I have never heard of an incident like you describe.

While there are mostly smallmouth bass there, I caught the biggest Largemouth bass of my life on CJ Strike (8 lbs on the money[Smile]) and had my best sturgeon day there as well!! (7 sturgeon brought to the boat & released[cool])

Yes the weather can get bad there just like anyplace but no worse that anywhere else in Idaho.

Go have fun!
[signature]
Ok thanks for the info! i am planning on heading out there this week end for some sturgeon on the main reservoir. hopefully i can get some! below the power plant is fun for sturgeon but i am ready for some change. thanks again every one!
[signature]
you be sure to have someone video tape when you anchor up cause if that urban legand is true. THAT IS SOMETHING I HAVE GOTTA SEE.[sly]
[signature]
I've heard of people below the dam past the bridge running into problems when anchored and the water rises (which it can do very fast). I've put in below the dam and gone downstream towards Grandview only to return and not be able to load the boat after the water went down. There isn't alot of current nor drastic changes in water level above the dam.

Above the dam there are days a 14 ft boat would be sketchy, but as stated, check the weather reports for wind. Y ou can put in at Cove Arm or Loveridge Bridge (you can access both from HWY 51 south of Mtn. Home)and be to a couple of sturgeon holes rather quickly.
[signature]
I spent alot of time on CJ with my little 12ft for years-like others have said, watch the wind! Another piece of advise not offered yet-watch out for bass boats in a tourny! They bounced me around alot if I was in their way! (not bad mouthing them-just my little boat didn't handle the wakes very well from 20 boats running around at plane! [:/]
[signature]