Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun at the Provo
Went yesterday from 11a to sundown in the lower canyon and the fish were cooperating everywhere I tried, even around the parks where there were tons of people making alot of racket and kids batting rocks into the water with sticks. Even had a thirty minute stretch of strikes on every drift. Had alot of jumpers and the fish were feisty, though the take was usually light and i'd say that I lost almost half of the forty or so fish I tangled with because they were barely hooked. So far as missed strikes go, i'd rather not tell on myself.[crazy] Got too impatient trying to get a hook back in the water without retying and cost myself a large brownie that had to be at least 23 inches. Remember, deep breath, count to ten, retie. If you take a trip to the Provo this week make sure you're packing 18 to 20 zebras with you.[Wink]
[signature]
Sounds like you were on the right stretch. A good friend/my boss/ guide was on the middle and said it was slow as a snail!.
[signature]
Hey there Goddess. I didn't feel like contending for a spot up the canyon so I fished from Canyon View down to the LDS picture studio and caught fish everywhere I went. I don't know if it is because the fish aren't getting as much pressure, because the fish are more active because of the warm weather at the lower altitude, or both. I was drifting a size 18 zebra midge on light fluorocarbon with 2 or 3 No. 5 shot about 7 inches below the fly to keep the line tight so I could see the strikes better.
A few BWO's were getting looks but not enough for me to switch up. I think that next weekend the BWO hatch is gonna be really big from 2p-5p if this warm weather keeps up. It would be nice to have a little surface action.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up. Funny how the same river can be so different, but it does run along way. I know there are flies that work great on the lower, but forget it on the middle.
[signature]