Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Ice Conditions/Open Water
I was wondering if anybody has been by Mantua lately, and if so if there is any open water. I'm hoping with this warm weather and wind that it will open up by next week when I have spring break and may actually have a chance to fish. I'd love to get the tube out there.
[signature]
I drove past on my way back from fishing the Oneida Narrows on Sunday and it was still capped. There was quite a few people out fishing also, maybe 40 people!!! I dont know much about how long it takes for the ice to break up, but like you mentioned, you would think with the nice weather and wind it shouldnt be too long. My guess for this weekend is that you WONT be able to launch a tube, but again I am not an ICE expert. One other thing, I noticed once you get to Mantua and all through the Cache Valley it is a good 12-21 degree's cooler, like it always is, but that may affect the ice melting too!!! Just a thought!
TS
[signature]
I was on Mantua last weekend and the ice is about 16" to 18" thick. It is still getting down between 5 degrees and 20 degrees at night. I am guessing that there will be ice on it till the end of the month. That is my guess.
[signature]
Timberhall said it right. The ice is plenty thick up there right now. Usually Mantua is one of the last places to thaw, and I'm sure there will be at least another few weeks of ice fishing at that lake.

Take a power auger.
[signature]
Darn, oh well, the forecast for next weeks looks pretty crappy anyhow. Time to stay indoors and tye flies for when things finally stay warm.
[signature]