Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Flies at Springfield
Wow, i posted a couple questions and everyone has been awesome responding i have been extremely impressed. hopefully i will have a report to post soon but first i need to ask one more question. i want to hit springfield up from shore and was wondering what flies i should try there. i haven't done much fly fishing in my life so any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks again! Landon
[signature]
This time of year I like to use mohair leeches in brown an black. Also midge pupa fished in the surface film works when it's warm enough for a midge hatch.
[signature]
midge pupa! i have seen some big big fish come off that body of water on midge pupa
[signature]
Do any of you fish down there with lures? The single barbless hook variety?

[url "http://idahofishingnotebook.net"]Read My Idaho Fishing Blog[/url]

[signature]
I am going to say to try a Mighty Mouse or a Chironomid. I would try about 5' deep as that lake is so darn shallow.
I would go to that broke down dock at the end of that dirt road. Tie a Chironomid at 5' and a Mighty mouse at 3' and set an indicator. Roll it out and wait.
[signature]
you can give it a nice little twitch every once and a while too
[signature]
can you explain or show me that set up i am a little Confused on how you would do that thanks landon
[signature]
Sure. Take a 9' or 7 1/2' leader. Now on the end I usually tie a foot of tippet as it makes the leaders last longer. Everytime you add or change a fly you loose a little tippet. When you get to the knot, you add more tippet. That is why I say it makes the leader last longer.

Now back to this situation. I would go with a 7' or 7 1/2' leader, however they come. Brand is your choice.
Now on the fly end of the leader, you are going to attach tippet.

The Shoe lace is the LEADER, the white string is tippet. You will want a piece of tippet at least 20" long.

[Image: IMG_0893.jpg]

Connect the tippet to the leader with a DOUBLE SURGEON'S KNOT, "BUT" make the tag end of the tippet at least six inches long.

[Image: IMG_0895.jpg]

CLIP the LEADER TAG only, not the tippet. You will have a 6" piece of tippet sticking up the other direction and at least a 12" piece of tippet following the line of the leader:

[Image: IMG_0898.jpg]

This is where I attach the flies, I prefer one with a tungsten bead on the deepest end, but a "BB" size split shot about 4" to 6" up from the deepest fly works also.

[Image: IMG_0901.jpg]

Like I said, I know this lake well and it is shallow, but from that dock or actually the dock by the picnic area also, I would set the indicator about five feet up from BOTTOM fly.

Hope this makes sense.
[signature]
There are no fish in there none nadda the birds ate them
[signature]
I agree they all got out and followed the road to mc tucker ponds springfield is empty Smile
[signature]
FG- good explanation and visual- that helps a lot of people out.
[signature]
I fished it today. A little slow, but I did catch 4 little 6-8" trout on some copper johns and chiromids. I did hook 3 nice size trout on a beadhead peacock leech, but as usual, the barbless hooks and me do not get along so well. For the first day out this year it was ok. Atleast I did not get skunked.
[signature]
I plan on going there tomorrow. I'll post a report if I am able to make it. Thanks for the report.
[signature]