Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to fly fishing. Kinda
Well its been many yrs now since i picked up my fly rod. Its one that i picked up at a yard sale and just fished.. With very little luck.. Its a South bend 8' commando rod.. Aw quit laughing now !!
Balanced for # 7 line.. The reel is a Pflueger medalist.. The rod feels like a bat compared to the rods the i've seen at some sporting goods store.. My question is. ( one of many i will be asking in this forum ) What size rod works well for the rivers in this area ?? Ogden,weber,logen and provo..
Next is line.. Well i'll ask this in a new post.. There are many Questions on this matter..
Thanks
P.S I dont want to break the bank on a new rod..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
I think you would do well with a 9ft, 5wt rod. Pretty versitle.
Rod is kinda of a personal preference. Sage launch goes for around 200 or so. Others go for more. The Scientific Angler kit comes with some line, flies for around 80 bucks. This rod has some of the same qualties as the more expensive rods., such as 10 guides,descent reel seats, and a reel that is ok. As far as line goes,get the best you can afford. The line is more important than a very expensive reel. I like the Scientific Anglers Sharkskin 5wt gpx floating. It goes for around 100 bucks.
I have all I have talked about here. If you would like to try these before you buy, we can work something out. [Smile][Smile]
pa
[signature]
I am one that believes the LINE is the most important thing....don't skimp on the line. Rio Selective Trout II is a wonderful line and stays soft even in the cold.
I prefer WF but allot like the DT so that will be up to you.
With the waters you mention and the size of fish that are being taken out of the Weber, I would say a 5 weight in an 8'6" or a 9'. It is a great all around rod.
Now if you were to do Strawberry Res. a 5 could work but I would recommend a 6.[Wink]
[signature]
Id say for most of Utah a 8' 6" or 9' foot 4 to 6 weight rod will cover it. I use a like a 8' 6" 5 weight for most utah streams. Feel I get better accuracy with a 8' 6.

Like FG mentioned line is a very important dont skimp
I prefer the Cortland brand 444 or 555 Rio is great also Of course you got the SA Sharskin line Ive only casted it a few times on grass and from the reviews it suppose to be the best out there. But for the price I still like Cortland.

If you want send me a pm I'll send you a link were you can get Cortlands 444SL or 555 Dynatip FL 5wt for 20 to 30 bucks. I dont advertise for these guys or Id post it in the forum [cool]
[signature]
I agree with all the above mentioned. I use the SA fly line that is mentioned and I love it. I don't own the RIO but I have used it (it is on a friend's reel) and I love it also. Like what was said, don't spend a lot on a reel. I would just keep the one you have. The major role of the reel is to hold the line. I usually turn my drag off, or use my Ross that doesn't have a drag, because I don't fight my fish with the reel. My favorite rod is my a 8'6" 4wt. The only time I step up to a bigger rod is when I fish still water from my toon. But for any river around here, including the Green, Provo, Weber, I love my 4 wt.
[signature]
Sin, in the early days of the 555 the reports were terrible. I take it they have improved. Have you been using them long?
[signature]