Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk suckers
I want to catch me some suckers so that I can fillet them for fishing bait. I know that Bear Lake has them, but that is over 2 hours away, and I really prefer not to drive that far to catch my bait. Does anyone know where I can catch some closer to the SLC area?
[signature]
Jordanelle is full of chubs, do those work!!! I cant keep them off my line when i go up there. Last year I stayed for a overnighter, in 2 days, I probably caught 300!!! That is where I would go
[signature]
Farmington pond also has some. I always catch them by putting a worm right on the bottom.
[signature]
YEAH JORDANELLE HAS TONS OF CHUBS I WAS CATCHING THEM ON JIGS WHITE JIGS ALMOST EVERY CAST IN THE THE FIRST COVE AS YOU ENTER WHERE THE PROVO COMES IN TO THE LAKE ON THE NORTH EAST SIDE OF THE LAKE IF THAT MAKES SENCE [Wink] INFESTED THERE
[signature]
I am able to net plenty of chubs at Strawberry, but I also wanted to be able to add sucker to my choice of baits. I understand it stays on a jig really well. At Strawberry one can catch the chubs at the docks with a casting net, are the chubs in large schools by the docks at Jordanelle also?
[signature]
I would have to agree with everyone else. When I was at Jordanelle fishing for rainbows I was getting mad because everything that I caught was those chub fish or suckers, whatever you want to call them. We were on the northern part and that's all that we could catch.

happy chubin'
[signature]
Like guest said hit the Jordan river. I didn't have time to go to a lake the other day so I hit the Jordan for a little while. Went there to see if there was any walleye biting didn't have any luck on any thing hitting my crawler so I moved down to the riffles and I could see the suckers so I started snagging them. Caught at least ten anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds, lots of bait there.
[signature]
Well Kent, I dont know if you call carp and sucker the same thing. I know some do and some dont. But if you want to head to pineview in the morning or later after noon go to the for south east corner, where the old road goes in to the lake, and just throw a worm or cheese. Yuo an get some HUGE CARP in there and some muddies for a little fun. might even get lucky and get a real fish. As for what I think you asking for as a sucker. I would just go to the B- ponds buddy.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
Took the family to YUBA a couple of weeks ago and the kids caught at least 20-30 suckers a day. None of them are really big 1-2# range. Perfect for cut bait. We have also caught lots on the Jordan River anywhere from the head gates to the lehi road is loaded with them. Good Luck.
[signature]
Hey Kent, the June suckers are running up the provo river. When you head down to Payson next time, just swing in there and raid the DWR fish traps. If regular suckers are good, endangered ones must be better.
O.K., just kidding.
The only place I catch lots of Suckers is in the Sevier River. Anywhere from Yuba to Delta. But thats even further from Salt Lake so,,,,,never mind.

walleyebob
[signature]
ok I stoped over to bountiful lake last night to see how the fishing was going. we was by where the creek goes in and I saw suckers running up the creek a few feet and acting like the wrer spawning. I know my fish and this were not the carp that the kids keeeped getting are chubs that you get up to that trout lake so many people fish. these were sucker so give that place a try and I know it's close to you because its close to me.hook all that you can or want there.oh by the way hooked 3 lm bass there only about 10" long but fun.
[signature]
Hi Kent, I know this is no real help, but several years ago I snagged a real nice sucker off the bottom of East Canyon Res. using a fly. I thought I had a huge trout, until I got a look at what I had. Good luck to you Kent.
[signature]
The Jordan River has alot of suckers and any of the streams that run into it.Such as Millcreek, Little Cottonwood , Big Cottonwood. But you'll want to fish these streams pretty close to were they run into the Jordan River.Me and my little boy fished the Millcreek at Fitts park a couple weeks ago and caught several suckers that I gave to some Bosnians.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies -- sounds like I need to hit the Jordan River.
[signature]