Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Walleye Caught at Utah Lake?
Just wondering if any are being caught yet and if they are staging in any numbers? Want to get out this weekend and try it. I usually fish the north end of the lake around Lindon Harbor and American Fork River outlet.
[signature]
That might not be the best way to find out if any are being caught. From my experience there aren't too many willing to share their walleye reports from out there. (either that or no one can really catch anything worth reporting.) Anyway, I drove out on sudnay and things were still pretty slow. I fished for an hour without a bite and the others out there didn't catch any either. There were quite a few guys trying though.
[signature]
No one will tell you when they are biting just check the water temps go by that.
[signature]
Walleye are biting as soon as you can get on the water. Right now they are hungry and the the big females are putting on weight for the spawn. The trick is finding them. They are not in their spawning locations,,but close.
I'm looking out my window at that big bright moon
(its four A.M.), and wishing I had enough ambition to hook up the boat and head down there.
Some of the best walleye action is when there are still so many chunks of ice floating in the lake that you are constantly setting the hook on them. Then bam, an ice chunk turns out to be a big fish. I just don't enjoy freezing my butt off like I did twenty years ago.
[signature]
Your absolutely right its not the best way but I took a stab at it lol! I will be out there either way, just thought one of the Walleye guys might squeak out a hint or two, which they did so I'm happy!
[signature]
What is that magic water temp for Walleye?
[signature]
I have found in the past that at Willard the temps need to be in the mid to upper 40's for them to start spawning, not sure if that is what you were asking or not? I have caught them prespawn when water is colder but the areas fished and tactics to catch them are different. Crankem is the man you want to contact on this subject. I have never caught many female walleye during the spawn at Willard unlike Utah Lake where they seem to catch alot of the big females then. I would say if you fish Lake Powell this should be prime time for the eyes down there. Alot of area to fish and very little pressure this time of year and the last time I fished them there they were nice sized males 1 1/2 to 3 lbs. Good luck on the eyes and leave a few for me.[fishin]
[signature]
Use mister twisters curly tail grubs... Fished it real slow, drag it across their noses... The females are real hungry and they need to eat for their energy. You will come into some 'eyes if you are very patient and keep doing the same thing reel it real slow then repeat until you get a strike.

This is right now, with the last night's full moon... they might be full right now from the engorging of their snacks during the moonlight. Yeah don't let the ice intimidate you... they bite underneath melting and broken up ice floes.

Oh and stay out of the tributuaries leading to utah lake til first saturday of May....
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys. I have done ok for them in the past around the American Fork River outlet, but the last few years I can't seem to locate them anywhere. I havn't spent as much time as I used to in order to find them either and I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what time of year it was I was having the success. Now I know why I started a fishing journal to keep track of these sort of things. Thanks again
[signature]
I think were 2 or 3 days away from some good action. went down to the provo boat harbor and threw for about a half an hour. no bites, but ice free.
[signature]
Good cause thats when I will be there! I will be down there Friday and Saturday!
[signature]
Hell Bob, didn't we used to chase eyes during boat show weekend? Batteries are going in the boat sat. Time for a shake down cruz. Methinks, ISE weekend will have to do(sunday?).

[signature]
Meeeeee tooooooo!!!!!
[signature]
Yup. I'm way behind on getting my toys ready. Gotta get new line put on some reels, check my batteries, clean the boat out and get some curly tails made. I have a pretty good work schedule right now. I get mon., tues., and wed. off. Problem has been that those have been the worst weather days the last few weeks.
Where you going for a cruz?

LAKE X?
[signature]
Me and kazman went to utah lake thie evening but the wind was blowing hard!! To cold to fish and the whitecaps did not help.But friday and saturday should be good fishing weather . I will hit lincoln beach after work and see if the bite has started you just never know with this weather .
[signature]
Hey Bob, you have mon. and tues. off now ?? way cool dude. I'm headed your way this coming tuesday, should I stop by at about 6:00am for a trip to the beach with me ?? let me know ok. later chuck
[signature]
Played cast and retrieve for 5 hours straight on Friday night at the provo boat harbor. We were the only boat out there all night. We stayed til about an hour after dark without one bite. We hit it as hard as we could. The wind blew hard all evening but we fished through it trying to land just one! Don't know where people catch these early walleyes.

Saturday evening we tried the north end of the lake. We fished Saratoga harbor for a while just so we could catch fish. Caught a lot of white bass but no largemouth. Headed over to the American Fork River outlet to cap off the evening and continued to cast well into dark with no walleye bites here either. No wind on Saturday night made it nice to be out. I think its too early for walleye, but people continue to tell me that they catch them as early as February. I guess I will just keep fishing it every weekend til we catch some. I'm stubborn like that.[Wink]

If anyone would like to help me out in this excursion I am open to suggestions....... I am on a mission so to say! Feel free to PM me if you think you can help.
[signature]
this week is the week. the weather will put the temp where it needs to be. don't feel bad about not getting any at provo boat harbor no one is catching them yet. i go down there every day. water temp should be getting to around 45 by mid week
[signature]
Well like I said I will just keep going and tossing until it happens[Wink]
[signature]
i went down to the provo harbor about three times last week went for an hour to an hour and a half haven't even got a bite on anything ive thrown out there so hopefully the weather is nice and i can get my canoe out to cover more water and maybe catch a dang fish!
[signature]