Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A cautionary tale !!
One spring, a rancher decided that he needed to increase his herd, so he purchased several prize bulls to put in with his heifers. As time went by and he observed his herd, he began to notice that the bulls were mounting his heifers. Man those heifers look good, so as the bulls were doing their thing, he grabbed his gun and went out and shot those heifers one by one. Pretty soon all he had left were the bulls and he began to wonder where his calves were !!!!! As spring progresses, remember that those big female walleye are the SPAWNERS that produce all the little walleye. Let's all practice some catch and release on these big females, keep a few males, but let them do their thing unmolested. After the spawn, in late April and May, we can beat up on them, although letting the big females go is still a good idea. The "run" is not really the time to be bagging a limit. Go after the white bass, a few crappie, and perch, even a LMB now and then, but let the walleye do their thing.
how can you tell the diffrence between a male and female walleye?
[signature]
Females are probably 3 times the size of males. Another words they are the Toads.
[signature]
Let me make sure I understand you correctly. We should be breeding Walleye to prized bulls during the spawn and shooting heifers any time they harvest a white or large mouth bass. Right?[sly]
[signature]
I do love a man with a sense of humor, a rare find these days.
[quote Therapist]I do love a man with a sense of humor, a rare find these days.[/quote]

I could say the same thing.[Wink]
[signature]
Well you both love men......good for you!
[signature]
Heeyyyy! We've got a board full of comedians. Who knew?

You were joking, right?[unimpressed]
[signature]
lol
[signature]
[quote LordoftheFlies]Heeyyyy! We've got a board full of comedians. Who knew?

You were joking, right?[unimpressed][/quote]

LOL...LMAO... My...my...my stomach....my stomsch hurts....LOL
[signature]
Quite a story......I thought it was going to be a joke.....Never the less it was a good way to get your point across..........I'd have to agree with your thinking on the catch and release thing.
The bull thing reminded me of the daddy bull and the baby bull walking over the hill.They saw some female cows below.Baby bull said lets run down there and do us one of them milkers, daddy bull said no lets walk down there and do them all..........
If a farmer had 5 bails of hay and daddy bull ate 3 and baby bull ate 1.How many would mommy bull eat?.............If you said 1 your not right because theirs not such a thing as a mommy bull......................I don't think I'll tell you the one about the cow that got its head caught in the fence.[Wink]
[signature]
LOL
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's a lotta "bull".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah Lake is not suffering from a walleye deficiency. Losing a few spawners will not crash the walleye population. It needs some thinning. Like most places where walleye live, they are in little danger from anglers. Far more die from old age than are ever harvested.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most "seasoned" anglers become ingrained with the philosophy that all big spawners should be returned to the water...to perpetuate the race and to enhance the "gene pool". That is a good policy in many waters, with some species. But, totally unneccessary in Utah Lake for Walleyes. The only good reason for releasing the larger fish is because the smaller ones are better eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm guessing that there are probably not more than 50 big females harvested all year from Utah Lake. Well, maybe more if you add in all those who are taken on "Provo River Dry Flies"...big treble hooks. And, there are not tremendous numbers of walleyes of any size taken from the lake, in proportion to the population. Most 'eyes caught from that lake are caught by accident, on bait or lures being fished for other species. There are only a handful of folks who can specifically target walleyes and count on catching a few. I doubt that there have been many limits taken in the past few years. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]There are only a handful of folks who can specifically target walleyes and count on catching a few. I doubt that there have been many limits taken in the past few years. [/#0000ff][/quote]

I've fished Utah Lake many times over the years and have yet to catch a walleye! And I have fished in the middle of the night quite a few times. I always manage to get a bass or some catfish, but never a walleye.
[signature]
Adhering to the existing regulations would be a good start. While I haven't seen many walleye limits taken on Utah Lake, I have seen anglers with three or four over 24 inches. Fishing regulations allow only one of that size to be kept. Usually this happens when wading anglers are fishing right off the tributaries during the spawn.
[signature]
There are only a few guys that really knock them dead in the spring consistantly, my brother-in-law and his buddies are part of that group. The walleye you see me holding in my profile were taken on Utah lake fishing with him the first part of March 2005, the two of us put over 20 in the boat that day. Like I said last year was one of his worst seasons in years. He has lived near and fished the Lake since the early 70's he currently resides in AF. Any of the guys that fish Utah Lake much have probably met him, his name is Ed and he sells tons of Jigs that he makes each year to local fisherman. If he is not tubing or fishing off the dike he runs a Green Tracker Magna 17.[fishin]
[signature]
I agree. I have spent a lot of time fishing for those nasty buggers (that taste so good). True, I don't know what I am doing.

As long as we are on the subject of those who don't know what they are doing, lets leave the making of fishing regulations up to those who are informed. It is true that the DWR makes mistakes, but I bet they would not make as many mistakes as we would if it was BFT's job to dictate policy.
[signature]
Ditto. I also fished during the run, at night, etc. I've hit Utah lake at least 10 times. Only caught walleyes at Starvation. Bird Island at Utah Lake proved unproductive. Nada at Deer Creek and Willard either. I still go anyway.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff][/#0000ff][#0000ff] I doubt that there have been many limits taken in the past few years. [/#0000ff][/quote]

I agree with this as well. seems like there are a few guys here and there that will catch 1. Others, like Mr.Crestliner mentioned.. have put in their time and can consistently catch some.

I love this about Utah Lake.. there is a whole lotta water.. whole lotta walleyes, and probably less than 75 anglers in the state that can go there and consistently catch them. But even they might only have 1 or 2 trips a year that they pull a limit out.

This will be my 5th straight year in pursuit of the white dot on the tail! To my embarrassment, I have 2 fish to show for it. I have some good vibes tingling in me for this year, things I have changed.. pre-planned strategies that are different than the other years.. much more reading and talking with anglers in the know.

I love that the successful anglers are usually somewhat tight-lipped about the sucessful strategies. Utah Lake Walleye are a great challenge... worth persuit!

I've been on the provo harbor arm during the run when it was almost shoulder to shoulder angler on the whole arm. 1 (ONE) walleye was pulled out of the water the whole time I was there. The eyes are definately winning the battle on Utah Lake!
[signature]
TD how many Eyes have you cough at UL?
[signature]