Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StrikeMaster Mag 2000 Power Auger Help!
My wife did a very nice thing and ordered one of these for me online. Too bad it showed up today on the UPS truck after three days of hand augering up at Strawberry!

I am trying to decide whether to keep it or not. Does anyone have one? Do you like it? Should I send it back and get a Jiffy or Eskimo next season? I am not super impressed - it is 2 hp, only has a single blade, and the handles are plastic, which seems like a really stupid thing to do for something that is supposed to work in sub-zero weather. But, it seems pretty light, which is a plus. Any help or info would be much appreciated.

[url "http://www.strikemaster.com/mag_2000.html"]http://www.strikemaster.com/mag_2000.html[/url]
[signature]
I would send it back and get the Electra from strikemaster. I have used the electra for YEARs even in Nord dakota where I have had to put an extention on the auger to get through 4 fet of ice and I LOVE IT!!! No joke, a few of the guys here on the site saw me use it on Pineveiw and Mantua this winter and were in shock & aw over it. It's light has LOTS of power, and you don't have to worry about it starting, just push the botton. Aside from my vexilar and aqua-vu its the best thing in my inventory!!!
[signature]
I just bought my dads Mag 2000 and it is the best auger i have ever seen. It always starts, cuts fast, and the only problem he has ever had was the pull rope broke this season. You got a good one.[cool]
[signature]
I like the Electra. "[font "Verdana"][size 2]It's So Quiet, The Fish Won't Know You're There." That's great. That's what I used to say about my hand auger until I started getting old, fat, and out of shape. I am done drilling throught 2 feet of ice with a hand auger.[/size][/font]

[font "Verdana"][size 2]So the ad says that both the Electra and the Mag 2000 have the Tufflite Dupont Zytel Handle System. Is it plastic? What do you think about durability?[/size][/font]
[signature]
I've owned nothing but StrikeMaster and after the hell I've seen many of the other brands give folks I wouldnt buy anything but a StrikeMaster..

The first I bought 17 years ago and I sold it in good running condition 2 years ago. It was an 8" Mag II with the single"chipper" blade and I have to believe thats probably what your dealing with. (Never) in the 17 years I owned that old Mag did I have to change or shapen the blade.
Now I have a 10" Laze, Bought 4 years ago, and I've changed the blades twice, at $45 bucks a pop. I think the old clipper blade is by far the best blade set up Strikemaster has sold..
Would I keep it if I were you if what you have is the chipper blade,, no doubt.. And if its an 8" or less the 2 hp is plenty of power.. As far as the "plastic handles,, there tough, REAL Tough!!
Strikemaster makes a tough auger. Anyone that has fished with me know I put my lazer though hell at times and it keeps on kicking. Neither did the old Mag, or the Lacer I have now, fail to start ..
[signature]
Yeah its plastic and I even broke my handle this year. I fell on the ice nad my fat butt landed on the auger and snapped the handle. I called strikemaster and told them the truth about what happened and they sent me a new one in the mail. They just told me to throw out the old one. They didn't even check my warrenty number they just said ,"westand behind our stuff" and sent it to me, overnight so I ahad it the next day. But ya know what, I didn't even replace it yet. With the electra since it is a lazer blades you don't need to push down on the auger, in fact you aren't supposed to, so I was still able to use it the the crack in it... Can you beleive that? The thing is unreal!!!
[signature]
Thanks guys for the info. It is, in fact, the single chipper blade in the 8 inch model. I wondered about the single blade, because you know, 2 is better than one right?

It sounds like my wife knows more about power augers than I do! She may have been having a moment of frailty when she ordered it, but I won't hold it against her!

I guess I better tuck it away in a nice safe place for next year (or next week if I really get the itch to try it out). The last three days at Strawberry were supposed to be my last ice fishing trip of the season. Its going to be winter up there for a while yet...
[signature]
As long as its made by strikeMaster I don’t think you can go wrong. I bought my first auger this season and bought an Eskimo because my buddy had one and he said he liked it. So I took it out and it took me forever to drill a hole with it and after I had drilled a hole with a StrikeMaster the trip before I bought the Eskimo and had some thing to compare it to I went right out and returned my Eskimo and bought a StrikeMaster and It is the best I don’t know much about any of the other brands but there is my two cents.
[signature]
Tha Strikemaster is a GREAT auger! I too got tired or hand drilling holes this year and bought a used Lazer Mag....WOW! I am impressed at how quickly it drills holes but better yet, it starts within two pulls everytime, doesn't leak gas, runs great, and is very simple to maintain. I would suggest getting some Seafoam to add to your fuel. If you take care of the carburator, that auger will take care of you for a long time.

Chad Miller
[signature]
Fishdude, I've owned two strickmasters for a total of 16 years, sold the 8" after 8 years and it is still going strong. Bought a 10" and after 8 years and lots of holes still starts quick, IF I ADD STABLE when i store it, and I save the blades when they get dull. Then when I have three of the old blades I send them back to strikemaster and they will re-sharpen them at about one third the cost of a new one. Three new blades for the price of one and thats a lot of holes. And like has been said before, they drill faster than the ?????. KEEP IT!!!!!
[signature]
[Smile]hey fishdude i have had my 8" 2hp strikemaster power auger with the one chipper blade on it. I would'nt have anyone but that one. I have had mine for 17 years and have drilled thousands of holes. I have never had a second worth of problems out of it. My dad and a friend have had theres for well over 20+ years and they still run and cut as good as the day they bought them.

Mine has the metal handles and is heavier than the new ones but know alot of people that have them with the new plastic handles and use them all the time at below zero temperatures with no problems at all.

I have only replaced the chipper blade one time in all those years of ice fishing. I have used and seen the strikemaster Lazer Mag power augers with the two blades and they cut faster than the chipper blade but seem to dull out alot faster. Two blades are'nt always better, they cut a little faster but love mine. Just my 2 cents

If you need any parts or a place to repair any strikemaster products Check out a place called D-Rock supply and repair. They have every part, blade, pull rope, etc. you could every need at better prices than most retail stores and also do repairs on the engine and crankcases if you need. They are helpfull and fast shipping.

If mine where to blow up, kick the bucket or anything else and need a replacement I would'nt even look at any other brand I would just go and buy a new strikemaster power auger and stay with the one chipper blade. Hope this helps and good luck ice fishing. If I were you I would take your wife out for a nice dinner or some shopping for buying you a new power aguer. trfishin
[signature]
I've had two lazer Mag 2000 augers that one of them I've had for over 13 years and just bought a new one with a single chipper blade which I love. On too many occasions I've had to drill holes for people who can't get their Eskimo running. Stick with the Strikemaster!
[signature]
Thanks again guys for all of the feedback. I have already let my lovely wife know that I will be keeping her gift. I am actually a little surprised that I didn't get any comments from proponents of other brands telling me not to keep it. I guess that means there just aren't too many people out there that have had one and been dissatisfied.

Now that my season is probably done, I will be itching to use it until next year!
[signature]