Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Trip Report
[Wink][Wink] Sorry about the delay on posting the result of our trip to the gorge. We have had some problems with our internet. We launched our boats on Friday(5-30-03) and fished our guts out until Monday(6-2-03) without any signs of a fish or let alone a hit. We jigged bunny jigs, tubes with sucker meat, trolled crocidiles, trolled popgear for bows and kokanee. You named we tried it. Finally on Monday afternoon a very nice gentleman at the KOA we were staying in told us we were fishing too deep. He told us to fish a flasher/ squid combo in 30 to 50 feet of water out on Antelope Flat trolling at 3.5 miles per hour. He showed us on the map which to points to troll between and everything. To make a long story short, we started in this area Tuesday morning and before 7:00am we boated three macs. Before we left Thursday morning we boated 26 macs between the two boats. 8 of the 26 were under 15lbs. All the other ones went between 15 and 33lbs. This turned out to be a trip to remember. We fished from five in the morning until noon when the wind machine kicked in. The water temp was between 59 and 62 degrees depending what time of day it was. There were a few boats jigging and catching fish in this area also. We were setting our down riggers at 27 feet and not moving them at all even if we were moving across deeper water. We never trolled in water less than 30 feet so we never had to worry about the bottom. I have tons of pictures if anyone wants to see them. I still haven't been able to figure out how to post pics so I could use some help. Thanks to all the guys on this board that sent me info on the gorge.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Pictures? I love pictures! Yes, I want to see them. GREAT TRIP![/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Crestliner asked me to post a few of his fish from his Flaming Gorge Trip. They had a great trip as you can plainly see. No guppies here! This is my kind of fishing! Ands NO, he won't take you 'cause he's taking me...[/size][/font] [center][Image: crestliner_1.jpg][/center] [center]

[/center] [center][Image: crestliner_2.jpg][/center] [center]

[/center] [center][Image: crestliner_4.jpg][/center] [center]

[/center][url "http://home.attbi.com/~bearlakemack/crestliner_1.jpg"][/url] [center][Image: crestliner_3.jpg][/center] [center]

[/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Crestliner, I hope you're ready for the pile of PMs you're going to get. You better make a form letter and, Kent! No, he won't be your new best friend. You're only allow 12 PMs to him about his trip![Tongue][/size][/font]
[signature]
Only thing that could make them pics better is a "RAIDERS" Hat!!!"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.[Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
You ever get anything like that giant one out of Bear Lake,BLM.

Man that fish must of taken along time to get in?

Did the jigging guys catch any big fish crestliner?

The gentlemen that gave you that info is just like alot of the guys on this site,spreading the fun of fishing is what its all about.hope you bought him a beer.LOL

Thanks for any info.

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
I'd drive right past Deer Creek to get into fish like that. I agree a raiders hat would look better in the pictures. Really nice fish. I would have bought that nice fellow a case of beer.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I think the "Offical" lake record for Bear Lake is just a little over 31 lbs if I remember right. That fish that Crestliner's boy is holding beats that by better than two pounds! Nope, I've never caught lake trout that big in Bear Lake. Heck, any fish over twenty lbs. in Bear Lake is considered a nice trophy.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]One beer? I'd of taken him a case, sat down and drank a few with him and tried to see if he had any more info. I just hope I'd remember it in the morning![/size][/font]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile] I have a Raiders hat I could have worn but the bad language would not good to post on this site with my pictures. The fish my boy caught scorched out 300 feet of fireline right down to the knot. We had to chase him with the boat just so he wouldn't break off. The one guy in the other boat that was with us beat my boys fish by 3 pounds. Hard to believe they were only in 40 feet of water.
[signature]
C-Liner,

What type of squids were you using.

IFG
The green and light blue combination, the dark green with white and the blue and silver were the ones that seem to produce the best. They were the four inch plastic ones that come already set up with hooks and leader.
[signature]
NICE FISH......................

EAGLES hat would be the best bet though [Wink]
[signature]
I can see it was definitely a trip to remember, great pics, good job.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]"and, Kent! No, he won't be your new best friend. You're only allow 12 PMs to him about his trip![/font][Tongue]" BLM, I'm starting to forget what you look like, we need to get out on the water again. Hey Crestliner, I'll furnish the Flaming Gorge pass any time you want to go. It has hardly been used -- in fact, as BLM will point out, it hasn't been used at all. I will even furnish the squid lures, I have a whole box of them, that also have not been used. Fear not fellow fishermen/women my pass will get some use out it, but first I might have to go after those 5 to 8 feet sturgeon.
[signature]
Just for the record, that hat is phat. Glad to see some smart football fans on the other side of the divide!!!

What color and how big of a flasher were you using?
[signature]
That is a killer trip in anyones book. Thanks for posting the nice pics.
[signature]
When you grow up in Colorado your blood turns orange and blue!!!!! Once a Bronco fan always a Bronco fan. Notice how many more band wagon Raider fans there are since they started playing well the last couple of years! What part of Colorado are you from???? We were using the Paint Spatter 14" flasher made by Gold Star. The green glow and the flame glow worked the best. I have shopped around everywhere for these flashers in stores and the only place I could find them was at [url "http://www.silverhorde.com"]www.silverhorde.com[/url] out of Washington.
[signature]
Born in Denver, raised in Sterling (Northeast Colorado) and now living in South Metro Denver. I actually work right across the street from Broncos Headquarters and watch them practice as I eat lunch in the park.

I have friend who lived in California for a couple years and came back a Raiders fan. I ask...What happened to the 20 years you were raised here in Colorado? Bronco Haters....YUCK.
[signature]
I lived in Sterling for one year and lived outside of Fleming for five years. Lived in the Longmont area for 9 years before moving to Utah.
[signature]
No band wagon here grew up in Hayward and San Leandro which is right next to Oakland. Only time I didn't root for the raiders were when they moved to L.A. then I became a 49ers fan now I have two teams I call my teams both bay area teams.
[signature]
Not sure how long ago you lived in northeast colorado, but did you ever get a chance to fish Big Mac?
[signature]