Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Sat.
[size 2]Well got up at 4:00 am to meet up with Old Coot for some wipe fishing at Willard. Dodged a deer in Parleys Canyon, a flock of ducks near Kaysville (mother and chicks crossing the hiway), and met with him at Smith and Edward’s at 6:00 am. Off to Willard we went

Launched his boat and we were off to catch all the wipers at Willard Bay and them come here to brag! It was a little windy when we left and by the time we got to the southwest corner it really started to blow. Life jackets for everyone, oh did I mention that it was Fishboy 2, old coot, and myself. Quite the boatload it was. Old Coot not wanting to endanger his guest (and rightfully so) suggested that we head in and wait this wind out. So off we went to safer waters, by the time we got across the bay the wind was dying down so we started fishing again. If you have not had the pleasure of fishing with the Coot you are missing out. He is as gracious fishing host as he is at hosting a feeding frenzy! Well as luck would have it Old Coot hooks up with the first wiper. He without hesitation hands his pole to FB2 so that he can land his 1st wiper. Ya should have seen the Smile on that boy’s face! Now Old Coot sez "kind of small" and I’m thinking, "that is small?" It appears to be around 18/19 inches and around 2 pounds. My thought was keeper yeppers looks like a dinner to me. So after some discussion he breaks out the stringer and we have our first fish of the day. Now Old Coot is promising many more of these <grins>, like maybe he has struck a deal with the King Wiper. We troll some more, I change lures, change lures, try grubs, try smelly jelly, try some more lures, try some jigs and BLAM, Old Coot hooks up again. Turns and hands the pole to FB2 once more and he’s in for a bit more of a fight this time. Another nice fish around 2 and a half pounds. FB2 is grinning from ear to ear and having the time of his life. I try another lure, another jig, another grub. The weather has turned very, very nice now and Old Coot assure us that we will be catching fish any moment <grins> now. Then it happens FB2 hooks up! His 1st wiper, coot and I reel in so as not to get tangled with his line and we wait. Old Coot is giving FB2 instructions as how to handle the rod and pole so as not to loose this fish. And walla, there it is at the side of the boat, and a real nice one too. Now lets recap here ……. Old Coot; 2, Fishboy2; 1, Road; 0 I see a nasty trend developing here. Back to the trolling we go, I change lures again, good thing old coot has a tacklebox full of them!!! Now Old coot hooks up again, and this time he hands me his pole, what a guy! So I crank it in and what do we have at the end of the line. Nothing less than a beautiful walleye, not your typical walleye but one close to 24 inches. Got to hand to Old Coot he sure knows that body of water. As he rigging up again a little light goes on and he said I think I know why you are not getting any hits. It’s the color of your line, would you like to try some vanishing leader? Heck yes I say (like I’m ready to try diving in and catching them with my mouth it that would work). So I add some clear leader and we are now back at the southwest corner and sure enough I hook up with my 1st wiper. Not a giant by standards (in fact pretty small) but a start. I get another good hit but miss it and it is now way past time to go. As we are leaving we see AFDan out there in his boat so we stop by and say hello. Nice to see another fellow BFTer while out fishing. I would like to say thanks again to Old Coot for inviting FB2 and myself along for some wiper fishing. BTW they tasted great for dinner tonight; FB2 cooked them up just perfect! Served them with a nice rice/almond side dish does it get any better than that? It was fun Old Coot, you’ll have to come to my neck of the woods and I’ll treat ya to some great trout fishing..[/size]
[signature]
Thats great you made it out wiper fishing and landed a few.
Now FB2 will understand why we all like wiper fishing and he can stop heckling us. Keep in touch Road.
[signature]
well as for heckling you, it will slow but i still like bass more. hey check out my post it was up first but had some problems and needed to be deleted, it is less long winded.
[signature]