Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Shore Access
I've been wanting to go give Willard a try from shore or from my float tube. I've only been there twice, and I wasn't the one driving, so I was wondering are there any places to fish from shore without entering the state park area? I'm a poor college student and there is no way that I could afford shelling out $10 to go fishing there for just a few hours, it's already $26 dollars for a license, not to mention the soon to be $5.00 a gallon for gas this summer! I don't need to use the cleaning stations, restrooms, boat launch, etc. just need to find a place where I can catch a few catfish, walleyes, or maybe even a wiper. If the only access is through the fee stations than I'll just have to keep dreaming about fishing there and wait until I win "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" or "Deal or no Deal". Or just be happy fishing Kaysville pond for slimers.[fishon]
The south Marina is locked, I belive you can walk-in without paying, while it is closed, someone correct me if I am wrong. The Channel over ther is closed to fishing until end of April, but you can get out into the lake from there.
[signature]
You can access the bay in several different areas. The very south end has an access that goes around the whole south side, and part of the west side. You can use that as much as you like. The road is a little rough, but still passable by most cars. You get there by taking the road to in front of Smith and Edwards, and just keep going straight until it turns to dirt and curves sharply to the right. This road will get your right next to the dike.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]It's been years since I used the road TKB is talking about, but it used to go completely around the outside of the reservoir. Driving in from S & E will bring you to the south side about midway from east to west. From there it hugs the damn all the way around to the very northeast corner just outside the north marina entrance. You can stop anyplace you care to on this outer road and walk up over the damn and fish as long as you like for free (except the cost of the gas to get there). Fishing it from my boat, I've noticed that the southwest and northwest corners are very popular for shore fishing. Good luck.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[cool][#0000ff]As others have advised, you can fish anywhere around the perimeter of Willard that is not inside the designated area for one of the two State Park marinas. My driving around the dirt road, at the base of the dike around the south and west sides, you can park almost anywhere and trudge up over the dike to fish...or take your tube if you are brave or foolish enough to launch off the rocks. Been there done that. Doable but dangerous.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching an updated shore fishing guide I put together when the water was low. It addresses the newer high water conditions we should see soon.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful![Smile]
dubob- you need to quit "cuzzing' out the dam... it's the damned dammed dam!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]My bad! You, of course, are correct. My apologies to anyone that was offended.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
If you go to the South Marina,keep going North to the Gun Club.The road then turns East,keep going until you see the first left turn that takes you back towards the dike at willard.Follow that dirt road all the way to the South<East dike.You will beable to se I-15.At least you could access The Dike there Last year.
[signature]
I'm not the least bit offended at all... I was just joshing ya!
[signature]